Quantcast Do CMs at attractions actually look at fastpasses?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do CMs at attractions actually look at fastpasses?

The last time we were there, a group of teenagers were in front of us on one of our favorite attractions. They were being sort of rowdy and carrying on with each other about figuring out a way to cheat the system.

What they did was gather a stack of invalid or expired fastpasses, and then when they got to the CM taking the passes, they handed them to her upside down and zoomed right on ahead.

I'm not advocating this at all, and it actually ticked me off, enough that I told the CM what happened and see if she was going to do anything, but she just shrugged.

Is this common, for the CM to not actually verify the fastpasses? Or is this maybe more the case of somebody thinking they can cheat the system and trying to get away with as much as they can?
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I do check the fast passes even if I'm at merge point. Mainly because it isn't fair to guests standing in the standby line to have other guests attempt to get ahead of them with not valid fast passes. Did they start in stand by before moving over to fastpass? If they show the backs of the fastpasses we will check the fastpass face to make sure it's valid before they enter the fastpass que and that includes fastpasses that have a later time on it.
    There are 2 points that guests pass that a CM, the first CM check the fast pass the second CM takes them, and yes we do check them at merge point. And my favorite guests in the fast pass que without fast passes. I'll send them back outside to enter the standby line at the back of the line.
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, from what I have seen they tend to be quite diligent about checking them. I have seen people try to cheat and fail... I love it when they get caught and sent out. I have heard people applaud the CM's for this, so... yep they check them!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmosher View Post
    Yes, from what I have seen they tend to be quite diligent about checking them. I have seen people try to cheat and fail... I love it when they get caught and sent out. I have heard people applaud the CM's for this, so... yep they check them!

D
    This has been my experience as well. I've never seen a CM not check every single Fastpass. I'm sure it can happen, but it's not common practice to not check to my experience.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think they do read them and strictly enforce the return time, too. Quite a few times I heard them holding people back until it was EXACTLY the return time on the pass
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know in my experience they checked them. I wasn't paying attention going to SOARIN last year and thought it was time for me to go... I was 3 minutes early and they had me wait... which was fine, I shouldnt be able to go before it's time... I was embarassed, but got past it once I smelled the orange trees!
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

I would say, 99% of the time the CMs are good about checking the dates on FP (if not more).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

During our trip last August, the CMs were checking fast pasts. We arrived at the RNR coaster one minute before our scheduled FP time and the CM made us wait the one minute. We were totally fine with it, just stood off to the side and waited for the clock to change.
    August 2009- Port Orleans French Quarter for 7 Magical days!

August 2008- Port Orleans French Quarter for 7 fantastic days!

May 1996 (Memorial Day Weekend) Only 1 day, but visited all 3 parks!

One of the world's biggest Donald Duck fans!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they do check them...we had to step aside one time and wait the two minutes till it was our time. Did not bother us but boy did the family next to us get angry....they could not understand why they had to wait the two minutes and in their opinion what difference did it make. I just did not understand why they had to be rude and continue to complain to the CM who was just doing his job.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a CM NOT check! More than once I've seen people turned away, or asked to wait a few more minutes until their time
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we check each and every one. Most guests are understanding and don't complain if they have to wait a few minutes.

The more difficult guests are those that have never used FP before and don't really understand how it works. They sometimes get their FP from the distribution machine and then proceed straight to the entrance holding out their FP, which isn't valid for another hour. We then have to hold up the line while we explain the process.

There are guests who try to cheat by flashing an invalid FP or line jumping into the FP queue. These are almost always caught at the merge point and directed to the back of the standby line.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Everytime, it has been a few years, the fast passes were always checked. I'm sure the cm's expect some people to try and sneek thru. It is their job.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I ever seen FPs not being checked although there was a few occaisions that the CM never took my FP at the merge point even after I tried to give it to them.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's great news, it's unanimous that the CMs check the fastpasses. From what I understand, it seems like these kids were trying to pull one over on the CM who pretty much knew what they were doing. This seems to be much more the case of some kids trying to cheat the system.

Sort of like the old urban legend about the college student who is finishing his exam and the professor calls time, saying that any exam not now handed in automatically receives an F. The student says "this is such a large class, do you know every student by name?", and when the professor says no, the student puts his exam in the professors hand, knocks ALL the exams to the floor, scatteding them all, and runs off.
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

Post Thanks / Like

What is an invalid fastpass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
    What is an invalid fastpass?

I guess technically, it's the ones you get when you already have a FP for another ride and it's not time to get another one yet. It says right on the FP "invalid" but OP was probably refering to a FP that's the wrong time or date.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is that they check the time and date. Even if the fastpass has expired from the 1-hour window, they let you on. However, they do stop you if it is not your time.

We did have a CM check, initially turn us down, and then let us on the Safari 10 minutes early. My DD was about to fall asleep and he saw it too.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Alex'sMOM View Post
    I know in my experience they checked them. I wasn't paying attention going to SOARIN last year and thought it was time for me to go... I was 3 minutes early and they had me wait... which was fine, I shouldnt be able to go before it's time... I was embarassed, but got past it once I smelled the orange trees!
    Don't be embarassed, its an easy mistake. At least you waited to the side. I get POed when people clog up the entrance waiting for their fastpass to become valid. One of my pet peeves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    What they did was gather a stack of invalid or expired fastpasses, and then when they got to the CM taking the passes, they handed them to her upside down and zoomed right on ahead.

I'm not advocating this at all, and it actually ticked me off, enough that I told the CM what happened and see if she was going to do anything, but she just shrugged.
    Not that this is any better, but is it possible that the CM figured she would let the kids wait in line until the merge point where they would then be kicked out of line and sent back to stand-by? It might make more of an impact.
    Erica

'83, '86 - CR
    '89 - GF
    '94, '98 - Poly
    '00, 3/09 - Off site
    '01 - ASM
    '02 - Swan
    5/09 - POR
    10/09 - AKL
    12/09 - GF
    Next trip???

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, they check them. My son was 90 seconds early and they CM made him wait

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: