Quantcast Disney with a Knee Injury?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney with a Knee Injury?

Anyone ever been to Disney World with an ACL injury or any other knee injury for that matter? I am finding out that I have a knee injury and as I sit here, it aches. We leave in 58 days and I am very concerned now about how I am going to be able to hold up in the parks for two weeks. If anyone has experience with how well they went through this, I would greatly appreciate some first hand information.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope this will help, I have a bad knee but have not been to the world with extreme problems.

If it is just starting I would first call your Dr and let him / her know what is going on.

If the injury is not to bad they may just give you a cortisone shot to help with the pain and inflammation and prescribe anti inflammatory meds. They may give you a knee brace that would help.

While at the world you would need to watch for swelling. Maybe take the sights in small bites.

Then there are always the ECV's.

Good luck
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I have been 2 months after an ACL tear. I was still in a Donjoy brace. It certainly slowed us down and required more rest stops. We also rode more tea sportstion options rather than walked. It is doable just slow down
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default We went...

2 weeks after my daughter had ACL reconstruction. As a previous poster stated, it slowed us down a little and took more breaks but it was fine. We went at her pace and sometimes her and I would sit down and DH and my other DD went on rides she didn't feel comfortable on.
    Tina

DM DH DD26 DD21 DGS 4

TRIPS:
    multiple as a child
    just daddy and me Oct 2005
    WITH MY Princesses:
    May 2000 POR
    May 2002 POR
    Oct 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 BC (just Ashley and Me)
    July 2010 POP girls only and Lexi's sweet 16
    Dec 2015 dd and dgs

Post Thanks / Like

My Mother went to WDW 10 months after total knee replacement. We did use a wheel chair for her just as a precaution. The only ride she had trouble with was the boats at Small World. They seem to be lower after the remodeling. Hope you have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife tore her ACL about 2 months before we went in Dec of 2007. We rented a wheelchair for her each day we were at the parks. She had a knee brace on and when she was tired of sitting in the wheelchair she would walk behind the wheelchair and use it like a walker. Plus, when you have a legitimate medical issue like a knee injury you are able to use the handicap entrance on the rides that have them. The only time we would use the handicap entrance would be near the end of the day when her knee was starting to really bug her. Most of the time she was able to stand in line because she had that knee brace on.
    DISNEYLAND - Every year since 1967. Grew up 20 minutes away.

December 05 - WL
    December 07 - Pop Century
    December 10 - CSR

400 miles to Disneyland and 2850 miles from WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much pain you're in but my knee hurts all the time! I need a knee replacement but am not ready to have it done.
    When we go to the parks I always rent an ECV. We live local so we rent by the day but if you're going to be here for two weeks and are concerned, it might be worth to look into one of the local agencies that supply them and rent one and have it available at all times. The ones at the park are first come, first served.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also concerned about knee pain i'm suffering from arthritis. There was a posting earlier where you can rent the EVC's locally, but I don't know how to find it. could someone please tell me the name of it or the web address if that is allowed.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Disney with a torn meniscus (didn't know it was torn) - just knew that going up and down stairs was painful. At that time, walking on flat surfaces was doable so was able to complete the trip without too much trouble.

Also went to Disney about 4 months after knee surgery. We took it easy as I would get tired by about mid-afternoon. With breaks back in the room, I also did well.

If needed, I would certainly consider renting an ECV.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I went a couple of years ago while recovering from a broken ankle. My word of advise to you would be to be careful at AK. So much of the walkways there is cobblestone and very uneven. After spending 1/2 day there I needed to ice down my ankle and use a wheelchair for several hours because I could not walk and was in great pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Disney with DMiL after knee sugery and she rented an ECV at the parks on days that she knew we were going to be walking a lot. (MVMCP, EPCoT etc.)

Last year although not a knee issue DD came down with a horrible cold and her asthma really started acting up. (which turned into pneumonia) We were able to borrow a wheelchair from our resort (CSR) at no charge. We just had to leave a credit card number as a deposit. I know they are first come first serve at the resorts, but it is definetly worth asking at the front desk if you realize you need one mid trip. If they are not available you can always rent one at the parks.
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks go out to everyone who has all these loving stories to tell. It is very supportive and I feel confident now that I will be just find on this trip. Thanks once again for reassuring me. My dr. knows and I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon 2wks before my trip.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD