Quantcast Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs {Merged Threads} - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I think we need to look towards some of the positive effects this may have like the possibility of an AP good at both resorts, similar check-in procedures,DDP, etc.
    I can see a lot of positives in this move, but, I also see negatives as well, which I expressed above.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    From what I've seen, people get promoted to the level of their incompetence. At Disney, like most big business, failure seems to be rewarded.
    And the larger the company, the more prevalent this becomes. It's because politics reign supreme. It's not about how good or talented you are, it's about how well you can spout back the company line and schmooze with your boss.

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Oops, did I drop the names of some of the worst management in WDW?
    Bad? Yes. The worst? Not even close ... that title hands down goes to Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    And the larger the company, the more prevalent this becomes. It's because politics reign supreme. It's not about how good or talented you are, it's about how well you can spout back the company line and schmooze with your boss.

Bad? Yes. The worst? Not even close ... that title hands down goes to Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris.
    Please do not remind me about Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris. They were the worst. Thing is, they aren't in charge, Holmes, Crofton and Rasulo are. Therefore, they are the ones who now get the brunt of it.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    From what I've seen, people get promoted to the level of their incompetence. At Disney, like most big business, failure seems to be rewarded.
    1) And, rewarded quite well and often.
    2) I can understand consolidation and layoffs.
    3) My fear is the coordinated menus.
    4) Too many menus look alike already.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RocknBev View Post
    I wish Walt were still here
    Although I am sure layoffs would still be existing with the economy, I don't think we would be worried about those staying being those who have "lost the magic"
    I wish Walt was still here too, but he would be 107 years old by now. Still, he left us way too soon (age 65).
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to Disneyland; what apparent differences and what subtle differences exist in DL as opposed to WDW? Just asking because I am interested....thanks!!

Here is a video link on this news:

http://www.wftv.com/video/18748969/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It's sort of hard to quantify ... it's so many different things, really.

For example, you can tell they don't use the same vendors for a lot of things, the accomodations in their hotels are very different (especially with things like linens and towels), their room keys look different, the park passes look different ...

And I'm not saying this to criticize ... it's more to point out the fact that, when you split up your buying power with multiple vendors instead of using just one, you're really raising expenses needlessly.

But I do agree with the overall sentiment that you need to maintain the uniqueness of each park. DL has a very different atmosphere and a very different feel than WDW. But I think you can maintain that uniqueness (and maybe even expand on it a little bit) if you eliminate some of the pointless redundancies and added expenses.

Also, I wouldn't say that I think combining WDI from each location into one will lead to fewer unique attractions for each park. I'm sure there will be WDI teams dedicated to DL and ones dedicated to WDW, they'll just report up to the same management, have the same back office support, etc.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I wouldn't say that I think combining WDI from each location into one will lead to fewer unique attractions for each park. I'm sure there will be WDI teams dedicated to DL and ones dedicated to WDW, they'll just report up to the same management, have the same back office support, etc.
    Problem is the dirty, backstabbing politics that goes on behind the scenes. When WDI wants something, WDW management puts constraints on the project to make the bean counters happy, forgetting the guests. Iger can get the blame there though. He can step up and tell the beanie babies that WDI will get the funding they need to make the BEST experience possible. He can then tell people like Phil Holmes to deal with closure of attractions or leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Problem is the dirty, backstabbing politics that goes on behind the scenes.
    Yeah ... I have to say I don't really like the way the relationship between WDI and Operations is set up. I think it's done very, very poorly in terms of its ability to ensure a quality guest experience.

BUT ... and this is a big but ... I do understand why they have it the way they do. It's ultimately the decision of WDW's management if they want to spend the money from their budgets to keep things spiffy clean and up-to-date. Ditto as to whether or not they want truly amazing, top-quality attractions or just okay ones that are barely enough to keep people coming through the gates.

You have to look at it from their viewpoint. They're incented based on financial performance, so they are (by default) incented to spend the absolute least amount of money possible to ensure high enough attendance and profitability levels. Their ultimate goal is always to keep expenses as low as humanly possible and revenues as high as possible, given the balance against expenses.

Unfortunately, visiting WDW is such an iconic American experience and there are just so many Disney apologists out there who flat out refuse to ever acknowledge that anything Disney does is less than perfect, WDW management has basically nil in the way of motivation to change.

That's why I get so frustrated when I hear people defending Disney even in the face of the indefensible. Because it ultimately leads to an overall cheapening of the entire product that affects everyone.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I get so frustrated when I hear people defending Disney even in the face of the indefensible. Because it ultimately leads to an overall cheapening of the entire product that affects everyone.
    The walmarting of WDW is you will. This will be the downfall. They will regret it one day. This is one reason, despite me not liking Universal, I hope Harry Potter is awesome. Pull people away from the gates of WDW's stale product for somethng new and truly magical.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The walmarting of WDW is you will. This will be the downfall. They will regret it one day. This is one reason, despite me not liking Universal, I hope Harry Potter is awesome. Pull people away from the gates of WDW's stale product for somethng new and truly magical.
    Me too. I think WDW needs a serious humbling in order to jolt them out of this mentality.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DISNEYFIX View Post
    Get the CEO and other execs to kick a few million into the company coffers to keep other people afloat. Sorry but just a little poed at how unbalanced and unfair this is to the little guy.
    First Day in the United States?

lockedoutlogic Guest

There are others.....pressler was the worst....

Lee "Cochroach" was notorious for being an absolute when the camera or voice recorder wasn't running....

And Al Weiss is nothing but a mouthpiece....they just picked him up off the streets of Orlando as a "local" mouthpiece....

Pressler takes the cake....a complete phoney who did a terrible job at WDC....and was repeatedly promoted as eisner picked the meat off the bones of countless executives....and then ran the Gap into the ground.....

what a tool
    Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 02-19-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo

lockedoutlogic Guest

I hate to praise any corporate decision that results in folks losing jobs, but the truth is this has been a long, long time coming.

I've always been completely amazed at how the two domestic parks were run totally independently of one another. Not only does that lead to a ridiculous level of redundancy in corporate functions, but it also leads to very inconsistent guest experiences. As someone who has visited both parks, I can tell you that the differences are striking.

I see this as a very painful yet very good thing for Disney. Eliminating all these operating inefficiencies should lead to a much larger capital base to plow back into the parks for upgrades and enhancements.
    I have to agree....

trimming creative redundancy is a necessary step....if not a completely obvious one.

The Disney world and Disneyland people operate alot like fraternities from opposite sides of the campus....as they basically are....

There are alot of stories out there (the validity must...as always....be taken with NaCl) about the infighting and scheming...that took place between the two coasts......mainly with ride development and attractions....

Disneyland would get one thing.....WDW would sulk.....A copy would then spring up at the other.....but would never equal the original for some reason...

My theory is that it was Jan Brady syndrome....and the loss was that things never quite gave you the same emotional response....

There is a downside....undoubtedly "big" ticket items will almost automatically come in pairs.....like Midway Mania

But perhaps when the dust settles that will mean an overall better quality......no magic carpets of aladdin......perhaps the justifications can be made to introduce things at a quicker pace because it's not like christmas morning anymore.....each kid doesn't have to get separate items of equal value....

And the other thing is....and this is a standard rumour ( and as wise men noted: when everyone believes the rumour....it becomes the truth).....the creative forces at WDC act like spoiled children....they huff and puff....and pout....and hold grudges....

I fully believe that.....what behavior would you expect from a group of thousands who are told "never to grow up" but are competing for the rights to spend billions of dollars in discretionary capital....

As far as things becoming too streamlined - we've already passed that exit on the highway.

The redundancy in shops at WDW is obvious and laughable.....and steadily becoming standard practice. That really is simple profit and loss. Cheap chinese products are higher profit the more that is bought and sold....and diversity of goods only will lower the bottomline

The menus are dangerously being close to standard in many places....the most obvious example to me are the "Signature" dining locations....

The menus are all the same.....perhaps a one or two item difference per course....but largely interchangeable. Tenderloin, Chicken Breast, Salmon, Creme Brulee, and Cheesecake are on every menu....without exception...

Its been going that way....and will continue.

I've read alot of complaints in the last year or so about the quality and selections of the buffets going down....but since we don't eat at them too much...didn't think much of it.

We ate at Chef Mickey's and Park Fare 3 weeks ago....and they complainers are right: they've taken a massive downturn already. Horrible....and that's breakfast food that is near impossible to screw up.

It seems obvious to me that they have reduced the quality of their suppliers and products and perhaps even have decided to pursue less skilled preparers.....i have a good food memory....and the lack of quality for a current meal at a character buffet is laughable compared to the 80's or 90's...and of course...much more expensive.

Who knows? My guts tell me that this might actually be a good thing....with of course the complete potential to be disasterous

But fear not.....Harry Potter World will undoubtedly whip them back into shape....

after all....there are literally....thousands....who will go to IOA in a stagnant economy....and even a couple of hundred more who actually still think that childrens series is a big deal and holds any grip over the public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    . . . The menus are dangerously being close to standard in many places....the most obvious example to me are the "Signature" dining locations . . .
    1) Yes.
    2) Signature used to mean special menu items at the eatery.
    3) Now it just stands for the place you put your name on the charge slip.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not one that has paid much attention to the business side of Disney. Several of you mentioned names of those whom you feel have performed poorly in their positions. So, are there any people that you think have been an asset to the company and have made good decisions AND are still part of the Disney empire? Are there any execs that you DO like? And if so, why?

Post Thanks / Like

It's started already - I noticed on my recent trip that all cups, plates, napkins, etc., now say "Disney Parks" instead of "Walt Disney World". I was saddened to see that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    It's started already - I noticed on my recent trip that all cups, plates, napkins, etc., now say "Disney Parks" instead of "Walt Disney World". I was saddened to see that.
    See - this doesn't bother me. In fact it strikes me as the perfect place to be efficient. I don't keep the cups, plates or napkins; they're trashed the minute I'm done eating. So if they can save a few bucks that way, great. I'm far more disappointed if the actual quality of the product is impacted, rather than the label...

Now if only we could ensure that they took that savings and reinvested it in true improvements to the things we really care about...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    The Disney Parks moniker has been around for two years now?? I think when YOMD started???
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I saw this too

I was reading about it in today's issue of the Wall Street Journal (page B-2). In it they said that attendance at the domestic parks for the quarter (which ended in Dec. 27) had fallen 5% from a year earlier. And they went on to state that the park unit's operating income declined 24% to US$832M.

The article also mentioned the Buy 4 Get 3 Free deal. "Company officials say that such promotions have helped the park's performance so far this year". <-- That much is certainly good news!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: