Quantcast Say goodbye to the entertainment at the Poly - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
    As of December 14th the Tambu Lounge will no longer have a musician

When these things start to go away the resorts lose their personality.
    I had no idea they had a musician. I know the torch lighting ceremony was entertaining, but really how many people showed up for it each night? Not very many when i've seen it...I can understand their cutbacks.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flomerella View Post
    Has anyone been to the Poly recently to confirm? I was looking forward to the torch lighting ceremony after reading about it (can't remember where though)
    The torch lighting ceremony is alive and well. I took photos of the ceremony on Feb. 14, 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    The torch lighting ceremony is alive and well. I took photos of the ceremony on Feb. 14, 2009.
    So... the title of this thread is a misnomer.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's just say that the first post in the thread is outdated. They briefly did away with the torch lighting ceremony, but evidently it returned rather quickly.

I was there for the week of Feb. 7 - 14, 2009, and it was on the resort schedule for every day of our stay at 6:00 p.m. I never planned to be there to watch it, but we were hanging out early, waiting for our 6:45 p.m. Disney's Magical Express ride, and I saw people gathering a few minutes before 6. I grabbed the camera and the kids, and we saw the whole ceremony. I wish there was a way I could post pics here.

Post Thanks / Like

They're getting really shady, I'm telling you. They try and fool people with these celebrations and "deals" (get in free on your birthday ... BIG DEAL!), but all the while you're still paying more and more every year while they're giving you less and less.
    Don't get me started on this...
    I think the only people that really benefit from this promo is Florida residents anyway. Think about it... They live right there and can drive over and home.
    We would not pull my daughter our of school to drive (or fly) to Disney for her birthday or mine or anyone elses. Florida residents get a lot of perks... this was just one more added to them.

If Disney did this to try to get people like me over there to spend money they did it wrong. The people that will be taking advantage of this are not the ones that drop a bunch of money when they are there.

I will really miss the entertainment at the Poly. We always went early for our reservation at 'Ohana to have a drink or 2 and listen to the music before dinner. By taking this away it only makes me spend less money. Seems like Disney is kind of shooting themselves in the foot.

Where in the world do we go to make our voices really heard? I know writing to complain does nothing...
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    I think the only people that benefit from this promo [free park admission on your birthday] is Florida residents...
    That's why Disney makes the Gift Card option and Birthday Fast Pass options available. And besides, WDW needs to be kind to Florida residents! Despite what you may have heard, they are people too.

The people that will be taking advantage of this are not the ones that drop a bunch of money when they are there...
    People with birthdays... don't have much money???

I will really miss the entertainment at the Poly...
    It is fine to miss/long-for an act that is no longer performing and for which you have some fond memories. But there are always other things to see, do, listen-to, watch, explore... For example, I miss Elvis Presley playing at The International in Las Vegas; however, when I go to Las Vegas these days, I still find myself being entertained.

By taking this away it only makes me spend less money...
    Medical experts say that it is unhealthy to hold grudges.

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    That's why Disney makes the Gift Card option and Birthday Fast Pass options available. And besides, WDW needs to be kind to Florida residents! Despite what you may have heard, they are people too.

People with birthdays... don't have much money???

It is fine to miss/long-for an act that is no longer performing and for which you have some fond memories. But there are always other things to see, do, listen-to, watch, explore... For example, I miss Elvis Presley playing at The International in Las Vegas; however, when I go to Las Vegas these days, I still find myself being entertained.

Medical experts say that it is unhealthy to hold grudges.
    Here, here!

I totally agree that quite a few people here are getting a little too tied up in knots over some of these kinds of things.

They're not using the economy as an excuse. It's the reason why all the constant cutbacks have been occurring. Our economy has been pretty much in the toilet for quite a few years already, even since 9/11, when you really think about it.

I agree that hearing about cutbacks, lay-offs, etc. is painful, but sometimes, it does have to happen if a multi-million-dollar corporation is to survive over the long term.

So, to ask for too much from Disney (ie: encouraging extremely reckless spending) would be a very bad idea, especially during these terrible times.

The quality service is not gone. The cleanliness is not gone. The value is not gone. The friendliness is not gone. And the magic is most certainly not gone.

In conclusion, I think that it's a better idea to remain optimistic and keep in mind that even though it will take time, things WILL get better. And WDW will always be a great place to visit, even when times are tough. It will endure and live on, even if some things change.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, DisneyNut2005--I think you summed up my feelings about it pretty well. The last time I was at Disney was 1.5 years ago (working on going next summer!!!), but that was the trip where I received the *best* Disney service.

(Just wish CMs would get people off the grass at the MK come time for the fireworks, but that's another rant ^^
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Well this may be OT but speaking of Disney cutting back and CM's being laid off, etc., they just announced this week that Disney would be here somewhere in the state (forgot exactly where, Montgomery?) to interview for jobs for anyone interested in working at WDW. I think they mentioned janitorial jobs, greeters, and other jobs but didn't hear them say CM's (they may just not have known to call them this). But if they are laying off people, why would they be doing job fairs around the country to hire more?
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: