Quantcast A few notes about my recent trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default A few notes about my recent trip

I always have the best of intentions to write a trip report...I take notes, written and mental, but then I get home and get involved and it never seems to get done! I figured I'd just briefly comment on a few tidbits...

Quick background info--this trip was to celebrate my dad's 65th birthday and I went along with both my mom and dad. We arrived Monday 4/20 and departed 4/27, renting a midsize SUV and an ECV for my dad. Dad wound up with bronchitis during our trip and spent a good 2.5 days sick in bed and only did bits of the other days because he was feeling so ill.

Hotel - We stayed at SOG which was a first for us. The resort is beautifully landscaped. We had one of the older rooms, but it was not too far of a walk from the lobby. Rooms were HUGE and three adults fit in comfortably. Staff were pleasant. We frequently walked across the street to the Poly to pick up the monorail--took us between 10 and 15 minutes depending on how tired we were. The resort definitely lacked in that Disney immersion other resorts on property have, but to be honest, what you get for the price can't be beat. If I don't have the money to swing a deluxe resort, I would definitely stay here again.

Dining - We ate at several new restaurants including WCC, Brown Derby, Spoodles, The Plaza and the San Angel Inn. My dad and I have pretty simple tastes--I found the San Angel Inn to be ok, but I don't find the need to go there again. (I prefer the Americanized Mexican food ). Brown Derby was good, but I would not use two table credits on it. Spoodles was nice, had some interesting dishes but a little too "out there" for my liking. Oh, but the sangria was good! My dad and I both really enjoyed The Plaza and WCC--we will do these again. My mom likes anything so she enjoyed each place. We also stuck to some old favorites like 'Ohana, LeCellier, and Kona. Service was not exactly stellar at any of the restaurants, but acceptable. When I made the reservations, they asked what we were celebrating and I told them it was my dad's 65th. The person taking the reservation must have marked that on all the ADRs, because when I check in I was frequently asked whose birthday it was, but only two restaurants did anything to celebrate it-Kona and the Brown Derby. That's ok though, because dad doesn't like a lot of attention.

Parks - I found the parks to be moderately crowded most of the time, certainly more so towards the weekend. Most of the larger attractions had wait times of 40+ minutes with some days at 90 minutes. Mom and I got in line for TT with it posting a 30 minute wait (I should have known where the line started it would be more than 30 minutes...). When we finally got on the ride we had waited for more than an hour and the wait time was then 80 minutes. EPCOT was beautiful with the flower and garden show. We had a blast at MK and I even braved Splash Mountain for the first time! Only spent a half a day at AK before Dad got sick, which is a shame b/c it's one of my favorites. Only went to DHS for Fantasmic. We went Thurs for the 8 pm show. Got in line 90 minutes prior to showtime and were able to get prime seats, but it was already packed. With 40 minutes to go it was standing room only. Such a great show though--I love Sorcerer Mickey!

KTTKT - We took this tour for the first time and it was fabulous! My dad was feeling well enough this day to go, and did it on an ECV with no problems. Matthew was our tour guide and he did such a great job. We learned so many new and interesting tidbits--I highly recommend it! I am sure that I will take this one again!

Anyway, even with all of our ups and downs, we had a fabulous time together. My brother was unable to join us this time because he is serving in Afghanistan, but we're in the process of planning an early December trip that he will join us for! Thank goodness for DBF doggysitting for us! Thanks all for reading and I'm looking forward to my next trip!
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your dad getting sick- glad to hear you still had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

It's no fun to be sick while on vacation! Glad your dad was able to enjoy some of it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your dad is doing better! Our trips overlapped by a couple of days. I agree that Epcot was just gorgeous with all the beautiful floral arrangements! Glad you had some good meals. I liked WCC alot this trip, too. You've got me wanting to do the KTTKT now. Maybe next trip... Godspeed to your brother and give him our thanks!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your dad is feeling better.
    * stayed at more then once
    Yacht Club, POR, POFQ,CSR,All Star Sports*,
    CBR,Pop Century*,CR,WL,FortWilderness* Animal Kingdom lodge,All Star Music*.

Post Thanks / Like

Aww! You're poor Dad! Sounds like your family made the best of it. I agree with you on the Brown Derby..not worth 2 table credits..Glad to hear about the tour. We are taking it in August. Thanks for the report!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

My thanks to your brother, what a guy! I'm sorry he didn't get to enjoy Disney with his family. Maybe next time.

Sorry your dad was sick! Being sick at Disney is a bummer. I hope he's feeling well now, and a belated happy birthday to him!

We were there from 4/19 to 4/24 and I found the parks to be much lower crowds than I expected, not too bad at all. Though, we were midweek, missed the weekend. Great information on SOG and the tour. Sounds like you had some good dining. Thanks for the report!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Even with the illness it still sounds like you had a good time. Show your brother a GREAT time in Dec. Tell him Thank-You, please!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were able to spend some quality time with your parents.

Hope Dad is feeling better, as I know all too well, that it is a real bummer to be sick on vacation!

Thanks for the report!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Glad you were able to enjoy your trip
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

I give thanks to your brother for his service.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry your dad had a rough time of it but it sounds like you still had a magical time!

And thanks to your brother for his service to this country!
    °o° Kelly, Mike & Jackson - Nini & Papa °o°
    13 - Dream
    12 - Offsite
    11 - Offsite
    11 - CB
    10 - Disneyland
    09 - Dolpin
    09 - CB
    08 - AKL
    08 - Dolphin
    07 - CS
    06 - PC
    05 - PC
    76-93 - Offsite 6 visits

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that your dad was sick for part of the trip. But it still sounds like you had a great time. I, too, thank your brother.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear that your Dad got sick during this special trip! It sounds like you still had a nice time and I hope he had a wonderful birthday!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan