Quantcast Driving to parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving to parks

Heading down in June for our first trip!!! -Driving from Michigan.
    We are staying at CBR. Should we drive to the parks or use the transportation? We have a 9 and 5 yr old.
    Thanks for your help. I have no cool icons because I am really computer illiterate!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First off!

to Intercot!!

Transportation coming home from the parks can be a pain at times depending on crowds and bus availability. The only park where the the buses are really more convenient is the Magic Kingdom since you bypass the Ticket and Transportation Center which means you don't need to take the parking lot tram and Monorail or boat to reach the main entrance. So my advice would be to drive to all the other parks and take the bus to the Magic Kingdom.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

DRIVE!!! The busses in the evening after you have been walking all day makes you worse than Grumpy! Like the last post we too are considering the bus for MK just to bypass the TTC, but DD and DS love the Monorail...so...I guess I just decided...Car. Free parking and you know you will get a seat!
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I always take Disney only transportation. I love parking the car and not seeing it again until I leave. The only time you will have problems is when the parks close due to large crowds leaving at once. Orlando is a traffic jam during those times. Give the buses a shot first day or two and see if you like it since it is your first visit. I have been to Disney over 20 times and truly never drive my own car unless going to Downtown Disney. And let your kids take the Monorail, it is something they will always remember. Try to seat up front once.
    Walt Disney an American Original

Post Thanks / Like

We have never rented a car or driven to Floria so I can only speak from the experience of using the bus transportation. After our experience last September, we have decided to rent a car from now on to get back and forth from the parks. We found the busses were very crowded both getting to and from the parks, and seemingly long waits to get on a bus. Almost every evening we would have to hold a sleeping child and stroller while standing (we have a 2 and 4 year old). My husband and I have always used the busses ever since we started going to Disney together however, over the past couple years the bus transportation seems to be going downhill in my opinion. Maybe when our children are older and can (safely) stand on their own we would think about using the busses again.
    Sept 99 Caribbean Beach
    Sept 00 AS Mu
    Sept 01 Wilderness Lodge & Our Disney Wedding
    May 02 AS Mo
    Sept 03 AS Mo
    Sept 05 Pop
    Sept 07 Pop
    Sept 08 Pop
    Sept 09 SSR
    Dec 09 AKL KV
    Aug 10 AKL KV
    Dec 10 SSR
    Sept 11 AKL KV
    Jan 12 Marathon Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

i vote drive!

I have used both the WDW shuttles and a rental and I highly recommend the car. Thing is, when you have your vehicle, you can come and go as you please. With shuttles, you have to wait to go, and return. With kids in tow, you are looking at some grumpy, tired, and irritable companions in a long line to get back to the resorts. At least in the car they can sleep while you make the short drive back. Plus, let's not forget yourselves. You can spend time waiting for the busses, or at the poolside bar, or even better, in bed sleeping!

Welcome to Intercot, and enjoy your trip! Hope my 2 cents help!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Unless we have to leave the grounds for some reason I like to drop my keys on the dresser when we arrive and not touch them again until we are ready to head home.

I spend a minimum of 90 minutes a day driving back and forth to work. It is a 1200+ mile drive for us each way to WDW. While we are there I am quite content to sit back and let someone else do the driving. If it takes a few extra minutes, so what? I am on vacation. Isn't the idea to relax and unwind???
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    If it takes a few extra minutes, so what? I am on vacation. Isn't the idea to relax and unwind???
    The problem is that lately the buses have been terrible and often very stressful especially standing in long lines at the end of the day. So it can be more like it takes an extra hour or 2.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We prefer the Disney buses. I'm on vacation and more than happy to allow someone else to do the driving, even if it means standing in a line for a bus at the end of the evening. For the most part, I've always found the buses to be fairly tolerable and I've never really seen the need to drive myself. And I've never run across the situation where the buses have taken an extra hour or two beyond what getting to your own vehicle and getting out of the parking lots would take.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Be flexible. See how the transportation is. Because of cutbacks the busses could be a nightmare, or they could be totally convienent.
    our last trip- which was some time ago, we stayed at a monorail resort & thought the transportation system was great. Staying at a moderate- I would tend to believe that you would have an easier time navigating in your own car.
    If you have 'AAA' there are supposed to be close parking spots (provided they are not filled) in their special area of the lots.

I agree with the others about Magic Kingdom. But it will also depend on when you intend on leaving the park, because at the end of the day...

Either way- Welcome and have a great trip

Post Thanks / Like

we used our car to get around WDW last year.

Much easier. Youre not subject to someone elses schedule.

Some busses are pleasnt in the middle of the day to get from one park to another as they are usually 25% full.

End of the night when they are 110% full they are less than pleasnat.

Alsoo, many very tired kids make for a loud and long ride back to yuor resort
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

We always rented a car and found it to be the way to go. There is nothing worse than a long day at the parks and coming out to a huge bus line. We only stay at the Beach Club now so a rental really isn't needed thanks to the location but definitely go with a car.

IMHO each minute/hour is precious on a WDW vacation so the less amount of time you spend waiting around the better. Taking your own vehicle to the parks allows you to maximize the time you have.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for driving yourself.
    I like being able to come and go as I please.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Drive, drive, drive. I couldn't imagine waiting for a bus with 2 hot, cranky kids after a long day in the parks. I can't tell you how many times we've gotten our kids into their car seats and they are asleep before we make it back to the hotel. I don't think this would happen on a bus. It makes for a nice break. It's also nice to have some control over where you're going when. A lot less planning is involved.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is to use the Disney transport when you can.

I used to drive, I love to drive, but really, here's the issue. You don't know where you're going. Neither does many of the other people out there, which makes for some trying times on the roads. It not anyone's fault really, it's just the nature of the beast.

Everyone else has valid points, lately the transport has been a little iffy, BUT, they do run the busses, they know where they are going and I very rarely see the busses involved in an accident.

That's just my opinion, but I have saved a ton of money not renting a car lately and I really don't have much desire to go back to driving on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well..

My vote is for WDW transportation. It is so nice to put the keys away and not see your car until it is time to leave! We have never really experienced major problems with the busses, so that is why I sway towards WDW transportation. Of course, I have never been in June, July or August, so I can't really speak for those times!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

All great points of view. At least I now feel comfortable just trying it out...maybe letting it depend on time of day, where we are going...
    Good input though, I am a bit of a control freak so we will probably drive
    Thanks again so much! What a GREAT site!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alilprincessmom99 View Post
    Of course, I have never been in June, July or August, so I can't really speak for those times!
    I've never had a problem for the July 4th holiday. That's our vacation week.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the buses!

Something about being completely taken care of adds to the Disney magic for me. Once I step in a car (especially my car), it seems a bit like I'm back in the real world.

Sure, you have to wait for the buses. For us, the waits only until the next bus arrives. It's only at the end of the night that I sometimes have to wait for a second bus to arrive.

And yes, they can be crowded. A nice side benefit of a crowded bus is it's a good opportunity to chat with your fellow park goers.

Even with these factors, I figure it's a small price to pay to gain a bit more Disney magic!
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We've always used the Disney transportation system and been very big proponents of it, but based on discussions with friends who've been there recently, and talk on this board, we're going to try renting a car this year. Given the money we're saving with the promotion they're running in January, we thought it would be the time to try it.
    Caribbean Beach - Jan 2008
    Off property - 2004
    Disneyland's Grand Californian - 2003
    Disney Wonder Cruise June 2002
    Boardwalk Inn, June 2002
    Disneyland Hotel - 1999
    All Star Sports - 1998
    All Star Music - 1996
    All Star Sports - 1995
    Dixie Landings - 1994
    Contemporary - 1980's

Share This Thread On Social Media: