Quantcast Stitch is Out

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stitch is Out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stitch is Out

Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 4:36pm EDT | Modified: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 4:49pm

Curtain closes on Disney attractionOrlando Business Journal - by Christopher Boyd Staff Writer

Stitch’s Supersonic Adventure, an interactive stage show that opened May 5 at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, will close on June 27.

Disney officials wouldn’t say why the show, which opened with much fanfare just six weeks ago, is on the way out. Postings on blog sites by Disney fans suggest that park patrons complained about having to form queues in the late spring heat without shelter or seating.

A Disney spokeswoman didn’t say what is planned next for the Stitch site.

RustyScupper NOTE: Another item added to the long list of failures of Imagineering.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a good investment.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    RustyScupper NOTE: Another item added to the long list of failures of Imagineering.
    That should be Entertainment, and not Imagineering...

Post Thanks / Like

That is just...wow! This attraction was still being built when we were there in early Feb 09. That's certainly is a short run....interesting.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    That should be Entertainment, and not Imagineering...
    Yep. Entertainment's disaster, not Imagineering.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    That is just...wow! This attraction was still being built when we were there in early Feb 09. That's certainly is a short run....interesting.
    Ran for 6 weeks. Even Barbie in Epcot lasted longer LOL.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Blame it on whoever you will, but the real fault lies with Disney World management.

When you're only willing to spend nickels, these are the results you get.

You'd think they'd learn that when you do things halfway up front it always comes back to bite you.

See also:

Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Disney California Adventure
    Hong Kong Disneyland
    Et. Al.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never liked any attraction in that spot since they opened the park, Mission to Mars (or Circle Vision Monstanto thing, can't remember what was there exactly) up to Stitch, maybe it's a cursed area??

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa! Didn't they just build the stage for this? I didn't even realize that was done, we were just talking about the extra parking spaces, no?

WOW! Sadly, this is typical Disney these days. Maybe I'll take a look over at youtube, I'm sure it's apparent as to why this failed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Maybe I'll take a look over at youtube, I'm sure it's apparent as to why this failed.
    Yeah, if you watch the show it's VERY apparent.

The shade issue was the biggest for me. When we were there during early May when it first opened I couldn't believe they had guests just standing in the direct sun. No seating. No shade. To me that would kill the experience no matter how good the show was. The show not being all that great made it even worse.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Yeah, if you watch the show it's VERY apparent.

The shade issue was the biggest for me. When we were there during early May when it first opened I couldn't believe they had guests just standing in the direct sun. No seating. No shade. To me that would kill the experience no matter how good the show was. The show not being all that great made it even worse.
    Do people stand on Main Street, 30 minutes to an hour prior to the parade starting? If so, do they stand under shade or sit on the curb in the hot sun? And then, when the parade starts, do they still stand on Main Street under the hot sun?

I cannot understand why people are saying no shade doomed this. No shade has nothing to do with a terrible show. Entertainment created a show that stunk. If it was worth anything, people would have stood around for it. They stand around for Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial. They stand in the sun waiting online to meet characters. They stand in the hot sun for many reasons. I cannot accept that as an excuse for people not wanting to stand around and watch this.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Entertainment Cast have reported that internal schedules are listing the show as "dark" through the end of June, which would imply a refurbishment and not a permanent closure.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Entertainment Cast have reported that internal schedules are listing the show as "dark" through the end of June, which would imply a refurbishment and not a permanent closure.
    Even so, 6 weeks after it ran, and they have to change thngs already isn't a good thing. It could be a good thing if they are creating a better, more watchable show. But, this still has to go down as a failure.

Post Thanks / Like

I read on another disney site that it wasn't closing but the show was being changed and thats why there was a shut down
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
    I have never liked any attraction in that spot since they opened the park, Mission to Mars (or Circle Vision Monstanto thing, can't remember what was there exactly) up to Stitch, maybe it's a cursed area??
    Mission to Mars was in the building that now holds Stitch's Great Escape (not the Stitch stage show) and was the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter before Stitch's great Escape.

The Circle Vision 360 (Monsanto) theatre was in the building that now hosts the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, (adjacent to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, which is in the same big building. It's across the street/ from Stitch's Great Escape. That same building hosted the Timekeeper attraction (which also a 360 film) prior to the Laugh Floor attraction.

The Stitch stage show is located between Carousel of Progress and the Space Mountain entrance near the old Tomorrowland Skyway station (across the plaza, on the other side of Astro Orbiter, from Stitch's Great Escape). There has never been an attraction (except for the skyway station) in that exact location before.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Bottom line, whether it's closed for good or just for a re-do, the thing was so terrible that it only lasted 6 weeks.

And I agree with GothMickey ... shade (or the lack thereof) had nothing to do with it. People wait in the hot sun for parades and tons of other shows around Disney World. This show is canned because it stunk. Plain and simple.

I watched the YouTube video and it was just complete and total dreck. A flat-out embarrassment that it had Disney's name on it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

why are they forcing stitch on us anyway???i've no desire to even watch stitch movies.
    i just think stitch is an "un-disneylike" character anyway..
    bring back alien invasion!!!
    the people have spoken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Bottom line, whether it's closed for good or just for a re-do, the thing was so terrible that it only lasted 6 weeks.

And I agree with GothMickey ... shade (or the lack thereof) had nothing to do with it. People wait in the hot sun for parades and tons of other shows around Disney World. This show is canned because it stunk. Plain and simple.

I watched the YouTube video and it was just complete and total dreck. A flat-out embarrassment that it had Disney's name on it.
    Very well said Ian. But, according to some people, you could not judge the show based on a video from Youtube. I just hope that what ever the new show will be, Hannah Montana isn't part of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyguy View Post
    why are they forcing stitch on us anyway???i've no desire to even watch stitch movies.
    i just think stitch is an "un-disneylike" character anyway..
    bring back alien invasion!!!
    the people have spoken
    Stitch is a very popular character. But he has been misused in the parks. I notice no one complains that Jack Sparrow or the Princesses have been forced down our throats too. If Stitch had a better attraction, the feelings toward the little blue guy would be different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    I cannot understand why people are saying no shade doomed this. No shade has nothing to do with a terrible show.
    I'm not saying no shade doomed the show. It was a bad, bad show. What I'm saying is that I think environmental conditions hastened the change. I don't think people would have complained nearly as much (nor the suits taken as much notice) if the environmental conditions had been more acceptable. As you noted, when something is good people don't care about the heat. When it's bad they do. When they're comfortable people will tolerate something a LOT more than when they're not. So, the environment made a bad show seem a lot worse.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: