Quantcast Will Harry Potter Parklett make an Impact on Disney? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Universal numbers have been consistently down over the past few years, but they have been able to do very well because guest spending is up (making for a nice profit). Universal must be drooling over the idea of increased guest spending + additional attendance due to Potter.
    It's funny that you mentioned this because I just heard on a pod cast last week that they are doing very well and their profits are up. They don't even have any hotel deals going on like Disney. I think that City Walk must do very well. It is always crowded when we are there. I agree with you on the spending too. My son who is only 11 doesn't want to buy any disney character stuff but take him to Universal and there is the Simsons, MIB, Jurassic Park, Dueling Dragons, The Mummy. Now these are all things that he will buy into.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

hmmm....let me think about this:

No.....that about covers it

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Toad_Passenger View Post
    I love the idea of immersing msyelf in the "Land of Potter," but once I have my picture at Hogwart's, played around in my robe & wand, and ate lunch at the Three Broomsticks, U.S. will have to try and convince me that I need to visit over and over again!
    I think you'll be surprised. Unless you're just a hardcore Disney fan and refuse to embrace other theme parks I bet you'll find yourself liking what US has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Which version did you see though?
    I saw the original.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, am a complete Harry Potter addict and am absolutely thrilled about the opening of Harry Potter in US. My HP addiction is actually right up there with my Disney addiction, which I must say started well after I became hooked on Harry.

I will be making the trek down to see it when it opens, probably around the usual time I make a week long trip to WDW. I will most likely cut my visit to Disney parks by two days and would seriously consider staying in a US resort for those two days.

And I think that this "attraction" will have appeal for a long time to come. I still reread all the books several times a year, watch the movies frequently, and have tons of collectors items (and I am a young adult, hopefully with lots of years to travel in the future!) I don't see my love of HP dying down, much like my love of DW has not abated since I will have visited almost ten times in four years--having visited the same attractions, over and over. Also, I believe under the contract US has to include bits from the last two movies, which will be coming out after this section of the park opens so there will be updates. If they handle this right, it could be a goldmine.
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    What's the comparison at Disney? Just curious, I can't think of anything similar at Disney that's better. Kali?
    I'd say Dinosaur but only because the theme is the same, despite the fact that the ride systems are different. However, JP is better because it is a much more recognizable property and the ride itself is actually very well thought-through.

Dinosaur is a loud, mostly dark, poorly put-together attraction that shames the original ride its ride system was taken from, Indiana Jones. I would never consider Dinosaur to be better than Jurassic Park, OR Indiana Jones. In fact, it seems like when they were building Dinosaur they just ran out of money halfway through and instead turned off the lights.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is where the magic is...the real magic. I am not concerned about HP, Universal or the tooth fairy! I'm hard-core Disney all the way!
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Stephanie View Post
    Disney is where the magic is...the real magic. I am not concerned about HP, Universal or the tooth fairy! I'm hard-core Disney all the way!
    Yup yup yup! Couldn't agree more.

Disney isn't even about rides for me. It's about the foundation, the intention, the vision behind it all. I am only interested in Orlando for Walt's Wonderful World.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

But isn't the question - will it have an impact on disney?

While there are many people who say "not me, I love disney"- there are a great number of people who are saying
    "yes it will have an impact. I Love Disney, but I will want to check it out"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think you'll be surprised. Unless you're just a hardcore Disney fan and refuse to embrace other theme parks I bet you'll find yourself liking what US has to offer.
    I love all sorts of theme parks, Busch Gardens (Williamsburg) is one of my all-time favorites. I have been to U.S. on multiple occasions, and I was left less than impressed.

It just doesn't have the "flow" that other parks have. And, while the individual themes seem to work, there is no "overall" theme to U.S. that brings the park together. WDW & Busch Gardens have a main theme that is then represented through all of their "lands." U.S. just feels like a bunch of small theme parks thrown on the same land.
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Stephanie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marceline View Post
    Yup yup yup! Couldn't agree more.

Disney isn't even about rides for me. It's about the foundation, the intention, the vision behind it all. I am only interested in Orlando for Walt's Wonderful World.
    Right, but in fairness neither one of you appear to like Harry Potter at all, so your attendance at Disney isn't going to be affected by the creation of a land at a rival theme park in which you have no interest.

The folks Disney is concerned about losing are the 10 million or so folks who are hardcore Harry Potter fans.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I love Harry Potter and would definitely want to check out what US does. However, I would not cut a WDW visit short to do it. I wouldn't make a special trip down for it either, but maybe plan a visit when we're visiting family.

I've heard a lot of people say that US is nice, but if you expect WDW standards, you're going to be disappointed. I would go there with an open mind though and try to enjoy it for what it is. I agree with a PP though, for me, Disney is not about just rides, it's about a whole experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, I saw the Harry Potter movie recently and although I love the books, I am not impressed with the movies. I feel like the more HP is mass produced, the more it's watered down. Harry Potter enthusiasts usually are disgusted by the movies as well, at least those I know. I feel like the magic of Harry Potter won't be enough to bring "magic" to US like Disney would've been able to do with it. Some people may be glad that the movies weren't Disneyfied, but I sure would've liked to see the parklett made by Disney.

I just don't know if this park will sparkle like US thinks it will.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a hardcore disney fan and wanted to put off going to IOA for as long as possible I think ds will like their rides better and want to spend more time there and get bored with disney. But with the addition of HP we will be taking a day from our 2010 vacation to go to IOA and probably stay 1 night at one of there hotels to get front of the access and I suspect we will go there at least 1 day from every disney vacation from then on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
    I am a hardcore disney fan and wanted to put off going to IOA for as long as possible I think ds will like their rides better and want to spend more time there and get bored with disney. But with the addition of HP we will be taking a day from our 2010 vacation to go to IOA and probably stay 1 night at one of there hotels to get front of the access and I suspect we will go there at least 1 day from every disney vacation from then on.

As was said earlier, this is only a couple of hardcore Disney fans wanteing to try a new vacation place, not everyone will be won over... Disney has the magic and everyone craves it at least once in their life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antngoof89 View Post
    Harry Potter enthusiasts usually are disgusted by the movies as well, at least those I know.
    Maybe the purists with unrealistic expectations. They go in expecting to see a verbatim adaptation and are always disappointed. You can't ever expect a book to translate perfectly to film because things that work in literature don't always work on screen. Not to mention if they included EVERYTHING, especially with the increasing length of the books as they progress through the series, the films could easily be upwards of four hours.

I, personally, enjoyed the 6th film, and considering how 3, 4, and 5 were not as faithful (again, thanks to the length of those books), I thought they did a fantastic job including as much as they possibly could.

The 7th film, being a 2 part film, will undoubtedly be the most faithful adaptation.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading the posts, I think people need to remember the word parklette. That's what it will be. We are not talking something the size of MK or DHS but a small parkette that will be on the same scale of the other IOA parklettes, some food places, perhaps a couple of lesser attractions and 1 main ride. The pictures I've seen show the area to be fairly small. So we are not talking a half day area much less a full day.

So, yes initially a lot of HP fans will go there and there will be an initial impact from curiosity etc, But long term is what counts and the area just isn't big enough to have the kind of long term impact that would hurt Disney. Besides, Disney is truly a destination and all of U.S. simply isn't big enough for that.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    After reading the posts, I think people need to remember the word parklette. That's what it will be. We are not talking something the size of MK or DHS but a small parkette that will be on the same scale of the other IOA parklettes, some food places, perhaps a couple of lesser attractions and 1 main ride. The pictures I've seen show the area to be fairly small. So we are not talking a half day area much less a full day.

So, yes initially a lot of HP fans will go there and there will be an initial impact from curiosity etc, But long term is what counts and the area just isn't big enough to have the kind of long term impact that would hurt Disney. Besides, Disney is truly a destination and all of U.S. simply isn't big enough for that.
    So is your answer yes it will have an impact ?

I agree about it not being an entire destination. And many here will choose not to go. But I think it will have an impact, even if it makes disney build/ refurbish a number of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    The pictures I've seen show the area to be fairly small.
    The pictures you've seen are concept art, they're not indicative of the actual area. Universal has stated multiple times that the Harry Potter section will not only be considered it's own portion of the park (instead of part of an existing island), but it will be on par in size with the other current islands in the park, which are quite large.

This is akin to adding a whole new full-blown land to Magic Kingdom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    The pictures you've seen are concept art, they're not indicative of the actual area. Universal has stated multiple times that the Harry Potter section will not only be considered it's own portion of the park (instead of part of an existing island), but it will be on par in size with the other current islands in the park, which are quite large.

This is akin to adding a whole new full-blown land to Magic Kingdom.
    Actually, real construction pictures not concept art is what I've seen. The islands really aren't very large and if all you had was tomorrowland would that be the equivalent of MK, not really.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The question really is ... will it be good enough and enough of a draw to bring people back. That's what's going to determine the impact it has on Disney.

If people go and the response is, "Gee, that was cool. I'll come back in five years and see what they've added on to it." then Disney has nothing to worry about.

But if it's well done, and people love it, and the response is more like, "WOW!! I gotta come back and do this again!!!" then Disney may have something to worry about.

Parklette/full park, Disney magic/no Disney magic ... those are basically irrelevant issues. The bottom line is there are tens of millions of Harry Potter fans, some number of whom are also Disney fans, and if the HP area at US is well executed and highly entertaining there's no way it can't have an impact on Disney World attendance.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: