Quantcast To EMH or not to EMH?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How to best take advantage of Extra Magic Hours...

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do it all! Morning and Night!

23 38.33%
  • Do AM extra magic hours only

16 26.67%
  • Do PM extra magic hours only

14 23.33%
  • Avoid all extra magic hours like the plague!

7 11.67%
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To EMH or not to EMH?

I've heard many theories on how or if to take advantage of extra magic hours and I'm so confused. What does your family do? Do you like EMH? Do you avoid EMH? The days we're going to be at WDW have crowd predictions in the 7-9 range. I'll be thrilled if we can make it to a park in the morning by rope drop. An hour earlier? I'm not so sure. And the evening hours? I tend to find them frustrating since not all the attractions are open (plus I'm the only morning person of our family and am ready to call it a day by then while my family is just getting revved up!)

What do you suggest?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends, but we've taken advantage of morning and nighttime EMH and have had great experiences with both. I like to park hop and leave the morning EMH park before 11 am. I get to night EMH parks not too far before regular closing hours and enjoy the later hours, or don't bother. If I'm not going to be able to stay up late to take advantage, it's better to skip the pm EMH. I also find that it's great strategy to hit a park the morning after a pm EMH. They tend to seem more empty to me then, sure if it truly is less crowded then or just seems it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Iteachpc Guest

Default Emh

I voted "do them all", because we do some of each. But not on the same day unless we've had a big break in the day. I am traveling with 3 teens and 2 of them are NOT MORNING PEOPLE. We like to stay out late and sleep in. But we do try to catch a few morning EMH on our trip. This next time it will depend on when we get in each evening.

The day we arrive MK is open until 2am. DD's eyes lit up wildly when I told her that. But we will want to ride TSM and EE on this trip so I think we'll need to get up early a few days to catch those rides.

Mostly we'll play it by ear. If everyone is tired and grumpy and I'm dragging them from one attraction to the next it's really not much fun.

Post Thanks / Like

We dont go to both anymore......................but you cant take advantage of anything unless you are there!!!

Post Thanks / Like

On our last vist we did most of the am emh's. We are mostly early risers so it worked best for us, but having said that we also did ok with 2 pm emh's. I think whatever works best for the majority of people in your party is what you should do. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not on my vacation

I get up early (4 am) for work. When I'm on vacation I still wake up around 6 am. But I'm in no hurry. Mornings are slow and easy coffee, maybe a walk around the resort, pick up some breakfast for everyone. No hurry, no worry. I go in Oct the parks close early so we use evening EMH.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No EMH this trip...

We avoided any park with EMH scheduled and got to the other park by regular opening time instead.

This worked for us because we all tend to go to sleep b/t 9pm (DS) and 11pm(Parents) and wake up at 7am naturally and that gave us plenty of time to shower, dress, have coffee, eat, and get to the park without feeling sleep deprived or rushed. Once we arrived, crowds were minimal and we got to see/do everything we planned!

For the first time ever, we returned from our WDW vacation feeling relaxed and rested!

If we were early risers, I'd definitely take advantage of am EMH.

Tess
    poly07
    poly08
    pop09
    pop Christmas 09!

Post Thanks / Like

We are PM EMH people. With the family being "grown up" taking advantage of the late hours is fun and beneficial. PM EMH!!!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We are mostly night owls and we definitely take advantage of the pm EMH's. We also try to hit as many of the am ones as possible too. Our motto is "we can sleep when we are home!" I am not much of a morning person but just the thought of hitting the parks gets me moving. However if we are just too beat we click off the alarm and roll back over. But we always try to be in the parks by 9:30 at the latest.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

Normally DW and I avoid them completely, however we have decided on this trip to "work" the EMH to our advantage in MK so we can do both day and night versions of our favorite rides.
    I guess we will see how that works out and let you know.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Try to do it all! I'm only at WDW for a very limited amount of time so I try to spend as much time as possible in the parks!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We to have heard bad things about EMH. In the past we took advantage of the early morning EMH when they first were introduced. We were able to enjoy many attractions before the park began to fill. We were looking forward to evening emh at both the MK and Epcot to check those out, but everything we've heard was to avoid those parks on that day.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iteachpc View Post
    I voted "do them all", because we do some of each. But not on the same day unless we've had a big break in the day. I am traveling with 3 teens and 2 of them are NOT MORNING PEOPLE. We like to stay out late and sleep in. But we do try to catch a few morning EMH on our trip. This next time it will depend on when we get in each evening.
    Change Iteachpc travel party number from 3 and 2...to 2 and 1 and you've got our situation....two DT's (14 and 16) and our 16 year old DD is not exactly a smiling ray of sunshine early in the morning...so we will do morning EMH for only two parks (MK and (now) DS (for TSM).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for PM hours only. We've tried the early morning EMH on other trips, but we never seemed to get there early enough.

My plan for our Sept trip is to basically avoid EMH parks altogether...but will keep a list of the evening EMH parks, just in case we're looking for something to do that evening.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

SFTrny Guest

I voted for doing both, but I think that this really depends on your style. We are early morning people, so we love getting up and hitting the parks early before the crowds get there. By 3:00, we are heading back to our room....which is when the EMH park starts getting really packed. Then...with a Park Hopper...we can go back out after dinner to another park or do an evening EMH if we want.

Post Thanks / Like

My only exception to the do it all is Hollywood Studios. Evening EMH is a Nightmare Fantasmic
    My family experienced a couple of these fiascos. All evening EMH does is focus people into the TOT & RnR corner of the park.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: