Quantcast Just a question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Just a question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a question

We have two trips planned in two years. The first being in about 6 months is you round down. My question is this. We kind of want the second trip to be a surprise for our kids which we plan on taking the second week of December 2010. We have 5 kids, we are only taking the older ones with us on this first trip leaving the younger two with grandma. But when we go back in December 2010 the youngest will be 4, so my question is, what are some good ways you have broken the news to your kids about going to Disney. They only thing I have come up with thus far is just NOT to tell them till we pile into the van the morning that we leave.

Any suggestions?
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an answer... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Video tape waking them up the morning you leave. Get their expressions on tape whether they want to wake up and go to WDW or stay in bed and not go. I saw a video on YouTube and it was classic. The kids were all groggy and didn't want to get up. When the parents said they were getting up to go to WDW, I only saw streaks of the kids running out of the room.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

We did the surprise thing for my son when he was 4 for a trip in December. We told him he had to get up because we were going to Disney. He asked "when?" We said "right now". I never saw my son get up and dressed so fast in his life. It was also 4:30 in the morning and the poor little man had been sick. But he was sooo excited. He kept saying " I can't believe we are going to Disney". It was great!!!
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We surprised our son for his sixth birthday. We had been to Disney World a few times bit he didn't think we were going that year. We told him we were taking a trip with his daddy to pick up some studio equipment and the hotel would have a pool. He was excited about that. WDW is about a nine hour drive for us and luckily he fell asleep before we hit Orlando. We had the video camera rolling as we pulled into Pop Century. Priceless! Mind you though, he did remind us that we tricked him but he was glad we did! Have fun surprising your kids!!!
    Up Next...January 2009 - POR
    Happy Birthday to me!

December 2007 - POFQ
    October 2006 - Pop
    October 2005 - ASMu
    August 2004 - Offsite
    August 2003 - Offsite

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Post Thanks / Like

We did this on Christmas morning but you could do it whenever really...

We staged a treasure hunt. We gave our son a package that he opened and it had a clue in it for where to go next. Then he followed the clues all around the house ( in the fridge, in his sock drawer, in the backyard) until finally he ended up back at the Christmas tree where he found the treasure box. When he opened it there was a huge sign inside to unfold and on it we wrote:
    CONGRATULATIONS
    WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!!!

Needless to say...he flipped out. I think I had just as much fun watching him though!

Good Luck, have a great trip!!

3AMommy
    Making Memories With The Mouse!!!

6/98 = Dolphin (honeymoon)
    5/01 = All Star Movies
    2/02 = All Star Movies
    10/02 = All Star Movies
    9/08 = Pop Century
    12/10 = POR

Cast of Characters:
    Me =Tanya
    DH = Rick
    DS11 = Ashton
    DS7 = Aidan
    DD3 = Avery

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

:Personally, I think the anticipation is nearly as exciting as the trip. But I loved the "Get up, we're going to Disney NOW idea!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

See, I really want it to be a surprise but quite frankly I don't think I have a prayer of containing myself. I am going to burst even though we are already going in April...I am still excited about planning the next trip...

You know I used to care less about Disney World. Even after the first visit which was in June 2001 when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't get but since we started to plan this one I have gone insane with Disney-itis.
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I have a bit of a warped sense of humor, but I would have a little fun with it.

Make up some horrible trip that they have to take (stripping and repainting the house of a 90-year old great aunt that they've never met. Make the aunt live in Tampa or Jacksonville). Once you get almost to the fake destination, tell them you've changed your mind and are going to Disney World.
    Karen

--------------------------------

Stressed is desserts spelled backwards.

Question everything!

Post Thanks / Like

We have surprised our kids a few times. The first time we had a package delivered to the front door that my son found. It was a Mickey Mouse that had a note that said Happy Birthday! Come on Down to Disney World and see me now. There was also a buzz light year luggage set and some PJ's. He was so excited.
    Another time we told our son we were going to go but Mickey had to call us and let us know when it was time to come. He was able to enjoy the anticipation of planning, but it was still a surprise. He had a plan to help him hurry up and call. He slept with his stuffed Mickey and had his sister sleep with her Minnie. Oddly enough his plan was on the night before we left. It was funny because he got up the next morning asking if Mickey called. I said no not yet. He looked at me and said "stupid Mouse". I had to laugh because 30 minutes later we were on the way to the airport.
    January 1st of this year, we woke him up and said Happy New Year. We gave him a book from Disney World that Mickey had signed and invited him to spend new years day with him. I was at Disney on a conference in November and visited Chef Mickeys and had him sign the book for us. That was a great trip.
    The last trip wasn't a surprise. He has since asked me to surprise him from now on because it is more fun.
    Nothing else planned right now, but I will have to think of somthing new for next time.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

Share This Thread On Social Media: