Quantcast Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs {Merged Threads}

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs {Merged Threads}

Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs

Jason Garcia
    Sentinel Staff Writer

5:20 PM EST, February 18, 2009

The Walt Disney Co. announced a sweeping corporate overhaul Wednesday at its domestic resorts, with plans to combine back-office operations at Walt Disney World and Disneyland and eliminate an unknown number of jobs.

In a memo to employees at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, division Chairman Jay Rasulo said the corporate streamlining -- which will include merging "operating infrastructure" at Disney World and Disneyland under the leadership of Al Weiss, president of worldwide operations for Parks and Resorts -- has been accelerated by the nation's troubled economy.

"The long-term success of Parks and Resorts depends upon our ability to continue to adapt and innovate, to respond to ever-changing guest preferences, and to implement an organization and cost structure that meet today's economic realities," Rasulo said. "We must accelerate the evolution of our business and further refine our work structure to work in a more integrated and effective manner."

Disney, which employs about 62,000 people in Central Florida, would not say how many jobs will be eliminated by the move.

"Organization changes require difficult decisions, including the elimination of some roles," Rasulo said. "These decisions were not made lightly and we know this will be a challenging transition. These people are our friends and colleagues, and they have made valuable contributions."

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh No - One Group Does Menu Planning

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Walt Disney Co said on Wednesday it will consolidate some "back of house" operations, including menu planning and ride design, at its two U.S. theme parks to try to offset the effects of the global economic downturn.

The reorganization is effective immediately and will result in new job cuts, but the company would not specify how many.

Disney Parks Chairman Jay Rasulo said "economic realities" required the company to focus and streamline its operations in a way that "eliminates redundancies."

Earlier this month, Disney's parks division reported a 24 percent drop in quarterly operating income and a 4 percent revenue decline in part due to slowing consumer spending.

The new organization calls for Walt Disney Imagineering, the parks' engineering and design teams, to be consolidated into a single group that handles attractions for all parks.

The company also will create a single domestic group to handle behind-the-scenes services such as maintenance, menu planning and security, for Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

Last month, Disney Parks and Resorts offered voluntary buyouts to 600 parks executives at the U.S. parks to trim its administrative costs as hotel bookings slipped at its parks.

The company received "a satisfactory response" to that offer but did not divulge the number of executive positions that would be eliminated.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so SAD but I guess everyone is dealing with layoffs.
    At my school we are losing 7 positions. This economy is awful.
    I just hope that, when things turn around, the people who are being let go now will be the first ones hired back - at Disney and every other business. In these pressing economic times, I guess there will be sacrifices everywhere.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I just hope that these consolidated teams remember that WDW and DL are not exactly the same and shouldn't be treated as if they are.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

This was a long time coming the resorts are run so differently that it still amazes me they are under the same parent company. Hopefully this leads to an annual pass valid on both coasts.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I hate to praise any corporate decision that results in folks losing jobs, but the truth is this has been a long, long time coming.

I've always been completely amazed at how the two domestic parks were run totally independently of one another. Not only does that lead to a ridiculous level of redundancy in corporate functions, but it also leads to very inconsistent guest experiences. As someone who has visited both parks, I can tell you that the differences are striking.

I see this as a very painful yet very good thing for Disney. Eliminating all these operating inefficiencies should lead to a much larger capital base to plow back into the parks for upgrades and enhancements.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I hate to praise any corporate decision that results in folks losing jobs, but the truth is this has been a long, long time coming.

I've always been completely amazed at how the two domestic parks were run totally independently of one another. Not only does that lead to a ridiculous level of redundancy in corporate functions, but it also leads to very inconsistent guest experiences. As someone who has visited both parks, I can tell you that the differences are striking.

I see this as a very painful yet very good thing for Disney. Eliminating all these operating inefficiencies should lead to a much larger capital base to plow back into the parks for upgrades and enhancements.
    Agreed, and yet I hope the parks retain their unique personality. I have found the operating differences annoying.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

I only see this as a natural event because they have started sharing attractions again. When they were developing separately, offering different experiences, it made more sense to keep them in different silos. I don't see where the innovation is coming from, unless tossing those salaries overboard means WDI might get more creative freedom.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully these "back of house" job cuts will not impact the front of house guest experience. I'm sure there will be some transitional effects, but hopefully not too bad.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Eliminating all these operating inefficiencies should lead to a much larger capital base to plow back into the parks for upgrades and enhancements.
    Or a bigger bonus next year for those at the top. TWDC is one of the fattest cats I've seen. The only problem with these cuts/consolidations is that I think we will now see even less diversity in the parks. We have already witnessed this with the gift shops, next up menus, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I don't lose my job.....
    1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Post Thanks / Like

Get the CEO and other execs to kick a few million into the company coffers to keep other people afloat. Sorry but just a little poed at how unbalanced and unfair this is to the little guy.
    2008 @ VWL Turkey Day 8 day Adventure
    2008 Oct. @ BCV can we not get rained out of MNSSHP?????
    2008 Easter @ BCV & AKV 8 Days of Joy!
    2007 Nov. DVC going home to VWL & MVMCP gotta do it twice!
    2007 Sept. DVC going home to BCV & 1st MNSSHP boo!
    2006 DEC. POLY MKV. Concierge & MVMCP

Post Thanks / Like

These are not "little guys" so to speak losing their jobs these are executives on the high end of the pay scale. Jobs like President of Theme Park Entertainment WDW and they have the same job title duplicated for both resorts. So they are making on position Theme Park Entertainment Disney Parks. It's basically taking any position that can be consolidated into one for both resorts. Basically the person with the position will just have both resorts report to them. I really don't think guests will experience any negative changes from this.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy View Post
    I hope I don't lose my job.....
    Good luck. I hope you don't either. With this news, I would expect we will see more "Disney PArks" branding and cloning of rides?
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    These are not "little guys" so to speak losing their jobs these are executives on the high end of the pay scale. Jobs like President of Theme Park Entertainment WDW and they have the same job title duplicated for both resorts. So they are making on position Theme Park Entertainment Disney Parks. It's basically taking any position that can be consolidated into one for both resorts. Basically the person with the position will just have both resorts report to them. I really don't think guests will experience any negative changes from this.
    But Jay Rasulo and Meg Crofton are still around, as is Phil Holmes. All three are killers of the magic.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Name dropper! hehe

From what I've seen, people get promoted to the level of their incompetence. At Disney, like most big business, failure seems to be rewarded.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see how this move would lead to more corporate efficiency but I'm concerned that instead of trading up in imagineering we may see more "cookie cutter" type attractions and operations in the future, way beyond what we've already seen.

I'm also concerned that there will be a loss of diversity. Despite their similiarites, at their hearts Disneyland and WDW are two very different resorts, in style, history, atmosphere, guest demographics and attractions. Things that will work in California won't work in Florida, and vice versa.

Because of the need for streamlining in this economy, I'm doubtful that any new management strategy will keep this in mind.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Walt were still here
    Although I am sure layoffs would still be existing with the economy, I don't think we would be worried about those staying being those who have "lost the magic"
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to look towards some of the positive effects this may have like the possibility of an AP good at both resorts, similar check-in procedures,DDP, etc.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Name dropper! hehe

From what I've seen, people get promoted to the level of their incompetence. At Disney, like most big business, failure seems to be rewarded.
    Oops, did I drop the names of some of the worst management in WDW? Bad me. The only good thing I read was most of the employees that report to Meg Crofton will no longer report to her. As long as these three are still in charge, expect lackluster attractions, scaled down refurbs, and attractions opened long before refurbs are complete (SSE anyone?).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: