Quantcast Have you ever brought "other people" on your WDW vacation? How was it? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

We took MIL and FIL (Nana and PePaw) for a week last year. It was wonderful. We did CL so we were able to spend time together in the lounge each morning and in the evenings. Our rooms were not real close together. That wasn't our decision, but just how it ended up. It really was good that we were not as close as it gave us time apart. We did the parks together each day so they could see the grandkids. We returned each evening around 5 pm and sat in the lounge and then MIL and FIL did their own thing while we did things at the resort with the kids. It went really well. I would do it again in a heart beat. However, we do all get along well. It might not have been as good if that wasn't the case.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have done trips with just one grammy, with neice, and with both grammies and while they were fun times we do like to go with just our kids every other year. They were all easy to get along with. The grammies did slow us down a bit but we expected that. We also went into it with the attitude that if we didn't get to do something this year we will do it next year when we are by ourselves.
    Taking my Mom was the best thing we ever did. She hasnt been too many places and it was her first time flying. She ended up having so much more fun than she ever dreamed of. She said to me the minute she stepped foot into the AKL lobby that she finally "got it". She understood why we love it so much. My Dad had a stroke over a year ago and she hardly gets to go to the store because he needs constant care. She thanked me for taking her to Disney because she never would have been able to go without us.
    Sorry this got so long. Taking other people can be fun if you just lower your expectations and enjoy the fact that you are at Disney.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

In 2007 DH and I took our Mom's. My Mom had a great time as she has been a lot (took me my first time) my MIL was a different story.

She complained, wore the wrong shoes on our AK day (not the type of person you can make suggestions too, she is very hard headed). And walked very slow which caused us to miss A LOT and didn't seem to care. She basically just wandered around... couldn't have cared less where she was or what was going on. We made it clear about how we vacation before we ever went and that she didn't have to fully participate, and at one point she did skip Wishes and Spectromagic to go back to the room (and incidently skipped dinner too). We kinda think she didn't pay for the trip herself (we think HER Mom gave her the $$ to go, so she didn't fully appreciate the trip).

Basically, when you go with other people or bring other people, just plan your own thing and let them fall behind if they want to... we paid a lot of money to go on the trip and felt like it became a trip where we catered to her whim, like it was her own personal tour trip where everything went at her speed.

However... some other people on the board seemed to have a good experience, so I guess it all depends on who you are bringing!
    Laura

1999, 2001, 2002, 2004 , 2005
    2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge-HONEYMOON
    2007 Disneyland
    2007 Port Orleans Riverside
    2008 Pop Century
    May 2009 Disney Cruise-Wonder
    December 2009-Disney at Christmas

****Disneyventures...A Place for Happy Endings****

Post Thanks / Like

We went in Jan 2007 with my parents, and Sept 2008 with friends.

My parents are fine, very easygoing, want to do whatever we do. We'd suggested that they could hang out at the resort if they didn't want to come along with us (Mom has problems walking), but they didn't want to miss out on anything (DD was at the time their only grandchild).

Trip with friends was a little more stressful...we'll just leave it at that. It wasn't until the last few days of the trip that we all felt comfortable enough to split up...I guess we were afraid we'd hurt the other's feelings.

Anyway, we're going back this Sept with the parents AND the friends LOL BUT, our friends are staying at a different resort, so while we'll share some park time and meals, we won't be together 24/7.

so yes, we've done it, and plan to do it again LOL
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We took my MIL in Sept. of 2008. I was really, really nervous because not only had we never travelled with her before, but we sometimes had uncomfortable experiences out with her. For example, she can be rude to waiters. But, I'm really happy to say it was a wonderful experience! We let her know ahead of time what we had planned. We asked if there was anything she'd like to add to the itinerary. And, we made it clear that we didn't always have to stick together. We did end up sticking together the whole time. She wanted to go along with whatever we did - and she didn't complain about a single thing! But, best of all, she was just absolutely in awe of everything there was to do in Disney. She was so excited, that it made us more excited about things we'd already done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wire0monkey View Post
    She doesn't ask for what she wants, which drives me nuts. She refused to provide input into the plans ("Whatever you think is best") and then complained when things didn't go exactly like she wanted.
    Sounds a lot like my MIL.

So, my rules for successful group experiences:
    1. We do what we do...
    2. We are not tour guides, but you are welcome to follow us.
    3. We will tell you our plans....and you are welcome to be included...
    4. We often change our plans...Park Hoppers are a Must!
    4. If you want to do something else, please do so....don't be disappointed if we don't join you.
    This is the key to a happy group vacay. We do what we want and make it abundantly clear that anyone can feel free to do something else if what we have planned is not their thing. It works wonderfully. The only other issue we ever had was vacationing with MIL and SIL together. Remember that if you bring along 2 people who don't always get along it could make for an interesting trip.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We brought our best friends and their 2 daughters along, plus, we brought my in-laws. It was a great trip for everyone except my wife. She spent a lot of her time while we were there directing people to the various activities (meals mostly) we had planned. She said she would never do it again. The next time will be just the two of us and our friends, no kids, no in-laws!
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I went in 2001 with my DH and three of our good friends. We basically spent the majority of the time together. There were a few nights where I was too tired to go to the firsworks and such and stayed at the hotel...(I was 5 months pregnant at the time). Next month it will be me, DH, DD, DD, DS, my best friends and her new husband. My kids have never been before and me and my friend maybe get to see one another once a year so this is a real treat for us. I don't see how anything can ruined as long as we are flexible about everything.
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

Post Thanks / Like

Well.... we're working on a plan to take our family of 4, my brother-in-law, his girlfriend, and their three kids, my sister-in-law and her son, and two teenaged nephews... I'm insane, aren't I. Look, I promise to report back, if we all survive this....
    first trip - January '05, All-Star Movies
    heading for Pop Century in Sept/Oct '09!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: