Quantcast Are You A Planner?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do you plan ahead or go 'spur of the moment'?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a planner!

80 90.91%
  • Forget the planning...let's go next week!

8 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are You A Planner?

Are you one of those people who likes to plan your trip to WDW way in advance, or are you a 'spur of the moment' trip taker?

I personally LOVE to plan my WDW trips in advance. Sometimes the trip is over a year away but I'll get out all my Disney travel books (even though I've been there a gazillion times), as well as a new Passporter and mark down everything I want to do each day we're there. We'll decide where to stay, where to eat and what parks to go to. It's also fun trying to decide what our one 'special' thing is going to be - we try to do one new thing each trip, like one of the park tours, a new restaurant or even just taking a different route to one of the parks. I love Disney and planning is one of the best parts of going IMO.
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am definately a planner, while my wife is more spontneous. So over the years I have learned planned spontenaity. I plan a trip, but don't tell her til the last minute.
    Never underestimate the power of pixie dust!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would venture a guess that polling intercot members is not going to result in the most accurate poll for all WDW guests in general regarding planning. Most every intercotee is a planner or they wouldn't be here!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I am both! I plan lots of details for our week-long trip to the world, however we have annual passes for the first time this year and have made two very spontaneous weekend trips.
    Stefanie

Disney Trips
    BCV 2009
    POP 2009
    FW Cabin 2008
    BCV 2008
    GF 2008
    POFQ 2007
    Contemporary 2006
    Poly 2004
    DD Doubletree 2001
    Contemporary 1999
    ASM 1998
    Off Property 1997
    DISNEYLAND 1997
    Off Property 1996
    Ft Wilderness 1995

Post Thanks / Like

not a planner..the only thing i guess you can say i plan is when im going..after that..its called a vacation for a reason..i take it as it comes!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I "borrowed" the Master Planning Spread Sheet from a podcaster friend and it is all I use. My trips revolve around it. I have the next three trips planned, dates, meals, etc. I even have a trip planned for 2011....which will take place after I finish nursing school.

My DH just goes along, when I ask him if he wants to suggest anything, he just responds with....if you like it, I'll like it. Can't go wrong there.

I have tried to be more spontaneous - right Kathy? but it just doesn't seem to work for me. My OCD makes me plan plan plan.

Days til my vacations?
    68 days - May/June
    116 days - July
    272 days - December

Who's with me?
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden's Dad View Post
    I am definately a planner, while my wife is more spontneous. So over the years I have learned planned spontenaity. I plan a trip, but don't tell her til the last minute.
    Thats funny.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I would venture to guess that most members are the planners and most spouses let them!! My DH just nods his head alot!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking about this and I believe that it's become more and more difficult to visit WDW spontaneously unless you live within a reasonable driving distance. DH and I used to be alot more 'loose' with our planning - we'd go down for AP Openings for a weekend or plan a trip for just three weeks away. I think with the introduction of the dining plan as well as increasing prices and crowds, it's too difficult for us (as New Yorkers) to visit at the last minute. Now, I plan because I have to make dining reservations 6 months in advance, rent points from a DVC member to stay in my beloved Deluxe resorts because the rack rates are just too expensive for us and it's virtually impossible to find decently priced flights at the last minute. Those reasons are why I started having to plan the past few years, but as I stated before I really do enjoy the planning and if I can save money doing it, that makes it even better!
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess most people on Intercot are planners. Though I know some just want that taste of Disney. I am definitely a planner though. I started my countdown last summer and I have charts and schedules and dinner times. I actually use Google Docs, I don't know how many people are familiar with them but I can take my planning wherever I go. Borderline obsessive....
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I do like to plan, but perhaps not as far in advance as some planners. I don't think we've ever booked a trip more than three or four months out or made ADRs more than two to three months before a trip.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

If I lived close by, I would be a spur of the moment kind of person. Living in Michigan means we really need to plan (and budget) our trips to Walt Disney World.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a planner. For our major trip, I want to make sure we get to eat where we want, see the shows we want to see and if there is a party event, I want to be able to go the night it suits us best. Plus, when we know a year in advance that we are going a particular week, for me, it passes the time and is almost as much a part of the fun of it as going. I love planning my trip. It gets me excited and is one more aspect of geting there.

On the flip side, we have taken small spur of the moment trips with no planning, flying by the seat of our pants and they are extremely fun also! As a matter of fact, if we could afford it, we would have many more spur of the moment trips!!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I am a planner. I plan just about all our trips- even the ones that are Disney related. It's part of my fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I am a planner for all of our vacations, disney or other. I write everything down, park hours, shows, eating plan and ADR's, special things to see/do/buy, etc.

But if someone just showed up and said "get in the car, we're going to disney", I could be ready in 20 minutes!! And half of that time would be spent doing the "disney dance".

Post Thanks / Like

I am a proud planner!

Even if we wanted to just pick up and go, we really couldn't! There is too much saving ($$) that has to go into a trip to WDW, so I have no choice but to be a planner! Planning a trip to WDW is half of the fun, though, so I can't complain.
    Disneyland - California: Countless times as a kid
    WDW (1st trip): 05.30.07 - 06.06.07, POP Century
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 06.15.08
    Disneyland - California: 05.27.09 (celebrating 24th birthday)

Upcoming trips:
    12.09.2009 - 12.10.2009, Disneyland - California

Post Thanks / Like

Talking We use a spreadsheet

We plan to the inth degree. When we go to the parks we don't plan rides etc. However, we do plan breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We write down everything right from the time the Limo picks us up at the house to take us to Logan Airport to the minute we must return to MCO. That is the sad part, leaving. But we always know there is one more trip in our future.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I am most definitely a planner... it's my favorite part of the whole thing, honestly!! I feel like it extends the trip and I love pouring over time schedules to figure out where we want to be and when, planning to make our ADR's, finding new stuff to do...

All that being said, I don't actually plan out our days, though... I pretty much get it to what park we want to go to, where we want to eat and whether or not there's something special going on. From there, we pretty much take it as we feel like doing it... and I try to leave enough flexibility to be able to change plans around for weather, tired kids, etc.

I think I would love a spontaneous trip -- but you bet I would still try to fit as much planning as I could between the decision and the flight!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Texas, so I need to plan. Plus good planning can lesson the time we wait in lines!
    June 1975 offsite
    Sept 1977 offsite
    June 1985 offsite
    March 1990 Fort Wilderness
    June 1994 Caribbean Beach
    March 1996 Allstar Sports
    March 1998 Allstar Movies
    March 2001 Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2004 Pop Century
    Dec 2007 Pop Century
    Nov 2010 POFQ
    next trip June 2012 ASM

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that I do the most of the planning.Why noy?I am on Intercot,or Allears a few days each week,finding out stuff and keeping current.I did the booking thru MJ last month for our trip in September.
    Now if I could just get DW to sit down with me and read the menu pages we could figure out where we want to make ADRs.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: