Quantcast Will Harry Potter Parklett make an Impact on Disney? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

And I have never heard anyone say, "Yeah, we're going on vacation to Universal again this year"
    Strangely enough, I do know people like this. However, I agree with JPL that the issue will be less about people going to Orlando solely to visit Universal and more about people who previously would not have considered a day trip to Universal doing so now because of HP. People who might have previously bought a full Disney package without blinking might now seriously consider staying offsite or at a Universal property for a couple of nights, getting a few days fewer of Disney tickets, not doing the mealplan, etc.

I think the HP parklet is going to be a big, big deal to people who love HP. Whether it will remain a big deal down the road remains to be seen. But even if there were no rides, I could see people going to the park repeatedly just to have the experience of visiting "Hogsmeade" or the castle. Universal is creating more than a few HP-themed rides; they are creating a HP experience where people can come experience things they have only read about or seen in movies.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Strangely enough, I do know people like this. However, I agree with JPL that the issue will be less about people going to Orlando solely to visit Universal and more about people who previously would not have considered a day trip to Universal doing so now because of HP. People who might have previously bought a full Disney package without blinking might now seriously consider staying offsite or at a Universal property for a couple of nights, getting a few days fewer of Disney tickets, not doing the mealplan, etc.

I think the HP parklet is going to be a big, big deal to people who love HP. Whether it will remain a big deal down the road remains to be seen. But even if there were no rides, I could see people going to the park repeatedly just to have the experience of visiting "Hogsmeade" or the castle. Universal is creating more than a few HP-themed rides; they are creating a HP experience where people can come experience things they have only read about or seen in movies.
    Ya I knew about that. I really would actually quite enjoy seeing the experience, I love HP books, not so much the movies as they are watered down versions of the books. One thing that I think may benefit Disney is the fact that I severly doubt Universal may be able to replicate great aspects of the books and films the way Disney does on many of their rides. It almost suffocates you when you ride a movie themed ride at Disney, the way I think it should be. HP books were great, the films, at least to me, are very poor versions of the books and who knows, the park may be a poor version of a combination of books and films.

Universal from what I've been told makes great thrill rides, but bad themed rides. Themes are what keeps people coming back to Disney, it's an experience with characters people grew up loving, thrills can be found anywhere, and those that love thrills generall go to new parks to find them. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

We go to WDW every year. We stay on property and never leave Disney property for usually 6 days. I love HP and I will certainly want to check out US once the HP stuff is complete. We will not extend our vacation, but instead cut our Disney time short by a day or two. Normally I would have no desire to go to US, but for HP I will make an exception. Who knows if it will be enough to warrant more than one trip though. I imagine that for us it will be the initial couple of days in US then back to doing only WDW for future trips.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antngoof89 View Post
    . . . . One thing that I think may benefit Disney is the fact that I severely doubt Universal may be able to replicate great aspects of the books and films the way Disney does on many of their rides. It almost suffocates you when you ride a movie themed ride at Disney, the way I think it should be. HP books were great, the films, at least to me, are very poor versions of the books and who knows, the park may be a poor version of a combination of books and films.

Universal from what I've been told makes great thrill rides, but bad themed rides. Themes are what keeps people coming back to Disney, it's an experience with characters people grew up loving, thrills can be found anywhere, and those that love thrills generall go to new parks to find them. JMO
    I think maybe you are underestimating Universal when it comes to some of their rides & attractions. Although overall, I don't think their parks are as magical as WDW's, Universal does an excellent job with several attractions.

I would say that Shrek, Simpsons, Men In Black and especially Mummy and Spiderman and are as good as any Disney Attractions at immersing you in the film or TV show. They are all very good attractions.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I think maybe you are underestimating Universal when it comes to some of their rides & attractions. Although overall, I don't think their parks are as magical as WDW's, Universal does an excellent job with several attractions.

I would say that Shrek, Simpsons, Men In Black and especially Mummy and Spiderman and are as good as any Disney Attractions at immersing you in the film or TV show. They are all very good attractions.
    I 100% agree with you. IMO Universal's newer attractions have outdone Disney's newer attractions. If you have not been on their themed rides you are missing out. My three favorite attractions in Florida are Spiderman, The Mummy and Rockin Rollercoaster. Two of those are at Universal.

Each vacation we spend 3 days at Universal between the two theme parks(and still don't get to do everything) and never get tired of their attractions. It's just like going to Disney time after time and doing the same rides or shows, even if you know what's going to happen it's still fun.

But getting back to HP, I think after all the money they spent to lure JKR there and after seeing what they have done with their newest attractions and knowing this is their chance to bring people into the parks that have never been they will not be dropping the ball on this. I expect this to be a homerun.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We are returning to Orlando next summer for our honeymoon. Note, I said "Orlando" not "Walt Disney World". WDW will be part of the plans, but as of now it's only looking like 4 days. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a major reason for this. This past June I took my 5th trip in about 5 years with my fiancee. We have always spent every day on Disney property. We talk about going to Universal, but in the end we never go. HP definitely pushed us over the edge, and if it is done right, I can totally see myself demanding to go every trip. It's more then just a "land" in a park, it's supposedly a total immersion. Have a Butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade Village, dare to step foot in the forbidden forrest, pick up some chocolate frogs in Honeydukes sweet shop... for fans of the books (and there's a gazillion of us out there), it's about as close as one can get to "living" in the Potter world.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

This was true until Disney started outsourcing Imagineering. Many Imagineers lost their jobs and guess what? Universal hired them. Fancy that, shortly after IOA was in the works and is incredibly themed. I would say, ride for ride, IOA is on par or better themed than any Disney park.

The problem they have is it's just one park. Two if you count the Studios, but it's not quite a destination. I'm not sure if it ever will be... They would like it to be, but I just don't know... Given the choice, week at Disney or week at Universal, I suspect at least 95% of folks will pick the big D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Harry Potter will absolutely make a dent in Disney's attendance, and Disney better respond.
    Frankly, I hope Disney doesn't respond. I'm all for less crowds at WDW.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    This was true until Disney started outsourcing Imagineering. Many Imagineers lost their jobs and guess what? Universal hired them. Fancy that, shortly after IOA was in the works and is incredibly themed. I would say, ride for ride, IOA is on par or better themed than any Disney park.

The problem they have is it's just one park. Two if you count the Studios, but it's not quite a destination. I'm not sure if it ever will be... They would like it to be, but I just don't know... Given the choice, week at Disney or week at Universal, I suspect at least 95% of folks will pick the big D.
    But the point is, many of us will split our week.
    Thus it will affect Disneys bottom line.

Also keep in mind the deal US has with sea world. It gives more reason to stay out of WDW, and check out the other Parks. heck if i'm going to experience US I might want to go visit sea world. Again more money that disney is not going to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering that Harry Potter is the first major addition to the park since it's inception, which was now 10 years ago, I can see why it's not exactly a destination. In actuality, the park hasn't changed drastically at all since it opened. More things have been taken out than left in.

Remember the original Poseidon attraction? The one that was much better than the original? How about Triceratops Encounter? The Toon Lagoon Amphitheater? And restaurants like Green Eggs & Ham?

IoA couldn't just benefit from Harry Potter, they NEED it. They haven't added anything this big since...ever.

EDIT: With Dueling Dragons being re-themed to HP, it looks like the days of this amazing coaster being a walk-on are over.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't gotten into HP....don't really plan to. Not that it doesn't seem interesting, I guess it just isn't my cup of tea.

SO for my family these new attractions have no draw. I am a devoted Disney purist. I like to glide in on ME for 10 days and stay put until ME takes me back to the real world.

I went to Universal Studios once in the 90's and I abhorred the experience. No magic for me there, none. Bigger, badder roller coasters at IOA won't give me what I love about WDW. Neither will HP. I never plan to give it a try again.....those are wasted hours that could be better spent on Disney property.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marceline View Post
    I went to Universal Studios once in the 90's and I abhorred the experience. No magic for me there, none. Bigger, badder roller coasters at IOA won't give me what I love about WDW. Neither will HP. I never plan to give it a try again.....those are wasted hours that could be better spent on Disney property.
    Actually, IoA only has 2 full-size coasters. Most of the other rides are along the lines of Disney fare and can generally have a counterpart found somewhere at Disney. You should give it a try. It's actually a really nice park with some great theming.

Post Thanks / Like

Universal from what I've been told makes great thrill rides, but bad themed rides.
    This is really an odd myth, because it isn't really true. They do have some thrill rides, but the mix probably mirrors Disney's mix in terms of thrills vs. theme.

And in the last maybe 5 - 10 years or so, Universal has been doing as good if not a better job of building highly themed experiences. As someone already mentioned, largely because they hired all the Imagineers that Disney decided they didn't need anymore.

Thus far, it's not working out all that well for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    We go to WDW every year. We stay on property and never leave Disney property for usually 6 days. I love HP and I will certainly want to check out US once the HP stuff is complete. We will not extend our vacation, but instead cut our Disney time short by a day or two.
    And this is exactly what Disney is terrified of. Their entire WDW experience is predicated on getting you on property, keeping you there for as long as humanly possible, and not letting you leave for any reason.

If people start cutting their WDW trips short by two or even just one day, that will make a major dent in their profit line.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney attendance was way down from past Summers I have been. We walked on so many rides at peak hours at MK. We went over to Busch Gardens and Sea World due to deep discounts they offered as basically locals (FL and GA get good deals at these parks and Universal right now). Personally I think theme rides at Universal are good like ET and Cat in the Hat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Actually, IoA only has 2 full-size coasters. Most of the other rides are along the lines of Disney fare and can generally have a counterpart found somewhere at Disney. You should give it a try. It's actually a really nice park with some great theming.
    I agree...

The Incredible Hulk is an awesome coaster, beats RnRC hands down. Spiderman is the best attraction in Central Florida, there is no equal. Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges makes Kali River Rapids look like a wading pool. Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls puts Splash Mountain to shame (although I will give you that the theming is light on this one), but the ride itself is fantastic! Jurassic Park River Adventure is great. I guess it's comparison would be either Dinosaur (They are pretty different) and maybe Everest.

In terms of shows, Poseidon's Fury was cool when I went, the water tunnel effect was great, and the show itself, there is nothing like it at Disney.

Those that haven't been to IoA and like excellently themed rides, you're missing out.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I agree...

The Incredible Hulk is an awesome coaster, beats RnRC hands down. Spiderman is the best attraction in Central Florida, there is no equal. Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges makes Kali River Rapids look like a wading pool. Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls puts Splash Mountain to shame (although I will give you that the theming is light on this one), but the ride itself is fantastic! Jurassic Park River Adventure is great. I guess it's comparison would be either Dinosaur (They are pretty different) and maybe Everest.

In terms of shows, Poseidon's Fury was cool when I went, the water tunnel effect was great, and the show itself, there is nothing like it at Disney.

Those that haven't been to IoA and like excellently themed rides, you're missing out.
    I agree that Poseidon was pretty cool. I was blown away by that the first time I saw it.

However, I thought that Jurassic Park was a pretty lame attraction, all things considered. For a theme that had such high potential, I was pretty disappointed that all it was was a few random dinos and some bland "thrills."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there are people out there that are bigger HP fans than my wife and I, but it's hard to imagine that they are out there!

That being said, on our next trip we are going to add 1-day to our WDW stay (so Disney is still getting our resort money). We're planning on driving over to IoA to see WWHP, but that's all we'll be doing there. In fact, based on what we know, we'll probably be able to do WWHP and be out of U.S. by the early evening. At that point we'll return to Disney property, and spend our money in their resorts & eateries.

I love the idea of immersing msyelf in the "Land of Potter," but once I have my picture at Hogwart's, played around in my robe & wand, and ate lunch at the Three Broomsticks, U.S. will have to try and convince me that I need to visit over and over again!
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I agree that Poseidon was pretty cool. I was blown away by that the first time I saw it.
    Which version did you see though? The now inferior version with that Darkenon guy or the original version where Poseidon was the bad guy (voiced brilliantly by Jeremy Irons) and your tour guide, the Storyteller, was actually Zeus?

The latter is MUCH better than the former by quite a long stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ... However, I thought that Jurassic Park was a pretty lame attraction, all things considered. For a theme that had such high potential, I was pretty disappointed that all it was was a few random dinos and some bland "thrills."
    What's the comparison at Disney? Just curious, I can't think of anything similar at Disney that's better. Kali?

I do agree it has potential, and I was thrown off that it's done so quick. There are some subtle hits though (when I last rode it) like the eaten Disney CM (shirt with nametag on it) that really cracked me up. It could be better you're right...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Disney is shaking in their boots financially. It makes one question the timing on the supposed "leaked" Fantasy Land rehab. What better to battle Potter than some serious princesses (who btw, bring in 4 BILLION annually on their merchandise alone). Call me jaded, but regardless of whether or not the restructuring happens (or in what capacity/to what level), Disney must be loving the hype.

I think we should all expect some major announcements about upcoming E-Ticket attractions soon (probably something in Animal Kingdom as well as MK).

Universal numbers have been consistently down over the past few years, but they have been able to do very well because guest spending is up (making for a nice profit). Universal must be drooling over the idea of increased guest spending + additional attendance due to Potter.

I visit Universal/IoA every year for HHNs and the awesome coasters (can't wait for Rip Ride & Rock It). I don't know if one "land" could ever be enough to change the balance of things between Universal and Disney. For example, I would never be inclined to visit IoA for Harry Potter. I'll stop by to see what all the fuss is about, but it won't be one of my priorities when visiting the park.

I agree with many of the previous posters - Universal has done recent themeing very well. However, I feel that they tend to under-develop areas (IoA is a great example of this). Harry Potter could very well peak, and then level out. No doubt, it will make a dent and be great insurance that Universal will be able to keep it's attendance numbers up. However, I don't know if this is something that will last forever. Unless, of course, Universal continually adds to it. There's no doubt that HP fans will want more!

P.S. I couldn't agree more about JP being lame. It's the poor man's scary Splash Mountain (or is that Dudley Do Right? haha)
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: