Quantcast WDW Raises Ticket Prices effective August 2nd - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    OK, with all the grousing and grumbling about this increase, I have one question....

If you cannot afford $32 (plus tax) more per person (actually less - $2 plus tax for PH, $2 plus tax for WPF, and if you used the $4 one day increase for each day of a 7 day ticket - $28 plus tax for the MYW ticket) for 7 days in WDW, you probably couldn't afford it in the first place, so why complain?

Flame me all you want, but this increase, although seemingly at a bad economic time, is minor and to be expected/planned for year on year. Guaranteed your travel expenses - gas/airfare - will increase much more than this.
    Well ... I'm not really sure I agree with your first assumption ... I mean, everyone has a breaking point where the budget just can't stretch anymore ...

In regards to your second point, you can't just look at it in terms of the increase between last year and this year. I don't think most people are grumbling about that (although some are, I suppose). Read my and John's posts about the increase over the last 10 years or so. The rate of increase on Disney's tickets has outpaced the rate of simple inflation by about 4 to 1.

That's pretty significant. By contrast, I can buy airline tickets for about the same price (if not less) as I could ten years ago.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, $32 isn't significant....for just me. It really starts to add up for my family of 6, though. Take into account that food, lodging and travel have increased and it all starts to add up pretty quickly.

Just 3 years ago (maybe 2) the kid meals were only $3.99. Now they're $4.99. That's a 25% markup in a relatively short period of time.

I still think the kid meals are a bargain, just not the deal they used to be.

I realize this thread is about ticket prices specifically, but they're a significant part of the bigger picture.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well ... I'm not really sure I agree with your first assumption ... I mean, everyone has a breaking point where the budget just can't stretch anymore ...

In regards to your second point, you can't just look at it in terms of the increase between last year and this year. I don't think most people are grumbling about that (although some are, I suppose). Read my and John's posts about the increase over the last 10 years or so. The rate of increase on Disney's tickets has outpaced the rate of simple inflation by about 4 to 1.

That's pretty significant. By contrast, I can buy airline tickets for about the same price (if not less) as I could ten years ago.
    Yep, I rmeember paying a little over $300 for a round trip ticket in '95. I'm upset if I pay more than $100 one way today.

As I've said before, tickets are a deal breaker for me for multiple trips. Airline and lodging I can swallow, but these ticket prices... They are out of hand...

Post Thanks / Like

they need the money from the ticket increase to build the new attractions and do all the rehabs that are coming soon
    ummmm when is that? and another reason i wont return this yr.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The rate of increase on Disney's tickets has outpaced the rate of simple inflation by about 4 to 1.

I think the numbers here are a little off, although the essence of this point (Disney rate of increase far out-pacing regular inflation and inflation in other industries) is valid.

If the ticket price went from $46 to $79 in 9 years, that is an annualized rate of increase of 6.193%. (It is tempting to take the "total" increase of 71.739% and divide it by 9, but rates of increase don't work that way...please trust me, I'm a math teacher, and I teach these problems all the time!) If regular consumer inflation had a "total" increase of 25.3% (I'm using the rate you originally posted) over 9 years, that turns out to be an annualized rate of increase of 2.538%

6.193% vs. 2.538%...still ridiculous. On the other hand, you could treat the tickets as an investment bearing a higher return than many cash accounts, CDs, and bonds...buy them in large quantities, then several years later, sell, sell, sell! (I don't even know if that's legal, but it doesn't matter, because I'm kidding, kidding, kidding.)

Post Thanks / Like

This is totally off what everyone is talking about but if the ticket price went up and you are there to celebrate your birthday, would the amount on the free gift card go up too?
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine it would but afterall this is Disney so who knows
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to get our two extra one day tickets at last year's price this week because the ITT at our military base still had some tickets from last year. I was not happy that I had forgotten to get these with our military tickets a couple of weeks ago and would have to pay the new price just because I was absent minded but it worked out. Still too expensive for one day. That is why we would never go just for one or two days. Tickets are much cheaper for a week. I wasn't surprised or upset that the prices went up because they have been doing that every year since who knows when. Yes, it is getting out of sight but not unexpected. It was only about $6 more. Of course, if customer service was going up along with the increase, that would be better like with the P.O. every time they raise their rates service goes down but I'm afraid, not so.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

This really stinks.

At least my mom already bought our tickets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    they need the money from the ticket increase to build the new attractions and do all the rehabs that are coming soon
    ummmm when is that? and another reason i wont return this yr.
    This would be true if the parks got the majority of their income from admission, but this isn't true. They get it from food and souvenirs.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Out Of Control

I know I'm a little late on this one, but when will it stop. The increases from year to year need to slow down. I guess they haven't been reading the papers. I know it may be only a dollar or so here and there but they need to have some respect for the little guys. I love WDW just like the rest of you but I think with this last jump is the last straw. Sadly I think it will be a while before my family and I return.
    Duck1

Post Thanks / Like

1) Mumble, Mumble.
    2) Grumble, Grumble.
    3) Why all the hubbub?

4) Disney knows you will pay!
    5) Regardless how much the increase.
    6) Even though increases outpaced inflation.
    7) And significantly outpaced union wages at WDW.

8) The only way to change this is not to go.
    9) But, the buying public are sheep, and follow blindly.
    10) Why else would the public accept
    . . . grossly higher ticket prices?
    . . . decrease food quality, due to DDP?
    . . . reduction in ride hours on some rides?
    . . . elimination of some rides, without replacement?
    . . . poorer resort customer service than at bargain-basement motels?

NOTE: Bluntly, unless one is willing to take a stand, one should not complain.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I have not read the complete thread, but going to Disney is still a luxury and not a necessity. Many complain when the service goes down and then complain when the costs go up. How do you expect to receive the same service for the same money year after year? Actually it seems to me that many expect more for less all the time.
    We all expect (or hope) our pays to go up every year. So do the Disney employees I would guess. The money has to come from somewhere. What we pay to get into a Disney Park is still well worth it to me for what you get compared to other amusement parks.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duck1 View Post
    I know I'm a little late on this one, but when will it stop. The increases from year to year need to slow down. I guess they haven't been reading the papers. I know it may be only a dollar or so here and there but they need to have some respect for the little guys.
    Do we all think prices on food, gas, utilities, and everything else will never go up? They do every year and Disney has to pay for all these things too. So do their employees. And of course our employers also increase prices regularly as well to pay our salary increases and the increasing costs of things they buy so they can continue in business. Oh and keep us employed!

Why do people in these threads always think that Disney somehow is different from every other business and should not increase prices? Every year costs go up and prices in all businesses will go up.

By the way, this year the toll cost on 417 from MCO increased 25%. I guess they are as unfeeling and poorly managed as Disney.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    Many complain when the service goes down and then complain when the costs go up. How do you expect to receive the same service for the same money year after year?
    This makes no sense at all ... people complain because the costs go up while the service goes down. They're not complaining because they're not getting better service for less money. I think it's perfectly reasonable to voice concern when costs increase at more than double the rate of inflation, while the value for your dollar keeps decreasing.

In fact, not complaining about that seems pretty strange to me. If any other company on the planet did that, people would complain ... and stop patronizing them, for that matter. The only way Disney gets away with it is because they have crazy brand loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Do we all think prices on food, gas, utilities, and everything else will never go up? They do every year and Disney has to pay for all these things too. So do their employees.
    The one thing I did think of is that minimum wage went up pretty significantly this year, so some of this increase may be used to offset those expenses.

Another "unintended consequence" of meddling in the free markets.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loyal To The Mouse

I agree the price of doing business is not cheep, but other businesses are doing what it takes to cut cost and make it easier on there customers to keep them coming back. Case and point. I have been going deep sea fishing for years. This year the captain I go with cut his price by $300.00 to help his customers and his business. Make no mistake I love going to WDW and someday I will return. The service has always been great. For what you pay to get in the service has to be great and I wouldn't expect anything else. As General MacArthur said "I will return".
    Duck1

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: