Quantcast What do to on the first night?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: What to do first night?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Epcot, dinner with Chip and Dale (my son's FAVORITES)

14 22.95%
  • Poly, dinner at 'Ohana (never done this), ride monorail for fun

22 36.07%
  • Go to Downtown Disney (never done this)

23 37.70%
  • Minigolf (never done this)

2 3.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do to on the first night?

This year we are taking an early flight and arriving at WDW much earlier in the day than we've done in the past. I'm trying to decide what to do . . . Family of 4, kids will be 6 and 8.

I'm thinking about going into the parks, but really don't want to stay out late and wear ourselves out on Day 1 of a 7 day trip!

Need some suggestions and input!! Thanks!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We usually go eat (lately it has been a character meal) and then if there is time go and piddle around on Main Street. Do the shops, etc. take in the atmosphere. Love it!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take your kids to the character dinner then potter round the world showcase. I think that it would make your kids first night memorable
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I said, go to Downtown Disney. There's plenty of restaurants and shops to see. I would get an ADR for one, then maybe stroll a bit and then head back to your resort.

Another option you might want to consider is the Boardwalk. It's not easy to get there unless you're in the area, you'll have to transfer buses at a park or Downtown Disney. But, there are several restaurants there and at YC/BC and/or Swan/Dolphin. Plus there's usually various night-time entertainment along the Boardwalk.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaithTrustPixieDust View Post
    This year we are taking an early flight and arriving at WDW much earlier in the day than we've done in the past. I'm trying to decide what to do . . . Family of 4, kids will be 6 and 8.

I'm thinking about going into the parks, but really don't want to stay out late and wear ourselves out on Day 1 of a 7 day trip!

Need some suggestions and input!! Thanks!!
    I will suggest what we are going to do on our next trip to wdw in decemeber.
    We are going to take a boat ride from our hotel (POFQ) to dtd go shopping, And then go to Rainforest Cafe for a late dinner. That way it makes you feel like you are already in the magic, Without even being at a park yet.
    I can't wait!
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ºoº "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a Downtown Disney fan. We always feel like we lose a little bit of the magic if we have to venture into Downtown Disney territory. If you feel the need to see it (it's really not bad, there are some fun shops and things), then the best time to go is when you're not giving up major park time for it. The thing for us is that almost everything you see in Downtown Disney shops is available in the parks and resorts, and while there are a few neat sights and sounds, it's nothing special enough to keep us entertained long. If it was a choice between that and almost all of the other things you offered, I would choose the other things. But then, if you've never seen Downtown Disney, you might want to check it out and see how you feel about it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    That way it makes you feel like you are already in the magic, Without even being at a park yet.
    I can't wait!
    That's exactly the mood I'm going for . . . . This is all good feedback. Keep it coming! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

We go to DTD because it's eady and has a lot to offer. Plus it still has the magic Disney feel.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Our first day started out great this year and we are going to do it the same when we take DD in 2 years. We hit DTD for the afternoon, then went back to the resort to rest a little then get ready for dinner. We went to Narcoossee's and after dinner stood right outside the gates at MK to watch the fireworks. DS loved it and we did enough stuff to have fun, but we still got to bed early enough to get an early start the next day.
    °O° Cassandra °O°

Beach Club 4/07
    Caribbean Beach 2/09

Post Thanks / Like

Post first night

I'd do Poly and then go watch the Electric Water Pageant from the beach if you time it right. You could always ride the boat launch to MK and then take the monorail back - that's always a blast, especially at night

I'm not a big DD fan - seems like another shopping mall to me.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

Our first night tradition is to go to the Poly for dinner at Ohana, so that's what I voted for. We typically will spend a little time at MK either before or after dinner as well. This year, we had to change it up do to flight times, but I guess its always fun to start a NEW tradition. Have fun, whatever you choose!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Every year we go to MK and eat at the Crystal Palace the first night. It really gets us in the mood!
    This year we're going to Epcot the first night for something different. We've never seen the fireworks there. I think it'll be fun!
    Don't need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been--Mater

Post Thanks / Like

We went to DTD on somme occasions shopped, ate, rented a boat, ate some more. We also went to a waterpark for a few hours. There's nothing like going to TL or BB and then getting a good night's sleep.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

We love the polynesian atmosphere of Ohana. There are games during the dinner and the food is good and plentiful. After dinner you can watch the electric water parade from the beach or Wishes over MK. Of course ride the monrail, resort hopp look over the resorts. We have gotten off at Contemp. walked to the boat dock at the back of the hotel and rode the boat that goes between Contemp., Fort Wilderness and Wilderness lodge. Its a great time to experience all these wonderful resorts. The wilderness lodge is a site seeing trip that really added to our Disney experience.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I would chill out and go to DTD its always a lovely atmosphere and gets you in the mood for the rest of the holiday
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Poly for dinner and ride the monorail (one of my faves) idea. Then maybe a dip in the pool and into bed early! That would make a great start for a wonderful week!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I am the only oddball so far- I chose mini golf- only because on our last trip I made reservations for a character dining and our flight ended up being a little late- the me bus took longer and then checking in was long. I felt very rushed. I see you are getting in early so I am going to combine two of you ideas- go to DTD eat and then go mini golfing- still very fun and then go back to your room and get rested for the next day. Good luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

dtd - earl of sandwich, ghiradelli & maragita bar. now that's a relaxing afternoon/evening to get your trip started.

POFQ - November 2014
    POFQ - April 2013
    POFQ - February 2012
    CSR - January/February 2011
    CSR - April/May 2010
    CSR - November 2009
    CSR - April/May 2009
    POP - December 2008
    Contemporary - October 2007 *Honeymoon*
    POP - February 2006
    Poly - 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992

Post Thanks / Like

DTD...it's tradition. Raglan Road this year.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=GrumpyFan;1884369]I said, go to Downtown Disney. There's plenty of restaurants and shops to see. I would get an ADR for one, then maybe stroll a bit and then head back to your resort.

We also like to go to CM for dinner and get in the Character spirit and then watch the fireworks
    "Wheres my super suit! "

Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

Bronson

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: