Quantcast Party's Over For Disney's Pleasure Island - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a CM telling us that Jelly Rolls at the Boardwalk was the newest happening place. When we've stayed at the Dolphin, I never even went there so I can't say if that's true or not.

We were at PI on 9/25 and there was a pretty good crowd. We just went to the Comedy Warehouse for a show and to say our goodbyes. I figured that the last night was going to be a zoo so we didn't even try to go there.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I fell really left out from the PI scene...on my last two visits I was over 21, but the first time i just walked through my cousin was only 18, so no go on that. The last time I was there, which was this past new years, i was there with my parents. I'm hoping that they bring back some of the clubs. I know that they won't feel the same to those of you that have been to the originals (and after reading the opinions/stories, i consider them the best) but I want to experience just one night in one of them.
    Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge-twice
    Polynesian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Pop Century

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~~Walt Disney

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

An 18 year old could have gotten in with an adult over 21 into CW and AC. It's the good thing of those two places. Plus, given that, it gives me hope that they might still reopen them as part of the new family-friendly PI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Oh it's not closing because people don't like it.
    . . . Brady Bunch
    . . . Woolworth 5¢ and 10¢
    . . . Plymouth
    . . . Horse and Buggies
    . . . Cranium Command & Body Wars
    . . . Hunchback live show

1) They all closed or went belly-up.
    2) People liked them.
    3) But, not enough people liked them enough to patronize them.
    4) Like any business, you need lots of flow.
    5) And PI did not have enough people attending and spending money.
    6) If they did, they wouldn't have eliminated the entrance fee to enter PI.
    7) Since that didn't draw enough people/profits, PI was closed.

NOTE: For clubs, like those in PI, you need people to drink a lot. We have interest in two eateries, and when we budget, we plan for food plus one-drink-per-person-per-half-hour. Our business associates who own bars plan for three-drinks-per-person-per-hour.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread! Some of these comments seem to really get to the heart of the issue I think.

I think Rusty is right, its about not enough people. You could see in the last couple of years while the entrance fee was still in effect that the place had become empty most nights after having been busy most nights of the week. So, they got rid of the entrance fee but that had the unintended effect of the place getting a kind of funny feeling about it. We walked through it a couple of times and there were more than a few customers that didn't give you a safe feeling walking around.

But then, the Boardwalk area also undercut it to some extent. There were a lot of activities around there that meant people from those resorts didn't have to travel to PI to have a night out.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    .Our business associates who own bars plan for three-drinks-per-person-per-hour.[/I]
    I'm not disputing your numbers, but that's planning on sending a lot of drunks on the road....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adventurers Club was OPEN tonight,

Didn't check out what was going on but there was a line and people were inside.
    4.19.02- Baked for the mouse
    2002-Baked at Epcot’s Food and Wine
    11.13.02- Took a Norwalk Virus Disney Cruise
    6.20.04-Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion/ Reception at Boardwalk
    Old Key West:My Home
    "But father...I'm indecent" C.O.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy I think this one thing decided for us.

This closing will pretty much steer my wife and I (who have no kids) towards a cruise instead of visiting WDW next year.

It was neck and neck - we love Disney but equally love adult-themed locales - but I told her last night - "wait, I think I heard something about PI closing down, lemme check Intercot..."

...and for those of you who've said the LAST thing Disney needs is more shopping and restaurants, you've echoed my sentiments perfectly. "Family-friendly" doesn't need to apply absolutely everywhere.
    Working in Trenton, daydreaming about a certain Florida resort. "There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

PO - 1992, PO - 1997, Bdwk - 1999, WL - 2001, WL Villas/Bdwk Villas - Aug. 2002, BC Villas - January, 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Some good memories of PI will be missed
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    And DISNEY_BARBIE..They werent really underpriced at PI. They made so much in the sale of the booze you would think they wouldve been cheaper to enter to encourage people to come.
    Oh, I'm sure their is PLENTY of drink profit to be made. I'm just saying in comparison to clubs around here (that charge up to like $25 to enter and then still charge $10/drink) PI was underpriced in comparison

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy that it closed and I'm excited to see what's going to be put in there!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to the thread but wanted to add my comments.

I am so disappointed to learn that the Adventurers Club is a casualty of the revamping of the Pleasure Island area. I have no idea why it couldn't or wouldn't work in that setting, just as a few other adult oriented/themed locations work around WDW (Jellyrolls?)

Adventurers Club was a perfectly themed adult location for WDW; thematically, it would work very well at both AK and WS, except for the gate closing times. I think this is an awful loss and I wish the people upstairs would reconsider.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

I'll miss the jello shots and the test tubes...oh oh, and the ice slide! Yum-Yum... Thoes were the goold old days when it was primarly adults after hours party time!
    Dec '10 - WDW/POR
    Jun '10 - DCL North European Capitals
    Nov '08 - WDW/Pop Century
    Jun '08 - WDW / Wilderness Lodge
    Sep '07 - Disney Cruise (Land & Sea)
    May '07 - Disneyland Paris
    Jan '07 - WDW / Offsite
    Nov '06 - WDW / Wilderness lodge
    Sep '06 - Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danpaine View Post
    This closing will pretty much steer my wife and I (who have no kids) towards a cruise instead of visiting WDW next year.
    Ditto. We were lucky enough to visit PI (and especially AC) one last time in September, and had as great a time as ever. It infuriates me that Disney continues to do things like this...and I know that I am not alone in this.

AC/PI was such an regular stop on our Disney vacations...so much so that we changed our minds about going down for the F&W Festival, and we are now likely going to Universal instead this summer.

I have loved WDW since my very first visit in 1971...but lately it seems as though my favorite things (AC, PI, Spaceship Earth, the menu at San Angel) are being totally screwed up.
    Disneyland - Off-site: 1968 (too young to remember!), 1986, Aug 1993, Jun 1995.

Disney World - Off-site: 1971 (yes, '71!), 1973, 1975, Dec 1998, May 2000, Apr 2002.
    Jul/Aug 2005 - Pop Century
    Oct 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 2008 - Coronado

Euro Disney 1992 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Our experience at PI has not been the best. One time we couldn't get in our car because of the couple having sex on the ground half under it. The security guard that broke it up told us this has all night every night. Another time a girl squatted in the lot and defecated - after pulling up her pretty blue satin cocktail dress.

I won't miss so many bars in one spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I never got to go due to the kids. But always thought they should have put a family club in for the young ones. Where they could go dance and have fun. Like a Disney kids club with the music from the Imagination movers and so on. My daughter was waiting for 2/09 for her 21 b-day so she could go. Oh well.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Deesdisney View Post
    I never got to go due to the kids. But always thought they should have put a family club in for the young ones. Where they could go dance and have fun. Like a Disney kids club with the music from the Imagination movers and so on. My daughter was waiting for 2/09 for her 21 b-day so she could go. Oh well.
    Actually, both Comedy Warehouse and Adventurer's Club were all ages, as long as those under 21 had an adult over 21 with them.

Because trust me, I've seen some young ones at both.

Post Thanks / Like

I will so miss not going to PI and AC and CW next week. It will be the first trip in almost twenty years that we didn't go to PI after DQ. I hope AC and CW reopens or moves to another location.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: