Quantcast Are Some WDW Visitors Just Plain FOOLS? - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Default politically incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Folks, I know some sort of political correctness says everyone is entitled to their opinion etc. etc. etc. but

On our last and previous trips to WDW we have struck up bus conversations with more than one family, bright shiny faces, happy excited children... how long are you here for?... a week ... 2 days left... then...

Have you been to EPCOT? No! Yuck! It's educational isn't it. I didn't take my kids outa school a week to go there myself! And isn't part of it foreign? That has no appeal to me at all.

and/or

Are you going to the Animal Kingdom? No! it's just some sort of zoo or something isn't it? Smelly animals. We've been to the zoo back home.

I gotta tell you, I like Dumbo and Corn Dogs as much as anybody but I always find unique and entertaining things for all ages and interests when I take family and friends to any of the Disney Parks.

Can a person who hasn't walked through the gate at EPCOT or AK or DHS know they won't like it? Is that an opinion or a guess?

Sometimes we feel tempted to reply with words like Natazu and Nemo and Soarin' and Dinosaur and Everest and Mulan and Belle but usually we just wait out the rest of the bus ride.

I guess these people go home and tell their friends WDW is a nice place but there's not enough to do there to stay a whole week...
    I perfer they stay away from AK and Epcot to
    keep them for myself.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LVT View Post
    I perfer they stay away from AK and Epcot to
    keep them for myself.

AMEN!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess a lot of times it comes down to people's expectations of a vacation.

I have a friend who took her family/kids down for the first time last year, and I helped her a lot with information on the different parks, rides, etc.

While she enjoyed watching her girls interact with the characters and liked the rides, she felt she wouldn't go back b/c it just wasn't relaxing for her. A beach, some sun & sand, not moving in the sun for 8 hours? That is relaxing to her. (Something I enjoy, as well, but wouldn't find relaxing after the first 4 hours... then I wanna DO something... )

They skipped a lot of things I thought they and their girls would enjoy -- AK was "just animals" and Epcot was just "learning about countries they didn't care about" -- yet when she looked at my pictures from the same places, she was like, "Where is that? Oh, I might've done that!"

So, preconceived notions based on what they've heard from the uneducated (okay, and unbiased, unDisneycrazed... ) masses definitely affect what they expect and plan to do, and if you're idea of fun isn't what Disney offers, you'll be sorely disappointed and bored outside of (and maybe even within) MK.

Sad, but like Ian said, shorter waits for us if those folks never go, or never return...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to WDW and hit 2 parks, then you're a fool. You might as well go to Disneyland Resort. DL has more rides than MK, and CalAdv has plenty of fun rides. But without Epcot and AK, it's not nearly as fun of a trip. With four parks, you can really escape reality...which is why I go to WDW (3000 miles away) vs DL (300 miles away).
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine all the great things I may miss out on in life if I didn't do things because I think I may not like it.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

The first time we went to WDW we didn't fully enjoy the World Showcase at Epcot because we really didn't know what it was about. We walked around the countries and went in some of the shops but didn't go into the main buildings of the countries and decided it was too long a walk around and not enough to do. Same with AK and it was very hot with no place to sit down and rest out of the heat. But after I bought a book on WDW and started reading all the ins and outs of the parks, I got excited and we decided we would explore more the next trip. That was the beginning of our obsession. I didn't figure that DH would want to watch the DVD but when I started watching he became very interested in it all. So everytime we have gone since, we try to do something different that we have never done and we get very excited about going again every year. I could go every month and not get bored but DH says once a year is enough. If he could fish down there every time (too expensive) he would go every time I wanted to go. Maybe the answer is to hand a book and the DVD to those who are clueless and think there isn't anything to do down there and watch them change their minds if they don't want to listen to our advice about it.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely to each his own!

But, I do have to say that everytime I hear someone describe AK as just a zoo, all I can think is - "I wanna go to your zoo!!" I've been to big city zoos and little itty bitty zoos. And while I love them all, I have never seen one that even comes close to what AK is.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the correct terminology is ignorance. They just don't know any better. Fools know better and do not act on their knowledge. Of course it seems to be foolish not to take advantage of the resources available to them but if they view the WDW in 2009 like the WDW of 1973...they will be lost and confused and will waste a good deal of their money!

I agree with the pp who said...shorter lines for us!

DH and I have been WDW visitors since the 70's (separately since we were both kids). He never wanted to go to Epcot so it took me years to talk him into it. Now it is one of his favorite parks.

He still doesn't care of AK but he did try it. I need to change his mind about going to see shows...he hates that for some reason...and I love them...who better to put on a fabulous stage production than Disney?!
    Although I have seen quite a few...it typically take the twisting of an arm to accomplish it!
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. As someone who only gets to go to WDW once every few years, I agree that things are better when you have a plan. The last time I went with my family in September 07, I had gone to Barnes and Nobles and bought a WDW guide a couple of weeks before departure day, so I was familiar with all the parks and knew all about Fastpasses, which restaurants to eat at, which rides to go on, which shows and parades to see, and how to get from the resort to the parks. Even though I only had 4 days to tour the parks, I got to go on all the rides I wanted and all the shows I had planned to see because I did my research ahead of time

Post Thanks / Like

1) Let's look at it another way.
    2) Before Disney, I knew
    . . . Cedar Point
    . . . Toledo Zoo and Cleveland Zoo
    . . . Ringling Brothers
    3) But never guessed what I would see at Magic Kingdom.
    4) And this was BEFORE Epcot was invented.
    5) I was also surprised by Epcot when it finally opened.
    6) Boy, was mind blown! (Still is!)
    7) These people are probably in the same position.
    8) One day, they will have their opinions changed.

NOTE: It was unfortunate that we visited Magic Kingdom, then Epcot when it opened, and was blown away both times. I got a little disappointed at MGM and AK necause they were not as well thought out or planned as MK or Epcot.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

We (I, DW, DS#1, and DD's # 1 & 2) on our first trip to DL in 71, were lost, bewildered, and confused......but by noontime, I had picked up a park map and daily schedule....So over lunch, I planned the rest of the day......And do at least some research for every trip to WDW.....DW laughs at my obsession with planning, but depends on my knowledge of the parks and WDW every day on our trips.

On almost every trip, I have had the chance to share my park maps and times guides with people who looked lost.....bewildered, but not frustrated... Or when I hear them talk about the long line at Splash, and whether they should just wait, I ask if they know about fast passes....
    I never leave our resort without Park Maps and Times Guides for my destination park(s)....and often share them on the bus or monorail.......From time to time, I see the same families later in the trip, and had them thank me for how much my tips helped their trip. And, yes, I have met families who didn't realize that there were 4 parks (How do they miss that?), or don't know that you can ride the Monorail even if you aren't a WDW Resort guest, or that there are Character Meals at the resorts.....And I share my opinions of what to do, and when to do it....
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad for them thats more room in the parks for us!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

The worst is when people ask you, "why do you keep going back, don't you want to go to the beach or see the world". I then proceed to tell them, I can do that right at WDW!!!!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

We always stay for 9 nights - that way we have 2 days at each park - one full day each and then highlights as we see fit. I could stay there for 3 days in each park if we could. I get the whole - Disney - why it is just a theme park....other people are so wrong.
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and her family don't usually go to Epcot. She's one of the "too educational" ones. I love Epcot. And I cannot imagine someone not wanting to go to AK. Especially if you have kids.

I love everything about Disney and hate to miss anything while there.
    November 2018 - Coronado Springs/Pop Century
    October 2017 - Disneyland
    March 2017 - All Star Sports & Boardwalk
    October 2015 - AKL Kidani
    March/April 2014 - Pop Century Resort
    Nov/Dec 2005 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    Nov/Dec 2004 - Pop Century Resort
    February 2003 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We love all the parks! Like people, they each have a different personality.

That being said ~ AK is alot nicer if you like animals; Epcot is far more enjoyable if you love to wander, snoop and EAT !

When I give trip recommendations or tour with newbies ~ we describe Epcot as a great place to "investigate". Take the time to wander and observe, or avoid, your choice.

Quick cute story ~ when we went with my cousin and her REALLY ride oriented kids, she had told me that they were going to pass on Epcot because it looked 'boring' to the kids. Like any true WDW addict, I made them go and see it the way we tend to "do" Epcot! After they got back home, she was shocked to hear from her kids how much the enjoyed Epcot, had a blast and it had been their favorite of all the parks! Go figure!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you as well. But, I will say that ANimal Kingdom, for example is not one of my most favorite parts of my WDW vacation. However, we go every time we come to the world because you never know what you might see. I think that goes for every park. We have our favorite spots and we visit them more frequently. But every park is a must see. ANyway, even though we are all entitled to an opinion, it doesn't mean you have to try and bring someone down while you are expressing it:-) MAybe try chatting with your own party--sometimes that is a better conversation. The bus driver is also a good choice. We always find out cool things from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I love Epcot, I can't imagine missing it! And it has some of the best rides, even if someone isn't into the "educational" aspect of it. I love Test Track and Soarin'. HISTA, UoE, their are so many wonderful things there!

Everytime I go to WDW, I go for 5 days/4 nights (with the exception of my honeymoon which was 10 days), so you know with that shorter amount of time, I can't do everything. And it's always so hard picking what to do because I love all the parks so much for different reasons.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Little story.....my sister and her family were with us in December for our trip....we decide to go on Living with the Land ride.....when it was over I whispered to my then 3 yr old niece if she liked it or not and she SCREAMED, "I LOVE IT LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!".....My sister plainly said, and I quote, "gee, that was educational"

The kids loved it, my sister hated it....I think it's great that the kids loved it! Why did they miss school......well, I spin Disney as an educational field trip to my DS#1's principal(s). His kindergarten year it was just signed and no homework assigned to him; this past year they got a new principal and I spoke to him personally about how he felt about my take on this being an educational field trip....he absolutely 100% supported the idea -- we talked about the animals and conservation at AK; all the different cultures in WS in Epcot as well as FW and use of your imagination and where that could take you. MK he did say was just for fun, but you have to have some of that he said....and MGM he was was a history lesson regarding movies.

So for us it's fun learning -- my son does not even realize half the time that he IS learning something while he is having fun and using his imagination! When we got back in December he had to give a little presentation to his class on what he did and the principal attended his "talk" and said he was quite impressed with how much we do while we're there and the ground we cover!

I'm glad we have a principal and teachers that are onboard with this idea.....I try to schedule our trips when DS will miss the least amount of school, like when they have breaks or inservice days, etc......so we don't miss a full week, usually 3-4 days max

So to answer OP's question if people are fools.....I think to each his own opinion. Everyone wears different strengths of glasses and sees different things.
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Look at it this way ... less people in line in front of us!
    That's the spirit!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: