Quantcast Laid Off

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laid Off

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Laid Off

Well, like what has happened to a lot of people, I got laid off today. No warning, no notice, just brought into the office at 2 pm and given my walking papers, he'd pay me for the rest of the day but I could go home. I knew things were slow, but it was still a shock! I've been there for 3.5 years, it's a small furniture store, he has two stores, and I worked in the office. The other lady that works here has been off on maternity leave twice, a year each time, since I've worked there, now she's back and I'm out. I worked my butt off there the past year, he didn't hire a temp or anything to help out, so I worked normally 48-50 hour weeks, kept the place running, and now this. I understand the economy, and I understand that women are entitled to maternity leave, it just makes me angry. And no thanks for all you've done and the extra hours etc. etc.

I'm trying to look on this as an opportunity to do and be something better than I was, but I look at my finances and worry terribly that I'll lose my house etc., very scary feeling.

I know a lot of people have been through this, and are in worse shape than I am, just hurts right now! Do they take 52 years olds in the International Program at Disney? (I'm Canadian).

Thanks for listening!
    șOș Dianne șOș

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it is hard, hang in there! DH has been out of work for 6 months now, and as an Engineer with 20+ years of experience he is overqualified for just about everything.

Praying for you!
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Rough news indeed!
    I hope it leads you to something you enjoy doing more. Good luck.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

It happened to my DH too...after 18 years as a Mechanical Engineer at the same company. No notice, no nothing. It sure makes budgeting an adventure! I hope that you come out of this further ahead, and find something somewhere you are more appreciated. DH is approaching it as the opportunity to spend the summer with his children. Try to find a positive. to get you through.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

My Father has been out of a full time job since november and my Mom is off for the summer. I know how scary it is too look at those finances and wonder what happens next.

It'll be ok. Take a deep breath and remember you're not alone, one door closes and another opens somewhere.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm truly sorry to hear this news!! But, know that you are not alone. My husband is a Union electrician and was laid off yesterday, though we thought this job was going to go until the winter. It's especially scary as I work as an aide in our school district, so I don't work (Or get paid) in the summer. For us, it's a repeat of last summer (I had been laid off in May, he got laid off in July) and it's very stressful. For me, it's hard to believe that we are in this situation again, and I truly understand the scary feelings, especially about the house. But, try and stay positive and hopefully things will look brighter soon!!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

My father was laid off in feb from a job he was working at for 33 years. Now my mom is working every other week. She works a week and is laid off the next. So tell me when are thing going to start looking up? I feel for everyone during these trying times.
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that. In the last couple of weeks I had about 40 collegues of mine laid off at two different companies. Many people had worked there anywhere from 10 to 30 years. At one company, both the husband and wife who worked together were laid off. Hopefully the change leads to something better for you.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

So sorry that you were laid off. It is happening
    to so many people. My husband is retired but
    I feel for the all the young people that have
    their life ahead of them. Times are tough but it
    has got to get better. I do worry about my kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your chin up. It is difficult. I do not know what I would do if laid off with the current economy. My company is laying people off left and right with no rhyme or reason. They are looking at it from a $ perspective. If they can get someone to do it for half of your pay, you are gone. They are paying for my MBA. I will pay for the concentration in healthcare after I get it. Once done, I will probably quickly look for a job in another industry.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

So Sorry to hear about you being laid off. Things are tough right now in the job market but hopefully things will turn around soon.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear that! Just stay positive and focused and apply to many places. Good luck. You are not alone right now.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks everyone, I knew this place was terrific and all of you have proven it by being so nice and with all the words of encouragement! I'll certainly work on staying positive and try to see this an opportunity to improve my lot in life and find something better for me.

For all of you in the same position as I am, I fully sympathize and wish bigger and better things for all of you!

Thank you!!!
    șOș Dianne șOș

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Dianne. I'm very thankful that my husband still has a job (keep drinking Coors in cans, people), but I've had several relatives who've been laid off. It stinks all around. I hope you find something soon!!!
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divinedi View Post
    Wow! Thanks everyone, I knew this place was terrific and all of you have proven it by being so nice and with all the words of encouragement! I'll certainly work on staying positive and try to see this an opportunity to improve my lot in life and find something better for me.

For all of you in the same position as I am, I fully sympathize and wish bigger and better things for all of you!

Thank you!!!
    Again Keep positive.
    If your government has helpful programs use them! Find out what youre entitled to, where you can turn for assistance and keep looking to make this expierence as good as it can be.

Be thankful when you wake up in the morning- share your love with your family. Keep it as simple as possible. Remember to smile. There are always dark times, but after that we appreciate all we have even more.
    Live life to the fullest, look foward to tommorow and don't let any setbacks get you down !

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I don't know if this website works for your area but it's a great one to try: indeed.com. You can put in what you are looking for & the area you are in and you'll get leads emailed to you. It pulls from a lot of different websites.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you're going through this. How awful. Can't add any better advice than others already have.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been through this more than once. It's pretty scary especially when the economy is slow. On both occasions, I was able to find better opportunities than the one I left behind even though it took some time to do so.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search! I'm sure there is something wonderful out there for you!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

These are scary times indeed.
    We have had a number of friends and relatives laid off or having their hours seriously reduced.

Back in 1991 the company I worked for decided our facility wasn't profitable enough so they phased it out and over 700 of us lost our jobs in early 1992.
    At that time my daughter was only 2 yrs old and I spent many nights wondering what was going to happen.
    But things did work out. In late '92 I took what was supposed to be a temporary position. And I had to work as a temp for a long time, but eventually did get hired. And I've been there ever since. At least now if things get really bad I can take an early retirement. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

So...keep your head and your spirits up. Things will get better.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope you can find something soon!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: