Quantcast Space Mountain/Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurb Start Date & Tentative End Dates - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Dunno if I would be disappointed.. Depends on what they actually do... What I read was of course speculation.. Best thing to do is wait until Disney releases what they have planned...
    Have you ridden the new Space Mt. at Disneyland (or even in Hong Kong)? Having done so, I'll definitely be disappointed if WDW doesn't get the same treatment. FAR superior rides!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks promising since the rehab looks to be a long one.

I too am more upset that TTA is going to be closed. I really enjoy a rest and ride on that and was hoping for a peak at SM, lol.

Oh well, I can take these rehabs, they are much needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I also hope that WDW gets more than just a basic refurbishment. The Disneyland version is so much nicer, and the new rocket ships are so much more comfortable to ride in.
    I just hope that they don’t change the star tunnel. I love that queue.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh i'm more sad about TTA being down while we are there...
    ~*Crystal*~

May 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    M
    ay 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    May 2008 - Royal Pacific Resort at UO
    Sept 2008 - Hard Rock Hotel at UO
    May 2009 - All Star Music

Coming Up: May 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Same here ... I'm definitely going to miss the TTA!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the list for missing TTA the most. SM I can take or leave (the DL version is so much better). But TTA was so relaxing!

Post Thanks / Like

I love SM it was my first Coaster and will miss it on my next trip but honestly add me to the list of people who will miss the TTA more since I love to relax and take a ride through Tomorrowland to refresh myself during the day or when I feel myself fading at night.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I also hope they do a good refurb. I'm about 6'5" and rode it for the first time in about 5 years during our trip last week. My legs don't fit all the way under the bar and about 1/3 of the way in I knew I made a mistake. The bar kept pounding into my thighs, so I hope this is corrected. And before anyone assumes anything else, I weigh only 205 so for my size I'm not heavy. I just don't fit and would love to ride it without having pain. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    Well it looks promising since the rehab looks to be a long one.
    Not to burst your bubble, but the DL rehab took nearly 2 YEARS. There is NO WAY they can rebhab the WDW Space Mtn. anywhere near as well as they redid DL's in such a short time period. They can't even do a complete track replacement in under 9 months...they could maybe add new cars with onboard audio...maybe.

I am hoping the original rumor has a typo and they meant that Space will reopen in late 2010. THAT would make a GOOD refurbishment possible.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'm almost positive this is just a pretty standard safety rehab. Maybe some minor track replacement, potentially some special effects enhancements (read that to mean "replacing the 1970's era flashing lights with 2000's era flashing lights"), and then just a basic cleaning/re-painting/polishing, etc.

In only 8 months I can't see them accomplishing anything significant.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm almost positive this is just a pretty standard safety rehab. Maybe some minor track replacement, potentially some special effects enhancements (read that to mean "replacing the 1970's era flashing lights with 2000's era flashing lights"), and then just a basic cleaning/re-painting/polishing, etc.

In only 8 months I can't see them accomplishing anything significant.
    Well that stinks, if we're going to miss it on our trip I'd rather have it for a big rehab

Post Thanks / Like

TTA is closed simply because Space Mountain is being worked on? Can Imagineering not come up with a way to block the windows in some way that keeps their secrets? As if we ride TTA just to peek into Space Mountain...

I hope there is a better reason for closing it than that.

Post Thanks / Like

In one word Safety
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

I also found this information regarding the extent of the SM refurb (from the Orlando Sentinel):

"The construction work will include installing new track inside the enclosed coaster, which carries guests in the dark through a series of sudden drops and sharp turns. The layout of the track will remain the same, however.

Other upgrades will include a new enclosure for the ride's queuing area and a new ceiling inside its signature, white dome, Finger said.

Finger said the renovations are the first substantial work on the ride since September 1999. The project follows a series of other makeovers Disney has made in recent years to some of its oldest attractions, including the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean in the Magic Kingdom and Spaceship Earth in Epcot.

Disney fans have been swapping rumors for more than a year that the company was planning a sweeping overhaul of Space Mountain. In 2005, the Walt Disney Co. completed an extensive, two-year makeover of the Space Mountain at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

But the changes to Orlando's version of the ride -- it's the original Space Mountain, having opened Jan. 15, 1975 -- are likely to be more modest.

"We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain a right of passage at the Magic Kingdom that's been enjoyed by generations," Finger said."
    Sep 12 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 11 - Polynesian
    Sep 09 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 09 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    Sep 08 - Wilderness Lodge
    Sep 06 - Boardwalk Villas
    Sep 05 - Polynesian
    Sep 03 - Polynesian
    Sep 01 - Wilderness Lodge
    May 03 - Fort Wilderness
    March 85 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I may be flamed for saying this, but the idea that they are leaving many elements of the ride the same really pleases me. I know that the DL Space Mountain is wonderful and all, but if i want rock music blaring while on a super-slick high thrill ride, there's another option just a park away....
    I like DW's somewhat cheesy rendition of "space- 1970's style," and was disheartened to think it was going away forever....

Just my opinion...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

You won't get flamed by me......at least not on that. I'm in complete agreement. The fewer REAL changes to the current Space Mountain in WDW, the better. I love the queue music (entering and exiting) and the dark twist and turns of the queue in entering the building, and even the ride itself......the twists, turns, and sudden dips. The only thing I'm glad about is that on a refurb a few years back they finally removed all those stupid TV screens with the Mario Lopez stuff in it.
    Sep 12 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 11 - Polynesian
    Sep 09 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 09 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    Sep 08 - Wilderness Lodge
    Sep 06 - Boardwalk Villas
    Sep 05 - Polynesian
    Sep 03 - Polynesian
    Sep 01 - Wilderness Lodge
    May 03 - Fort Wilderness
    March 85 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    I may be flamed for saying this, but the idea that they are leaving many elements of the ride the same really pleases me. I know that the DL Space Mountain is wonderful and all, but if i want rock music blaring while on a super-slick high thrill ride, there's another option just a park away....
    I like DW's somewhat cheesy rendition of "space- 1970's style," and was disheartened to think it was going away forever....

Just my opinion...
    Have you ridden the Disneyland version?

It's not a thing like Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and it still very much incorporates "cheesy space 70s style". The music isn't rock music at all. I'm sure you can find the soundtrack somewhere on the net.

Like I always say, I'm not great with details, but the Disneyland version is just a well updated version of the ride we all know and love. I say good riddance to a rickety, jerky ride, and I'll take a smooth trip through space anyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOJoe View Post
    If Space is getting a refurb, Disney won't want us getting a peek while riding along the TTA, right?
    I can hear it already, "Now Approaching Space Mountain! ....Pay No Attention To The Men Behind The Curtains!"
    *CHOKE* *laughs* Oh yeah! I can hear it! In that same booming, almost echo-y voice!

But in all seriousness, I'm glad that I'll get to ride it before it goes down for a long time. I'm going to kinda miss standing in line staring at the ceiling. I know it sounds silly, but I love watching the "traffic". Seeing the huge meteors ply through the skies. But I'm weird that way. ^_^
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I admit that I've previously been against WDW getting the DL overhaul but I just recently changed my mind. I watched a great youtube video of Disneyland's version that includes film of the outside, the queue, the actual ride (it's all dark but you hear the soundtrack) and the exit. It all seemed OK, but the exit is what sold me as it still has the classic SM soundtrack, which is what I adore. I did not know that, and that was the main thing I didn't want to lose. So even though it looks like WDW ISN'T doing this... if they did, I would welcome it as long as they kept the original soundtrack in tact for some portion of the attraction
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope it's a complete overhaul like the DIsneyland version, but it sure doesn't sound like it if it's only for a few months...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: