Quantcast T-Rex Opens Today in DTD

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation T-Rex Opens Today in DTD

Disney's new dinosaur-themed restaurant opens today

Scott Powers
    Sentinel Staff Writer

October 14, 2008

T-Rex is the kind of restaurant where parents might encourage their children to go dig in the dirt before dinner.

"It's nice dirt. It's clean dirt," said Keith Beitler, Landry's Restaurants' senior vice president and chief operating officer for specialty restaurants. "It's Disney dirt."

T-Rex is a big, brash dinosaur-themed restaurant that opens today at Downtown Disney with seating for more than 620, a couple of dozen life-size robotic dinosaurs and real fossils encased in the bathroom walls. Dishes include mushroom ravioli simmering in lobster cream sauce, with Roma tomatoes and fresh spinach.

Collaborators Landry's Restaurants, Schussler Creative and Walt Disney Imagineering, the team that brought Rainforest Cafe to Walt Disney World, aimed at going way beyond that themed restaurant, to create a more interactive mix of décor, show, dining and educational flourishes that Beitler called "eattainment."

Beginning with a children's fossil-dig pit -- where an entire set of replica T-Rex bones is buried -- the restaurant combines activities, prehistoric-themed shows of light, sound and robotic creatures, and American cuisine.

"When you build the Rainforest Cafe, and we did 45 in seven years, and you do Yak & Yeti, the expectations are pretty high," said Steven Schussler, whose company developed the T-Rex concept, just as it did concepts for Landry's Rainforest Cafe chain and Disney's Yak & Yeti restaurant. "People want to know: How do you outdo yourself? How do you make it even better? We tried -- we really tried -- to go over the top."

Expectations are indeed high. The Disney T-Rex occupies a front-and-center spot at Downtown Disney, and is Disney's first big new development in its plans for a new, more family-oriented dining, shopping and entertainment area. Just last month, Disney closed six Pleasure Island nightclubs, and their more-family-oriented replacements will be up to two years away, increasing an already-apparent deficit of dining space.

"T-Rex adds some of the needed seat capacity that we are so lacking down here at this point," said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry. "Plus it's unique . . . highly differentiated, interactive for kids, and it fills an almost attractionlike concept as well as a dining concept."

With T-Rex, open for lunch and dinner, and with prospects for breakfast parties, Beitler hopes it can serve 2,500 to 3,000 diners a day -- as many as 1 million per year.

Landry's, which operates 31 restaurant concepts including Landry's Seafood House, and The Chart House, adapted much of the menu from its other properties, tweaking them for prehistoric flair, Beitler said. Entrées include salads, soups, meat dishes such as the Mega Mes-O-Bones ribs, pastas, seafood and sandwiches. They run from $11.99 (for an 8-ounce Bronto Burger) to $29.99 (Triceratop filet.)

"We took everything we had, and put it around the theme of the restaurant," Beitler said. "We also understand that we are feeding middle America, and we're feeding overseas. We've got to do who we are. We've got to do American cuisine, with a prehistoric flair."

There's also a full-service bar (the Shark Bar) featuring $9.99 T-Rita Cotton Tinis, and a large gift shop that features a Build-A-Dino enterprise created by Build-A-Bear Workshop, where people can put together custom-made plush toys, starting at $15.

Schussler said the restaurant was designed so that first impressions would be "wow!" The outside decor features an exact life-size replica of a 140-foot long Argentinosaurus.

Inside the front door, visitors find a panorama of the Shark Bar with its glowing glass bar, 5,000-gallon shark tank and giant, robotic octopus; a life-size, robotic, tyrannosaurus rex; themed dining areas such as the Geo-Tech Room with its flaming walls; and Ice Cave with its glowing walls.

"Obviously, people come for the 'wow' factor, but they'll come back for quality food and service that Landry's provides," Schussler said. "Without that they wouldn't be coming back."

Downtown Disney's new restaurant appeals to the 'wow' factor

600 Employees
    30,000 Square feet in size
    620 Seats
    $11.95 to $29.95 Entrée prices
    $9.99 Cotton-candy "Cotton-Tini" cocktail
    7,000 Gallons of aquariums
    140 Species of fish
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow now I really can't wait to try this on oct. 31st.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

We plan on surprising DS#1 in December when we go......AND it's right near the Lego store too......he is going to just go nuts.....lego store and dinos all in the same spot!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Ed!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We walked by there last week on our trip and the place looked really awesome from the outside. Can't wait to try it on our next trip!!

Crystal

March 97: off property
    April 00: All Star Sports
    May 02: CB
    Nov 02: Port Orleans Riverside
    March 04: Pop Century
    July 05: POR
    Dec 05: POR
    July 06: POR
    Became DVC members
    March 07: Disney Cruise
    Oct 07, Oct 08: Saratoga Springs

Next trip Christmas 2009

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a lot of fun! Really excited about trying it sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to try it in Nov. I will keep you posted when i get back if its a yes or no! I am sure it will be a YES!
    71-78 Fort Wilderness
    78-07 Various resorts
    Nov 08 Pop Century
    Oct 30-Nov 8-Pop Century(
    28-March6th Port Orleans reschudled trip!
    Oct. 23rd-Oct. 30th POP CENTURY
    May 4-11 2014 Pop Century
    1 in 50 Children will be diagnosed with Autism and I am proud to say one of them is mine!

Post Thanks / Like

Will be down there on 10/22 and plan on trying it out. I'm sure my two boys will love it (me too), but I'll keep everyone posted.
    Future Trips 11/15 BLT, 2/16 AKV,Poly/DCL, 4/16 AKV/DCL, 7/16 OKW

AP Holder
    DVC - OKW, AKV, HHI, BLT & VGF

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of questions...

Can you make ressies via disney dining or do you have to go through T-Rex cafe?

Also, do they take DDE or Dining plan?

I am contemplating it for our Thanksgiving trip...
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they are taking any adr's until january 2009. I think it is a walk up only.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - I just called and was told that - thanks!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

This is on our "must do" list when we go in a few weeks. I was looking at indoor and outdoor pictures of this place, and it just looks amazing!!!! I am really glad that you can walk up until 2009...this way we will have no problems getting seated.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what is out there so far about this restaurant do you feel this would be appropriate for my wife and I and our three children who are a 23 year old daughter, 20 year old son, and 12 year old son?

Also, someone mentioned seeing photos on line for the restaurant. Can you share the address of those photos with me/us? If it is against the TOS then please don't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be there in early Dec. DS is LOVES dinos.
    Life is always better when you mix in a little MOUSE
    1981 1986 1990 2000 2003 off site
    1994 1998 All Star Music,
    2002 All Star Movies,
    2004 2005x2 2012 2013 2019 POR
    2007 2012 2014 2016 2019 Pop
    2008 ASMu Suites
    2014 2017 CBR
    2015 AoA Cars
    2017 AKLx2
    2018 Grand Canyon

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Based on what is out there so far about this restaurant do you feel this would be appropriate for my wife and I and our three children who are a 23 year old daughter, 20 year old son, and 12 year old son?

Also, someone mentioned seeing photos on line for the restaurant. Can you share the address of those photos with me/us? If it is against the TOS then please don't do it.
    The concept is similar to Rainforest Cafe, so if you'd be comfortable there, T-Rex should be about the same.

Here's a link to the pictures that were in the Orlando Sentinel.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella16 View Post
    This is on our "must do" list when we go in a few weeks. I was looking at indoor and outdoor pictures of this place, and it just looks amazing!!!! I am really glad that you can walk up until 2009...this way we will have no problems getting seated.
    WOW TINKERBELLA16 we must be on the same page about things! haha We are going too during our trip! (do you have that suitcase loaded yet)? haha Maybe we will see you there!
    71-78 Fort Wilderness
    78-07 Various resorts
    Nov 08 Pop Century
    Oct 30-Nov 8-Pop Century(
    28-March6th Port Orleans reschudled trip!
    Oct. 23rd-Oct. 30th POP CENTURY
    May 4-11 2014 Pop Century
    1 in 50 Children will be diagnosed with Autism and I am proud to say one of them is mine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snuggs30 View Post
    WOW TINKERBELLA16 we must be on the same page about things! haha We are going too during our trip! (do you have that suitcase loaded yet)? haha Maybe we will see you there!

LOL!!! The suitcase is opened with just a couple of things inside!!! I am getting so anxious to leave! We just got all of our travel documents and DME packet in the mail yesterday...I was jumping up and down! Maybe we'll see ya at T-Rex... it'll just be my mother and I going, so if ya see 2 italian girls that look like sisters...say hi!!!!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is their website with menu:
    http://www.trexcafe.com/
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

We're hoping to get in there on our arrival night (next Friday, 10/24) as a surprise for the boys. I'm glad they're opened
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see it. DH and I are planning to go there for lunch on our arrival day. Dinner that night at Artist Pointe. YUM, YUM!!!

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5 @ the POP
    ( 5 weeks to go and counting, 40 days to be exact )

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: