Quantcast Thoughts on Wilderness Lodge

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on Wilderness Lodge

I just booked a trip for January at the Wilderness Lodge. We've never stayed at a Deluxe resort before and I'm very excited. Can anyone let me know of any "must not miss" things at the resort? Also, I gave my kids a choice between Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge and, much to my surprise, they picked Wilderness. Any thoughts?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We're staying there for our 1st time in October, although we've visited and ate there on different occasions.

WL has very nice fine dining - if it's in your budget, Artist Point makes for a nice evening meal.

Electrical Waterpagent makes a stop at the Wilderness Lodge in the evenings as it makes its rounds around the 7 seas lagoon and Bay lake - make sure to see that (lasts about 10 minutes or so).

Make use of the water taxi - to the Magic Kingdom.

I'm sure others will come up with a lot more. It's a beautiful hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely loved it. Be sure to take the tour. I am sure that someone will have the details. Roaring forks was not bad -- filled most of our needs. Great pool. Bunk Bed room worked out well for us. Be sure to look around the resort -- there are many nooks and crannies to explore and enjoy. You will love it.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't stayed there yet but it looks gorgeous. Enjoy!

WL seems like something my DH would love. We're already booked at POFQ for November & I gave him the option of upgrading to WL, and to my surprise he wants to stay with POFQ. I guess I did too good of a job selling him on POFQ
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time! We went to this resort when it first opened and have been back 4 times since!
    My sister and I love to talk and catch up late @ night in front of the big fireplace sitting in the rocking chairs!
    Every 15 mins (I think) go outside and catch the geyser!
    If you have time rent boats or bikes WL has some of the best trails to go around.
    Hopefully it will be warm enough for you to swim in the pool and also notice where it begins
    The ferry ride to MK is relaxing
    Just like Scott C mentioned there are so many nooks and crannies to find especially if you are looking for a quiet spot mine is right when you enter the Lodge take the first staircase you see and there are sitting areas that are perfect for reading or people watch below!

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

WARNING -- BIASED OPINION -- WARNING

1) I think you made a wise choice with WL.
    2) You should truly enjoy your visit.
    . . . take the tour (Sun-Wed, 9:00am)
    . . . visit the Iron Spike Room and see Walt trains
    . . . sit and wonder at the lobby & listen to the music
    . . . stroll the grounds
    . . . rent a boat and sail the lakes
    . . . play in the beach sand
    . . . walk (or ferry) to Fort Wilderness
    . . . take in the nightly campfire
    . . . see the geyser (on the hour)
    . . . try to be Flag Family *

* First-come-first-served to be the ones to raise the flags. GREAT experience and views from the top of WL.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

You will love it! My husband and I stayed there for the first time on our honeymoon 3 years ago, and just had to go back again last year. We loved it so much, we bought into DVC (Wilderness Lodge as our home resort).

As others have mentioned, there is a Lodge tour (most weekday mornings at 9am), a beach where you can watch the Electrical Water Pageant, a top notch restaurant, and a fantastic snack place (Roaring Forks) - they have a breakfast croissant sandwich that we dream about when we aren't there.

You can also rent boats and bikes, and bike or walk to Fort Wildnerness. Fort Wilderness has a petting zoo and a Disney movie/bonfire (where you can get s'mores) most nights.

Oh! And definitely take the boat to Magic Kingdom (instead of a bus). The boat also goes to the Contemporary, and a different boat goes to Ft Wilderness.

Finally, you can get a set of clues from the front desk for hidden Mickey's all over the resort. The resort is just beautiful - check out the main lobby (and all the different levels of the lobby - lots of educational stuff regarding the fireplace and the many layers of rock), as
    well as the Villas lobby.

Enjoy!
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

we loved our stay at the WL...had a courtyard view and could hear the water in the "mountain stream" from our balcony...looking out towards bay lake with all the pine trees it felt very much (without mountains) like some of the lodges we've stayed at in Montana/wyoming. The lobby is pure magic, the pool is great and the water taxi service makes for a relaxing trip to the MK and back.

Also remember that you can ride the boat to the CR...catch the monorail there...and use monorail service to Epcot...hope you have an A+ stay.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

If we ever stay at a deluxe, this would be our first choice. I hope you have a wonderful time, can't wait to hear about it!

Post Thanks / Like

We also LOVE WL! I am curious what 'view' room you booked? Last trip we overlooked the pool & lake area. It was spectacular! Although next time I am considering a woods view.
    I enjoyed getting a dessert bar (YUMMY) & a cup of coffee (refillable mugs) in the evening and eating on the outdoor patio. The coffee is Necafe-not good for an avid coffee drinker, but the atmosphere more than makes up for its shortcomings!
    1987-off site (Honeymoon)
    1992-off site (5/3 yr. old)
    1995/97/99 FW
    2000-WL
    2001/02/03 -FW
    2005-FW
    2008-FW(still camping w/the kids)
    2009-WL (No Kids!)
    2011-WL
    2012-WL (25th Anniv)
    2015-POFQ
    2017-30th Anniv trip w/kids & grandkids! MK for a day!
    2018-FW in OCT! (camping with MOOSE)

Post Thanks / Like

As Rusty said, request to be the Flag Family of the Day. I've heard it's a fabulous experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone that has replied; I'm so excited! Because of cost, we're booked in a standard view right now, but I'm hoping that there will be some type of passholder rate for this time and I'll be able to change to a better view.

Does anyone know if there is a charge for the Lodge tour?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what everyone has said here! I've stayed at both the WL and the AKL. You can't beat WL for location! Definitely take the boat to MK, it's a much nicer experience.

Don't forget to ask for ketchup if you eat at Whispering Canyon (trust me...even if you don't use ketchup - ask for it anyway).

Have a wonderful time!!!
    *~*Kate*~*
    "Just keep swimming!" ~ Dory
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers..." ~ Haunted Mansion
    "I give myself very good advice but I very seldom follow it."
    ~ Alice

Past trips: Too many to count.

Next trip:
    September 2010!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clausjo View Post
    Thank you to everyone that has replied; I'm so excited! Because of cost, we're booked in a standard view right now, but I'm hoping that there will be some type of passholder rate for this time and I'll be able to change to a better view.

Does anyone know if there is a charge for the Lodge tour?
    Lodge tour is free -- Hopefully Stan is still there is is quite knowledgeable.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

So far, the WL is my favorite resort of them all. It's just a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing place. I loved all of the food options, the pool is great, and then the building and the grounds are just gorgeous. Enjoy!! I'm sure you will love it.

ºOºprprincessºOº

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

The lodge tour is great. Stan was there for ours this past March. He was wonderful.We call him the ambassador for the lodge. He truly loves his job and the lodge. It is very relaxing there. You made a great choice. We had every DVC option available for our upcoming Oct. trip and still choose to return to our home resort. It is magical there.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Stan was there in late May/early June. I saw him in the lobby!

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Though it has been 11 years since our stay in 1998, it continues to be our favorite resort. We visited in 1999 and 2003, and we plan on visiting again in 2010 no matter where we stay.
    My wife and I love the theme and the decor, and the dining can't be beat. Artist Point is our favorite restaurant in the World, though next time we plan to take our young kids to Whispering Canyon for a wonderful lunch or dinner. I can't wait to go, I'm getting so inspired here on these boards again!

Have a great time at WL! Take time to explore the resort, and try both restaurants.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Stan is still there. I talked to him last week by the geyser and again at the 4th floor sitting area above the lobby.

I am going to probably be the odd person out on this thread, but I was not overly impressed with the WL. I liked it, but not enough for a return visit. I thought the rooms were to small for us, the bedding was outdated and rough. And our general experience with the staff and overall service was plan BAD! To the point we were given 2 free nights.

The Lodge itself is beautiful. The pool was nice, but small and got REALLY crowded. We were also in a Courtyard View (rooms 4055 and 4057) right by the stream and it was really nice to sit out on the balcony at night and listen to it. I loved the boat transportation. The girls loved the pool parties. I also liked that its all under one roof.
    Jessica

Next Up - Aug 09' Wilderness Lodge
    98-08 - Shades of Green
    80-97 - Poly, CR, ASSports and family Condo at Daytona Beach.

Post Thanks / Like

If we ever take a resort only trip I think either Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge would be my resort choice. I love the music they play in teh lobby of the Wilderness lodge - it is like salve on your soul. The Courtyard is beautiful and I love the view out onto the lake.

I have alwyas wanted to spend more time at Fort Wilderness w/o actually staying there (I'm not big on camping) so I think if we stayed a WL we would do some exploring over there.

You can sign up for the camp fire movie - where the kids roast marshmellows and then you watch a Disney movie on a big screen. Always seemed like a lot of fun.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: