Quantcast Say Goodbye to Super Soap Weekends - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Lucas has extended his greed well beyond the quality of the first movies- But the event that is done at DHS is very special- They really do a good job making it unique.

And while i am a fan, the level of fan i am doesnt compare to the extent of the fanbase for starwars- I am shocked to see the amount of hardcore fans. I am a lightweight compared to others.
    its really more than a cult following.

yes it does crowd the park those weekends, but I thouroughly enjoy it regardless.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Good Riddance to park clutter....in my opinion....
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

let's face it. Star Wars was an iconic American thing until about 1998....
    Star Wars really still is iconically American
    then they released 3 terrible movies....completely without heart or any feeling because they were created almost entirely inside a microprocessor....
    but the madness didn't end......cartoons on a generally uniteresting period of the genre....then this cartoon movie that bombed like a B-2....

and now we get more of the merchandise slinging dribble in a new cartoon series this week....

Lucas took something great and busted it down to a laughing stock....

just my two cents
    Somewhat overstated, but I don't totally disagree. What that doesn't change, is the three classic movies Lucas made in the first place. They are still classics.
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat overstated, but I don't totally disagree. What that doesn't change, is the three classic movies Lucas made in the first place. They are still classics.
    And if you have kids that have been into the franchise since they were toddlers, Star Wars still holds an incredible fascination for many of them. Geez, DS was potty-trained (bribed) with SW action figures when he was 3. Now he is almost 11, and still watches the movies a ton, collects (and plays with) the figures & lego ships, and is into the different series of books you can find in the library that are still being written (several series, in fact). His room is almost entirely decorated in things he's collected over the years - and much of it has come from Star Wars Weekends, bought with his own money!

While I can understand why Super Soap Weekends may be marketed in a different manner in the future, I know so many who adventure to Star Wars Weekends for some good intergalactic family fun in tandem with Disney attractions. It's not just another Star Wars convention - and I will be sad to see it go.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as how there is an actual Star Wars ride at Disney(no Soap ride), I think George and Disney are too intertwined to just blow off SWW. Especially if they are working on a new Star Tours version. SWW would be the best time to launch and yuck it up. The imaginations SW fans have fit right along with the Disney universe to do more than just get autographs and go.

And $1,000,000 for merch alone, is not chump change to any company for that short burst of time. With admission, refreshments etc. you are looking at probly a couple million increase for the SW weekends at minimum. Yes George gets his share, but there is plenty of gravy for Dis too. And why argue with a cast member anyway??
    May your lines be short; the magic be plenty; and may you always remember to gather your belongings before exiting your vacation.

And many others ongoing....
    Poly/AKL Dec '09
    CSR: Dec '02
    WL: Dec '01
    WL: Oct '00
    BW: Oct '99
    Offsite(blech): '93

Post Thanks / Like

. . . let's face it. Star Wars was an iconic American thing until about 1998 . . . then they released 3 terrible movies . . . completely without heart or any feeling because they were created almost entirely inside a microprocessor . . .
    Off Topic:
    1) I agree.
    2) The original Star Wars was like an old movie serial.
    3) The good guys were good guys, the bad guys were bad.
    4) The following three sequels are good science fiction.
    5) But, to me, they were not Star Wars. *
    6) Just too much computerization and not enough story.

* I am a HUGE Star Trek and Star Wars fan. I have two of the Tribbles used on the TV show. I have one of the seven Luke Skywalker light sabers used in the movie. However, I did not buy any of the last three Star Wars dvd's.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finiamh View Post
    Seeing as how there is an actual Star Wars ride at Disney(no Soap ride)

A soap ride...now that would be interesting!!

I agree though. Soaps are a tough thing...either you are a fan or you're not. I enjoy a couple myself, but I am more of a CBS gal.

SWW can be such a generational thing...something my parents can share with their grandkids now. I can't see my mother taking the kids to Super Soap Weekend anytime soon!!!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    Off Topic:
    1) I agree.
    2) The original Star Wars was like an old movie serial.
    3) The good guys were good guys, the bad guys were bad.
    4) The following three sequels are good science fiction.
    5) But, to me, they were not Star Wars. *
    6) Just too much computerization and not enough story.

* I am a HUGE Star Trek and Star Wars fan. I have two of the Tribbles used on the TV show. I have one of the seven Luke Skywalker light sabers used in the movie. However, I did not buy any of the last three Star Wars dvd's.
    That idiot Rick McCallum was quoted as to responding to a too much CGI criticism this way: "In order to create the rich, fantastic Worlds and deep characters for EI,II, and III....the use of cutting edge effects and technologies were essential"

Really, genius? because all you did was film a stupid looking cartoon with Ewan McGreggor and Samuel L Jackson stuck into it.....

and it looked cheap....silly....and as much as Lucas says that "popcorn" effect was intentional....it just looks like a guy who lost track of what a movie should look like.

Parts of Indy 4...sadly....looked a little that way too

There is a balance between people and computers....stunts and video game sequences....that others have managed to get right....

Lord of the Rings....heavy in CG....still somehow managed to preserve a live action feel.....

Pirates of the Caribbean and the first 2 X-men movies did so as well.....

And Lucas should be court ordered to sit in a theater and watch the Dark Knight over and over again until he starts to get it.....

as far as Star Trek....the mishandling of what had become a great drama/sci fi series in the 1990's was absolutely ridiculous....hopefully they can regain some dignity with their new film as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    Disney's Super Soap Weekend won't be back after this year

Scott Powers
    Sentinel Staff Writer

September 30, 2008

Who's killing ABC Super Soap Weekend at Disney's Hollywood Studios?
    Susan Lucci, aka Erica Kane, didn't want to be seen with her grandchildren at WDW. meow

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe next year they will have the Hanna Montana/Jonas Brothers weekend in Nov.

Or ...the super soap star wars weekend
    "All My Ewoks"
    I would like to see Darth Vader get amnesia and work in a soup kitchen.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who has been around Intercot for a few years now, there is never a lack of people who will show up for a "X is being closed" type post with a "Glad it's gone!" type of reply.

I'm not sure what good it does, but they pile on anyway. Whether I ever found value in a particular event/attraction is hardly a good reason to belittle those who may have enjoyed it. I just hope those who do this don't mind the favor being returned when something they like is canned.

Post Thanks / Like

A whole lotta people loved SSW. My mother used to take solo trips every single year just for that. She also met some great friends while there. And it did draw a lot of crowds...they wouldn't started with the whole fastpass thing for meeting the Soap Stars if it was crowded. I didn't like SSW after they started with the FP thing...it just wasn't the same as it used to be where you could just walk up to someone and get a pic and autograph and chat with them.

I would rather see SSW stay...for the fans that is. I could care less about Star Wars...was never into that stuff.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sad to see SSW go, although I will say some parts of it certainly could have been improved to ease the crowds a bit (i.e. concentrate on large capacity events like the talk shows in the theater and the parades). And I know from reading the soap boards that a lot of fans lament the loss of backlot with the houses, as that was where they used to do autograph sessions - it added a lot more space.

One new idea would be to do a Soap Star month at the Studios - each weekend have a few actors/actresses from each ABC soap take part in a parade and maybe an autograph-signing session or a concert. It would draw some soap-only fans but it might also draw general interest from regular visitors who might stop by and see an actor or actress that catches their interest. And it would be a much smaller scale so it wouldn't interfere with the Studio's regular attractions.

My family planned a 4-night Veteran's Day weekend trip to Disney in 2002 and as my mom and I are both big ABC soap fans we were excited to find out it was also SSW weekend. While my dad relaxed at the hotel, my mom and I went to the Studios Saturday and Sunday morning - we never actually waited in line for autographs, we just walked around and took photos of the stars from afar, watched the parade, and waited about an hour for the "General Hospital" talk show. Then, we headed to the other parks for the rest of the day.

One thing that we liked the best is that we just so happened to stay at AKL and that just so happened to be where all the stars were staying. Through the whole weekend, we had a blast glimpsing the stars walking through the lobby, grabbing milk and juice at AKL's counter-service restaurant (can't remember the name), and having drinks in the lobby bar at night. It was so interesting because most of the hotel's other guests were not soap fans and therefore oblivious to their presence. It was a lot of fun! And I caught a few stars in the gift shop and got photos
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little sad about SSW--we've never been, but my mom always said she wanted to go someday, and I had thought about sending her when I finally got out of school and could afford to--guess that will never happen now.
    But while it might be better for Disney tourists, I think Brian Frons has made a poor decision. I think part of what made SSW so popular with the soap stars is that it was in Disney, so they could come down, bring their families, and have a nice weekend. I don't think he'll readily be able to convince those same stars to do what sounds like it would be a much longer commitment to less family-friendly places.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Farewell to Silly Soaps

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz16 View Post
    soap operas =
    I second that emotion .

Used to love them when I was 16, but then life interrupted - yeah!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Ssw

I guess I contributed to park clutter. The one year I went, we were packed like sardines. Not worth it. On the upside, I did meet Susan Lucci, Walt Willey who was very funny and terrific, and the new kid who is on Knight Rider Justin Brunig (he is very nice), Adian Turner and the kid who plays Johnathan from time to time. But after my first and last experience, I would never ever go back for that. Thorsten Kay and Sydney Penny both said "Hi" to me and the new kid who played Dell sat with me for a while chatted. It was fun, now I'm done.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: