Quantcast Tourettes / ADHD and GAC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tourettes / ADHD and GAC

Hi,

Does anyone know how WDW handles these sorts of disabilities?

I know the last thing a family in line wants to hear is me swearing up a storm, as Tourettes can be quite unpredictable.

I'd rather not ruin someones trip

Thanks

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

First, Welcome to Intercot!!

My DS 11 has Tourette's / ADHD/ and Asperger's. We go to WDW every year and a lot of the reason that we go is beacuse WDW is the one place that he can go and no one really pays attention when he may act a little "different". In my experience most of the people there are too busy paying attention to everything there is to see that they pay little attention to other people.

My son's tics and vocalizations seem to be less at WDW, maybe due to the high number of other things stimulating him.

I wouldn't worry about ruining someone's trip. I try and not let what other people think have any affect on me and my son. You are on vacation and should have the time of your life. He has never needed a GAC and as long as you can stand in lines I doublt that you would need one.

If you have any questions you can PM me. Have a great trip!!
    DakandZakMom
    7-03 POR
    7-05 All Star movies
    07-06 Pop Century
    07-07 Pop Century
    07-08 POR
    07-09 Pop Century
    07-10 Pop Century
    07-11 POR
    07-12 Pop Century
    07-14 PO French Quarter
    07-16 Coronado Springs

A dream is a wish your heart makes.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to INTERCOT!

Glad to have you aboard!

There have been several threads recently about the GAC card, and I'm sure you'll find some very helpful information in them.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DakandZakMom View Post
    First, Welcome to Intercot!!

My DS 11 has Tourette's / ADHD/ and Asperger's. We go to WDW every year and a lot of the reason that we go is beacuse WDW is the one place that he can go and no one really pays attention when he may act a little "different". In my experience most of the people there are too busy paying attention to everything there is to see that they pay little attention to other people.

My son's tics and vocalizations seem to be less at WDW, maybe due to the high number of other things stimulating him.

I wouldn't worry about ruining someone's trip. I try and not let what other people think have any affect on me and my son. You are on vacation and should have the time of your life. He has never needed a GAC and as long as you can stand in lines I doublt that you would need one.

If you have any questions you can PM me. Have a great trip!!
    I wish it were so!

I swear like a drunken truck driver, especially when I'm confined to small spaces...

Post Thanks / Like

Default My son has Asperger's

and has a tendancy to let loose with the words when he is stessed... we did get the GAC on our last two visits as he really gets stressed in those lines. He is 11 and we just really try to take things easy as he tends to get over heated as well. I also plan to have his medical alert dogtag on and will add one with my cell number as well (we have gotten them engraved at Disney) JUST in case. Good luck! I know it is hard for others to understand. I might even get him a t-shirt. I liked one at cafepress- 'Autistic by day, ninja by night'....
    All Star Music, March 2002
    Contemporary, Feb 2003
    SOG Dec 2006
    Pop Century April 2007
    SOG June 2009-Star Wars Weekend
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek Sept 2011-first time off-site
    Sheraton Vistana Dec 2013-second time off-site

Wyndham Anaheim Disneyland 2015-First Disneyland[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to get a GAC card or at least take along what you need in order to get one. I think you need some sort of confirmation of disability from your doctor? I've seen sites that walk you through the process of obtaining the card as well as what to say to CM's who may not be completely familiar with the process (I know most CM's know but I have heard of a very few instances). Try the parks without it but if you're too stressed or self-concious, by all means get a card. This is your vacation too - do whatever you need to do for you and your family to have a most wonderful time!

And...... to INTERCOT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
    You may want to get a GAC card or at least take along what you need in order to get one. I think you need some sort of confirmation of disability from your doctor? I've seen sites that walk you through the process of obtaining the card as well as what to say to CM's who may not be completely familiar with the process (I know most CM's know but I have heard of a very few instances). Try the parks without it but if you're too stressed or self-concious, by all means get a card. This is your vacation too - do whatever you need to do for you and your family to have a most wonderful time!
    No, you do not need a letter, or note, or anything like that. The CMs technically are not supposed to take them.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: