Quantcast 8th grade grad gift

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question 8th grade grad gift

Looking for advice on an appropriate gift for 8th grade graduation for niece and nephew (different families). Money - how much? Or a gift certificate? Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!
    Sept 2007 - POR
    Sept/Oct 2009 - POR
    Sept/Oct 2011 - POR
    Sept 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

20-30 bucks I would guess? I think cash is an easier gift to give than a gift card.

It's interesting how things change, I'm not THAT old, but when I was in school I'd never even heard or thought of jr. high graduation or grade school graduation or kindergarten graduation or preschool graduation. I think after 8th grade finished I may have had a few days off then it was time to start summer work on the farm.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about a HS grad gift for a nephew. I was thinking $50. We've had no contact with him for the last 6 years so I don't want to do anything extravagant, but I do want to give something. Honestly I was a little surprised when we received the graduation announcement. I'm clueless.

When I graduated junior high (1995) it was just another day.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

8th grade graduation? I hate these new traditions of unmerited graduation -- graduation is HIGH SCHOOL or COLLEGE. Finishing 8th grade is nothing special, and shouldn't be an considered a milestone IMO. I mean graduating kindergarten is cute ... but 8th grade? Come on.

If I were you I would send them a card that says good job, or how about a book or a new back pack for the kid to use in 9th grade? If you must send cash $10 would be my limit. It's 8th grade, not Harvard.

For high school ... don't you remember? You send out a million announcements in hopes for cold hard cash ... $50 is more than appropriate.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

The 8th Grade graduation is a big deal around here. They even did it when I was a kid. Any reason to celebrate, why not? Just another rite of passage. Give what you feel comfortable giving. Instead of giving money, I would suggest some sort of keepsake to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps an engraved pen or charm for a bracelet, something like that (and you may look thoughtful without spending as much as you would feel the need to spend if you gave cash). The standard money gift around here seems to be about $50, twice as much for high school.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I usually give $25.00 for eigth grade grad, $50.00 for HS grad, and $100.00 for college grad.

Another idea for 8th grade grad would be a sweatshirt for their high school.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    The 8th Grade graduation is a big deal around here. They even did it when I was a kid. Any reason to celebrate, why not? Just another rite of passage. Give what you feel comfortable giving. Instead of giving money, I would suggest some sort of keepsake to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps an engraved pen or charm for a bracelet, something like that (and you may look thoughtful without spending as much as you would feel the need to spend if you gave cash). The standard money gift around here seems to be about $50, twice as much for high school.
    Ditto. It was a big deal for us some 25+ years ago. My niece is graduating from Grade 8, and Elementary School in June. We are proud of her, and will be giving her $50 to show her so.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    8th grade graduation? I hate these new traditions of unmerited graduation -- graduation is HIGH SCHOOL or COLLEGE. Finishing 8th grade is nothing special, and shouldn't be an considered a milestone IMO. I mean graduating kindergarten is cute ... but 8th grade? Come on.
    AGREED 100%!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My DD is ending 8th grade next month and there is no graduation but there is a semi-formal dance that only 8th graders can attend and only from her school. I love that they have a no-limo policy at this age. I think things are getting so out of control that by the time a kid does graduate high school or go to high school prom they have allready done the limo thing and it is not so special to them. If they have a graduation cermemony for every milestone it makes high school graduation just another graduation. I am proud of my daughter and we are having fun shopping for a dress for the dance and her and her friends are going to have fun getting ready for the dance together. I don't think they are missing out by not having a graduation ceremony, they are still excited to be starting high school next year.
    My opinion is just my opinion and not in any way meant to critisize anyone. I hope everyone enjoys their graduation however they choose to celebrate it!!!
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

My twins are being promoted from 8th grade this year. We've decided to give each of them a T shirt with the logo of the local high school. To me it says, "Congrats, you did good, but it ain't over yet!"

Since I expect them to at least get a 4 year degree (and both are making noises about grad school already), I don't want to make too big a deal about 8th grade.
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

My son is graduating 8th grade on June 4th and it's a big deal at our small Lutheran school. in fact our school is combining with another Lutheran school in the area next fall so after 52 years this will be the last graduating class from Hosanna-Tabor school. he was confirmed last weekend which is an even bigger deal and we had a huge party after that, so the grade school graduation we'll just have the school reception afterwards. I'm sure he'll get at least 25.00 from his family.
    The hard part is we had his confirmation, his birthday is the 30th and graduation the 4th. going to be an expensive month. plus we leave for Florida on the 5th.
    on a side note our family is adopting our 10 month old foster child. we figured out that when my son graduates high school in 2013, his sister will graduate 8th grade and the baby will graduate will kindergarten. Talk about expensive!!
    Lisa

Planning 1 day trip to Disneyland June 2011. Our first time ever!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppinsFan View Post
    My son is graduating 8th grade on June 4th and it's a big deal at our small Lutheran school. in fact our school is combining with another Lutheran school in the area next fall so after 52 years this will be the last graduating class from Hosanna-Tabor school. he was confirmed last weekend which is an even bigger deal and we had a huge party after that, so the grade school graduation we'll just have the school reception afterwards. I'm sure he'll get at least 25.00 from his family.
    The hard part is we had his confirmation, his birthday is the 30th and graduation the 4th. going to be an expensive month. plus we leave for Florida on the 5th.
    on a side note our family is adopting our 10 month old foster child. we figured out that when my son graduates high school in 2013, his sister will graduate 8th grade and the baby will graduate will kindergarten. Talk about expensive!!
    WOW, I thought my June was busy, you beat me!
    Congrats on the "new" baby and the graduation.
    I'm glad that your schools combined to keep the school going. It's not ideal but at least there will be a church school to go to.
    Have a great time with all your celebrations.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks crazypoohbear! We are going to have a great time. I didnt even mention my daughters 10th birthday is June 1st but I love all the activity. I'm also hoping to start a new job as I have interviewed twice and they are checking my references.

we prayed hard about staying with the new school but the church is truely our home so we'll stay.
    Lisa

Planning 1 day trip to Disneyland June 2011. Our first time ever!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HollyB View Post
    My twins are being promoted from 8th grade this year. We've decided to give each of them a T shirt with the logo of the local high school. To me it says, "Congrats, you did good, but it ain't over yet!"

Since I expect them to at least get a 4 year degree (and both are making noises about grad school already), I don't want to make too big a deal about 8th grade.
    Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any degree of correlation between big celebrations for 8th grade graduation and ceasing to further one's education. My son had a large celebration for 8th grade graduation and he is headed to university in the fall and plans to go on to study law. My daughter also had a big 8th grade grad event (our public school really makes a big deal of it) and yet she also plans to head to college and she's an outstanding violinist.

I'm pretty sure telling them they weren't done yet wouldn't have been any more of a motivator than celebrating their accomplishments so far.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: