Quantcast Going to DL (first time)-why can't I get excited?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to DL (first time)-why can't I get excited?

Hi

DH wanted to do something other than WDW this year so we are planning on a DL trip in mid-August.

I just cannot seem to get excited about this trip. There really isn't much planning, no dining plan, no real advantage to staying onsite.

And....there boards are just not very exciting or informative.

Is it just me??? Anyone else experience this?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland is my favorite place to be. There really is not a whole lot of planning to do. That could be good thing for some who over think or want to stick to the schedule. I agree that there isn't all the talk like there is going to Disney World. I disagree with the resorts. If I had the money I would stay at a Disney Resort every visit.

Our trip to Disney World in 07 was the first big trip I had ever taken to Disney World. I could believe all the planning it took to make sure you stayed at the best hotel for your budget, ADRs(that was a major ordeal), making sure you made it to every show and parade, etc...

Disneyland is a breeze... Sit back, relax, and enjoy the original park!
    Disneyland many trips as a child
    Disney World 83 & 91
    Disneyland 94, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05
    Disneyland Grand Californian 2000 Holiday time
    Disney World Nov 06
    Disneyland 07 Holiday time
    Disneyland 08 June and Holiday time
    Disney World June 09
    Disneyland 09 Holiday time
    Disneyland 2010 June

Post Thanks / Like

You'll love DL once you get there. Such an awesome place to visit and to see the original. I would love to go back some day. By the way, we're originally from Dartmouth (my SIL lives in Freetown).
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

DL is my families favorite place too. It is such a different experience from WDW just because if you want to dine (depending on the season & day) you can get into just about any place to eat. It is really a more go with the flow kind of place. I hope you have a wonderful time!
    Sarah
    Premium AP DLR
    DL - Too many to count
    DLR- Oct 09 Trick or Treat
    WDW - June 2006 offsite
    WDW - June 2009 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to Disneyland so many times now, I've lost track. It helps that I live in No. Cal. so we get to visit often. There is some planning that you can do.

Call prior to your trip to get reservations at Napa Rose, Blue Bayou, Ariel's Grotto, Goofy's Kitchen...etc. These are some of the best places to eat on property. Schedule a tour of Disneyland and/or California Adventure. There are so many hidden gems at Disneyland, I'm sure you will have a really good time.

The hotels on property are nice (I've only stayed at the Disneyland hotel and have walked through the Grand Californian). You are correct that there isn't much of a benefit for staying on property, however, it is really nice being close to the parks and DTD. Even if you stay off property, there are plenty of hotels within walking distance.

It is smaller and has a completely different feel than WDW. You will enjoy it! Have a wonderful time. If you need any tips and suggestions, please feel free to PM me.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    You'll love DL once you get there. Such an awesome place to visit and to see the original. I would love to go back some day. By the way, we're originally from Dartmouth (my SIL lives in Freetown).
    Too funny...I work in the Freetown/Lakeville Middle school. Any neices or nephews there?

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to WDW many times because my job takes me to central FL a lot but there is nothing that compares, to me anyway, with the magic of DL. My mom loved DL. My Nana loved DL. It is in our blood. DL is Walt's park. It is smaller, more relaxing and has a special magic all its own. Plus there is so much more to do in So. CA. When people in FL see that I am from CA they always ask which park do I like better. I tell them the parks are so different; it is apples to oranges but I always say I like Disneyland best. Maybe because my childhood was spent at DL and not WDW.

I think you will have a great time. I just wouldn't go expecting it to be as intense as WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you when you'll get really excited - when you are planning your SECOND trip to Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonsmom View Post
    Hi

DH wanted to do something other than WDW this year so we are planning on a DL trip in mid-August.

I just cannot seem to get excited about this trip. There really isn't much planning, no dining plan, no real advantage to staying onsite.

And....there boards are just not very exciting or informative.

Is it just me??? Anyone else experience this?
    You are not alone. I too am trying to plan our 1st trip to DL for this coming August, but can't even decide on dates. In our case it is I who wants to try a new place instead of WDW. DH would go back to WDW in a heartbeat. There is so much to do in California that it is almost mind boggling. As our airfare costs a lot, I am trying to pack as much into this trip as possible, which includes flying into Las Vegas, seeing Vegas, the Grand Canyon, then renting a car to drive to DL. I also want to see Universal, a GREAT Beach and of course a tour of the stars homes.
    I have been trying to decide for the past two weeks on whether or not we should stay in DL or stay off-site. We have always stayed on-site in WDW. I am however leaning towards on-site just to benefit from the early admission on the available days.
    I definitely agree with the available info on the DL boards, not at all like the info available on WDW. I for one would like to know exactly which days has early admission for DL resort guests, but have not found a calendar. I don't even know if there is such a thing as Extra Magic Hours in DL. Even though I don't feel the same exictment as when planning a trip to WDW, I am excited about experiencing a new place.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    You are not alone. I too am trying to plan our 1st trip to DL for this coming August, but can't even decide on dates. In our case it is I who wants to try a new place instead of WDW. DH would go back to WDW in a heartbeat. There is so much to do in California that it is almost mind boggling. As our airfare costs a lot, I am trying to pack as much into this trip as possible, which includes flying into Las Vegas, seeing Vegas, the Grand Canyon, then renting a car to drive to DL. I also want to see Universal, a GREAT Beach and of course a tour of the stars homes.
    I have been trying to decide for the past two weeks on whether or not we should stay in DL or stay off-site. We have always stayed on-site in WDW. I am however leaning towards on-site just to benefit from the early admission on the available days.
    I definitely agree with the available info on the DL boards, not at all like the info available on WDW. I for one would like to know exactly which days has early admission for DL resort guests, but have not found a calendar. I don't even know if there is such a thing as Extra Magic Hours in DL. Even though I don't feel the same exictment as when planning a trip to WDW, I am excited about experiencing a new place.
    Wow, that is quite a vacation. It's going to be great seeing other places as well.

WDW is a short flight - 2 hours vs. almost 7 with SWA. We have to plan our trip in the Summer because we need to allow for jet lag when we return. I don't think 7 days is really enough time for California. We are planning on flying into LAX on a Monday, staying in Anaheim til Saturday, then taking an Amtrak train to San Diego and renting a car. We want to visit San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld and of course, a beach. We are planning on going to Universal Hollywood too. I think we are going to buy a So. California City Pass. Not much info on how to get to Universal Hollywood either besides the GrayLine Bus, which also offers tours to star's home. You could PM me anytime to share info.

I do not even have ADR's for any meals - I think we are just going to wing it. Unlike previous trips to WDW, we will probably be going back to our hotel and taking a break mid-afternoon and returning. We never have done that at WDW but never have travelled there in August.

I think there is a website, dont think I can mention it, that sells tickets that incorprate some time of Early Morning entry. They call it something else, I think. Maybe its early entry to Toon Town. My son will be 12 in November, he doesnt have an interest in that, I am sure.

Even viewing Fantasmic, I think will be a big change from seeing it at HS.

I don't think calendars get posted as early either.

Well...maybe a slow pace isn't a bad idea.

Happy Planning

Joanne

Post Thanks / Like

WE went last summer for 2 weeks (well California for 2 weeks) -- spent 5 days at Disneyland. I NEVER got excited about it. I think it was the cost of the whole venture. Like Magic Smiles said, it's very expensive to fly from our part of the world ($2200 for 3 flights, and we had the fourth free). I am still overwhelmed when I think of how much money we spent, and we were not living lavishly or shopping or anything.

That said, we had a very nice time, and saw all kinds of wonderful things, and had some fabulous NEW experiences -- Like experiencing the Earthquake from the balcony at the Golden Horseshoe! Monterrey and the absolutely fabulous San Francisco.

Disneyland is different than Disneyworld, and I think it is important to separate the two and not compare them. California Adventure is another great park ....

You'll love it -- for sure. And like Mel says, you'll be excited when you plan your second drip to Disneyland!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Too funny...I work in the Freetown/Lakeville Middle school. Any neices or nephews there?
    My nephew is in 6th grade (I believe he goes to that school). His twin brother/sister are in 9th grade at the high school.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I work in the cafeteria - so I am accessible. Tell him to stop and say Hello - I serve the main lunch of the day. He can say he is the nephew of Red Sox Fan. I have a 5th grader!

Post Thanks / Like

So Cal is a great place to visit. I totally get the whole cost to fly across the country; we are booked for WDW for June and with a free tix it was just over $2000 to fly 7 of us. And because of the cost to go back there we are going for 10 nites (the bosses weren't happy about that one). We used the City passes once and they were great and saved lots of money!
    Sarah
    Premium AP DLR
    DL - Too many to count
    DLR- Oct 09 Trick or Treat
    WDW - June 2006 offsite
    WDW - June 2009 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah,

The City Pass is a great bargain. We are also doing 10 days - its just so far to go for a week.

Prepare for humidity @ WDW in June, but I am sure you have done your homework.

Were you able to take advantage of the Stay 4, Get 3 Free? That is a great offer.

Joanne

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think that I am getting a little closer in my planning and therefore the excitement is starting to build.
    We have book our hotel in Las Vegas 2 - 7 Aug. Will probably take the Wednesday and drive to the Grand Canyon.
    So that gives us Sun, Mon, Tues in Vegas, Wed to the Grand Canyon, Thurs in Vegas and then depart to California on Fri.
    We have pretty much decided to stay at the Disneyland Hotel from the Mon 10 Aug until the Sat or Sun 14/15 Aug. I would check into the Disneyland Hotel on the Tues, but I want to take advantage of the early morning hours that day. Will confirm on the Mon night later next week. So now I only have to book the Fri - Sun/Mon at a cheaper hotel that gives us good access to Universal and tours and a beach. Looked at hotels on the beach, but they are so expensive.
    Not really interested in getting the Southern California pass, as we do not plan on going to Sea World (been to the one in Orlando 3 times), nor to the San Diego zoo - too hot in Aug for a zoo for me. Also the beaches down in that area do not appeal to me - too many people! However there seems to be a million things that I would love to do in the Los Angeles area.

To Woozel, $2000 for 7 people is great. We were initially looking at $950 per person to fly from Ottawa to Vegas, return from Los Angeles to Ottawa, but have not yet booked flights.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I too am in the planning stages for a 1st trip to DL. While I am excited, i'm not as excited as planning a trip to WDW. I think it's because i'm more familiar with what to expect when we visit WDW and the unknown factor is weighing heavily on our DL trip. I do know that I will love the nostalgic aspect of DL so I already plan on taking the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I am going to make ADR's, but not go crazy and have decided pretty much on the DL hotel as well. I can't get anyone else in my travel party to get too excited over the prospect of being able to visit Hollywood & it's attractions, so am thinking it might be nice to stay a few days at the beach after DL. We are also planning on going to an Angel's game as well.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Glad to hear others feeling the way I do. I'm considering a trip to DL, and feeling a little un-enthusiastic. We've been to WDW twice, but we live in Alberta, so the flights are more expensive, and much longer (it took us 18 hours each way the last trip - yikes!). But there just doesn't seem to be much information or buzz....I can't figure out where to stay or where to eat. I've ordered the Unoffical guide and hoping it helps - it was my favourite in planning my WDW trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    Wow! Glad to hear others feeling the way I do. I'm considering a trip to DL, and feeling a little un-enthusiastic. We've been to WDW twice, but we live in Alberta, so the flights are more expensive, and much longer (it took us 18 hours each way the last trip - yikes!). But there just doesn't seem to be much information or buzz....I can't figure out where to stay or where to eat. I've ordered the Unoffical guide and hoping it helps - it was my favourite in planning my WDW trips.
    18 Hours - WOW, that is more like a trip of a lifetime.

Last April we went on a cruise,left from Miami and we met a couple from So. Africa. I beleive it took them just as long, if not longer to fly to Miami. They were going to WDW after their cruise.

The Unofficial Guide is great place to start. I bought one a few months ago. It is very comical as well.

I am a Type A planner so not having any dining ressies, etc. is just weird. We booked Candy Cane Inn. We are purchasing So. California City Pass, we have rented a car for travel in San Diego, booked a hotel in San Diego, which is overwhelming, but that is it. Haven't bought air cause Southwest's schedule isn't out yet, so just waiting for that.

The only other thing I don't like about planning DL is that unlike WDW where you buy a package and everything is paid for, its seems to be the reserve for me for DL. I have to no idea how much $$ to bring with me or anything. I was just hoping DH wanted to go back to WDW instead.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to no idea how much $$ to bring with me or anything.
    We wish we had taken more money. We found it very expensive in CA. are $4 each at DL.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: