Quantcast Pin Collection Themes?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pin Collection Themes?

I am interested in giving pin trading a try. I read some where that there are so many pins that it is a good idea to have "theme" to collect. For instance, goofy or princess etc. Do you have a theme? What is it? I am thinking of collection pins for all of the attractions if they have pins for most of them.

Thanks!
    Liz
    WDW October 2011 - POR
    WDW October 2015 - CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

my dd has been collecting pins since she was 5. her favorite characters to collect are chip and dale!!

my dh collects star wars pins

have fun!!
    2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter - December - Christmas Trip!!
    2009 - Was going in June, but now moved it to...
    2006 - POP Century - June - SWW
    2005 - ASMo - Christmas - DD's 1st Trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

I honesty don't have a theme for collecting pins. I just look for pins that I really like, I think for me it better I don't have a theme. I love to many things in Disney. I just enjoy trading and buying pins I love.
    I love the Jonas Brothers!

Post Thanks / Like

I like to hunt for the attractions. Sometimes they aren't so easy to find, but I like the hunt. When I find one, you would think I struck GOLD!! I also just look for ones that I really really like. I don't care about how rare they are and such. I also have mine displayed on cork boards and they look awesome!!

Post Thanks / Like

No theme here I just look for and buy the pins I like. Even with a theme there are so many different pins it can still get insane.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

i just started with out a theme but after my last 2 trips 2 disney and on the cruise i have started to focus on my favorite charater Stitch so just do what you like

Post Thanks / Like

When we first started collecting in 2007, we all decided to collect from our favorite Disney movies. For me, that was Alice in Wonderland. There aren't as many Alice pins around since the movie is much older than some others, but because they are a bit more rare, it makes it that much more fun when I find one!

That said, I found the set of princess pins where each of their dresses were set with rhinestones, irresistable!
    April 1986 Off-site
    July 1991 Off-site
    Dec. '95/Jan. '96 CBR
    July 2001 Off-site (DL)
    Feb. 2004 Off-site
    June 2007, off-site
    Sept. 2007, POP

Sept. 2009, POP AGAIN!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TeamJonasSister View Post
    I honesty don't have a theme for collecting pins. I just look for pins that I really like, I think for me it better I don't have a theme. I love to many things in Disney. I just enjoy trading and buying pins I love.
    I don't have a theme either. If I like it, I get it. Lately we have been doing more trading. So, we will buy the mystery pin packs, (2 for $10) and use those for 'traders'. Some folks do e-bay and purchase 'lots', but I have not done that, yet. Since we've been doing this now for 3 years, we are finding that we are not as excited about the selection (what Disney is selling), but you can find a pretty desirable variety of pins from the cast members.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

The mystery pin packs are good idea to build up my trading supply. Thanks!
    Liz
    WDW October 2011 - POR
    WDW October 2015 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I promised myself I wouldn't invest in pin tradinig. Convinced that it was just a way to spend money for something to collect dust.

Then a good friend gave me a pin for my birthday. She knew I loved Disney and I didn't want to insult her by saying I didn't collect pins so I graciously took the pin. Then I won the pin lanyard for YOAMD and I was hooked.

I am trying not to go over-board, although it is so hard with all the fabulous pins.

have started with resort pins for the resorts I have stayed at , events I have attended and pins with Pluto themes.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for two princess sets for my collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky for me I started collecting tink and she's everywhere! I just try to get the pins i really like and that are special for me. Like a halloween one for mnsshp and year of a million dreams with tink...but the more i think about it i just buy what i like! haha, that's what makes pins so fun! Everyone can do their own thing, but it can still bring everyone together!
    *~*Melissa*~*

"A dream is a wish your heart makes"
    May 2005 - Off Site
    August 2006 - AS Sports
    September 2008 - Contemporary - CL

May 2010 - Beach Club - CL!!!
    December 2010- Disneyland! (frist trip)

Post Thanks / Like

My wife likes all the villains and I like mostly the "bad boys of Disney." We do however trade for anything that strikes our fancy. We buy the pins on ebay and trade those. We don't get the little either and it's still a LOT cheaper than buying retail. We will be looking for Haunted Mansion ones this time as we have themed our camper as the haunted Mansion. The hunt is all part of the fun too. We often trade people for almost anything if they want something specific and it is one of our traders they want anyway. Brings a little happiness to someone. We have 2+ lanyards, one keepers and 1 or more with traders, plus a bag of extras. Yes we go overboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I go for groups. For instance, I have all of the trash can pins, all of the transportation pins, all of the parking lot pins, all of the Fastpass pins and so on. I collect character pins too but I will go for a certain movie...such as all the pins from Lady and the Tramp or Cars.

I'm a HM kinda gal. I do have commons and I do trade those but I will go after a CM for a HM pin first. I also trade at the Pin Trading Hut at DTD (there's an area out back set up with tables for trading).

I've been collecting and trading since 1996 and currently have more than 600 pins...about 80% of which are HM.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many of the other posters, I collect what appeals to me regardless of theme or value, but there are a few kinds of pins that I'm a sucker for:

-Jiminy Cricket
    -Anything with a photo or image of Walt
    -Special events like Flower & Garden Festival or the Halloween Party, but I usually limit myself to one pin for each event I attend
    -Annual Passholder exclusives
    -Figment
    -Scoop

I've gotten a lot better as the years have passed about not buying everything in sight, but it can be a real challenge! In self-defense, you may want to set yourself a budget of either a dollar amount or a max. number of pins you will buy on any given visit.

Good luck and happy trading!
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, I just buy pins that I like. However, I do enjoy collecting Hidden Mickey (aka Cast Lanyard) pins and Chip/Dale pins.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my first trip I only got pins of my favorite characters and favorite attractions, as well as one for each of the parks and the pin stating the year.

Now I'd probably go for Tink, characters dressed as other characters, and The Nightmare Before Christmas/The Lion King.

Really, there are so many pins, just pick your favorites!

Post Thanks / Like

We just started on our pin journey....and I tried for so long to stay away too. The first theme that I find appealing is of course Mickey, followed closely by anything with Walt and Mickey.

I like so much of what I see....this is why I stayed away....I know I'm gonna lose mah mind!

I want to collect up Tiki stuff, Spaceship Earth stuff, Wilderness Lodge stuff, Merryweather pins, Monorail pins, Japan pavillion stuff, Star Wars pins, Fozzie Bear stuff...gaaaahh!

Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

My theme is the Disney resorts we have stayed in. I have sixteen so far plus some of our favorite attraction pins. I was upset I didn't buy a Dixie Landings pin when we stayed there years ago because they stopped selling the pin after it changed names. I found a Dixie Landings pin at the Disney outlet in St. Augustine Florida and now have all the resorts we have stayed in.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have a variety, but I do like to collect the various Disney cats, and I especially like Piglet so I have more of him than any other character. I like resort pins, park pins, ride pins - oh boy I just like pins! I don't have a huge collection, but I do have a fair few.

I like to find pins with a little something extra, like I have a wedding album pin that opens to a pic of Mickey and Minnie. I have a heart shaped locket style pin that is Walt as a baby, but it is a hologram, so depending on how you turn it, it's him as a baby and as an adult.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast