Quantcast Disney Vacation Club Continues Unprecedented Growth With Two New Development Projects - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the cost per point at this new DVC resort?
    Jeff T.
    July 2021 - Yacht Club Resort
    2018, 15, 14, 12, 11, 10 - Wilderness Lodge Resort
    2017, 13, 09, 08, 07, 06, 05, 04, 03 - Beach Club Resort
    2002, 1996 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2019, 01 - Boardwalk Resort
    2016, 00 - Yacht Club Resort
    1995 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    1994 - Port Orleans Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
    What's the cost per point at this new DVC resort?
    It's approximately $112 per point, but I understand there's an incentive (maybe $8 per point) for existing DVC members.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry ... correction to the incentive ... existing DVC members buying a BLT add-on can currently take advantage of a $5 per point credit.

I've been told, however, that this incentive may not last long depending on how quickly these units sell. If it looks like they'd move briskly at $112 per point the incentive will go away.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm not sure what you think is so "poorly thought out" about it and I completely and totally disagree that it's "not one bit better than OKW" ... I've stayed at both and in my opinion SSR is head and shoulders better than run down, worn out, antiquated, smelly Old Key West. We just did a 2BR at OKW in May and I can tell you I won't go back. To me, OKW feels like some cheap, tawdry motel somewhere. Not my thing at all.

Anyway, I guess my point is it's clearly a matter of personal preference as to whether or not you like SSR. I, for one, am quite glad to see them expand our offerings with the treehouses and I'm pretty certain most other SSR owners do, too.

I've never stayed at SSR and to my recollection I don't think I've ever bashed it... but all I have to say is wait 15 years and tell me about how SSR is not "run down, worn out, antiquated, and smelly."

We own at OKW and really do like it a lot. I like the laid back atmosphere - but I did notice on our last trip to there a few weeks ago in August that the place had some of the same feel to me as it did to you. Each room needs a massive upgrade - flat panel TV's, iPod docks/alarm clocks, serious maintenance on all the HVAC, new paint, thorough scrubbing, windows that don't sweat, re-stocked kitchens, blinds that work, doors that open flawlessly, etc.

I noticed the grounds seemed overgrown too. I personally like the layout, atmosphere and subdued decor, but agree the place needs some TLC. It's not that it was dirty, just in need of significant overhaul. My whole point is that I wonder if the dues will not fully cover the mega-infusion of cash OKW needs right now? or is that it's just not a priority yet? Either way, I can't see the situation being any different 12 to 15 years from now at SSR...

Back on-topic:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the addition of BLT and the Treehouse Villas are excellent additions to the DVC program. I'd like to add-on to my DVC points and buy at BLT, but not in this economy. If I get to stay there at some point in the next 10-15 years using my OKW points, I'll be happy.

Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

lockedoutlogic Guest

for the record:

I think the treehouses and contemporary are excellent additions to "the program"....

....I think Saratoga is a horrible addition and should be taken off the drawing board before the planning and construction gets too out of hand

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mjstaceyuofm View Post
    I've never stayed at SSR and to my recollection I don't think I've ever bashed it... but all I have to say is wait 15 years and tell me about how SSR is not "run down, worn out, antiquated, and smelly."
    Matt, I'm not sure if you misread or misinterpreted my post, but my comments weren't directed at you, specifically.

I was responding to another post, but really just trying to point out that DVC is very subjective and that one man's meat is another's poison (as they say).

A lot of people bash SSR relentlessly, but we own there and we love it. It's definitely one of our favorite resorts.

Others gush about OKW, but we didn't like it at all really. It was just "okay" for us.

I wasn't begrudging others the right to like it, but just illustrating that it's all personal tastes. Some people speak in such finite terms about SSR as if it grew straight up out of the bowels of you-know-where. It's just opinion, is all I'm trying to say.

And yes ... you're correct ... it's off-topic for this thread.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I know what you're getting at. I didn't take it wrong at all. In a roundabout way I was agreeing with you - each DVC resort is unique in it's own way and some have more affinity in people's minds than others. I haven't stayed at SSR so I can't comment on it. What I can agree with you on is the fact that I think OKW (for as much as I love it) needs some TLC and I could see how someone staying there recently who hasn't had that love affair with it or have it grow on them would be put off by the run down, worn out, antiquated, smelly feel of the place.

What I worry about is that Disney will let their "less marquee" DVC resorts, (OKW and SSR), get to and stay at this state. If it's attached to a hotel, I don't think they'll let it get that way... Which rules out BLT, AKL, VWL, BWV, BCV.

Anybody see at pattern at vero or HHI?
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We're headed to Vero on Sunday, so I'll report back on the state of the rooms once we check in.

I've heard, though, that the Vero resort is top notch.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

first off - I look forward to hearing the report. We stayed at HHI for a week in May 2002 and I thought the place was very much like OKW. I do remember, even at the time, thinking the actual resort wasn't as clean as I would've thought it should be - I remember there being sand in the room in spots there shouldn't have been.....

.... I'm so picky!

Second - wait until those kids of yours get in school. Those long off-season vacations get more difficult to execute. We were in WDW the last week of August and it was on the verge of being too crowded for me...
    Matt

lockedoutlogic Guest

just to throw a couple of lincoln's back in.....

my contention isn't actually that saratoga is a dump...

it is not....it is oversized....hastily constructed...and inadequate in amenities in my opinion....but that's another story.

my contention is that saratoga (and most likely animal kingdom) has changed the entire system for the worst - in my opinion....

adding what amounts to 30-40% of their inventory in "less desirable" locations completely alters the way DVC had worked for 15 years.....

950 units at saratoga is irresponsible on the greedies part.....

it simply bogs down what used to be a fairly convenient and successful system of choice and flexibility....

And when I...or someone else bring that up....the usual response is "then buy a resale add on for busy times where you WANT to go"

Excuse me? Does not everyone see that there is something fundamentally wrong with that?

(disclaimer: i'm not talking about Dec 22-Jan 2 here....the amount of log jams at other times have increased alot in the last few years....both from what i've observed from my in-laws and experienced on my own. soon....the whole year will be a "high demand time".....as much of the calender has already become

I think DVC has torpedoed the non-home resort privileges...i think they know it....and i think they will continue to push it as a primary selling point for the forseeable future....even though it's almost dead now.)

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    I think DVC has torpedoed the non-home resort privileges...i think they know it....and i think they will continue to push it as a primary selling point for the forseeable future....even though it's almost dead now.)
    This isn't meant just for lockedoutlogic, but it brought up something I've always wondered (as a non-DVC person) so maybe someone else can answer.

As DVC becomes more built-out / sold-out, isn't it really just the same thing as a subdivision being built out? When you're the first house on the block you have peace and quiet, can go play in the neighboring lots, that sort of thing, but as more and more homes are built the traffic increases and you can't do quite as much as you used to. It seems like an inevitable progression that as each resort sells out you have a greater number of people competing for the same number of rooms, hence the reason Disney suggests buying where you want to stay.

Again I haven't heard the spiel, so I don't know whether they emphasize the ability to stay at different resorts or the need to buy where you want to stay more, just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

They definitely emphasize the ability to stay at any DVC resort.

We were fortunate that our guide was pretty honest with us (buy where you want to stay), but I've talked to others and even overheard spiels from other guides and all of them just focused on all the DVC resorts there are and how you can stay at any of them.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    hence the reason Disney suggests buying where you want to stay.
    No offense, but you are way off base here. Disney sells DVC as a timeshare where you can stay at ANY DVC resort. It is a major selling point for them.
    They definitely emphasize the ability to stay at any DVC resort.
    Ian is absolutely dead on correct here. Disney sells DVC as a unique timeshare where you can stay when you want (accurate) and where you want (only partially accurate). Try booking a room from Thanksgiving through Christmas at either the BC or BW (assuming they're not your home resorts). Darned near impossible these days. Ten years ago, it was rather easy.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yeah, I mean we've been waitlisted at BWV, BCV, and VWL for about 8 months and nothing has come through for us for the first week in December.

Admittedly, though, that's like the most popular DVC week of the year.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

lockedoutlogic Guest

This isn't meant just for lockedoutlogic, but it brought up something I've always wondered (as a non-DVC person) so maybe someone else can answer.

As DVC becomes more built-out / sold-out, isn't it really just the same thing as a subdivision being built out? When you're the first house on the block you have peace and quiet, can go play in the neighboring lots, that sort of thing, but as more and more homes are built the traffic increases and you can't do quite as much as you used to. It seems like an inevitable progression that as each resort sells out you have a greater number of people competing for the same number of rooms, hence the reason Disney suggests buying where you want to stay.

Again I haven't heard the spiel, so I don't know whether they emphasize the ability to stay at different resorts or the need to buy where you want to stay more, just curious.

disney does not suggest buying where you want to stay....

that is completely inaccurate.

Disney builds new units and sells them....they do not actively push the resale of points they have reacquired after a location has "sold out"

their goal and public push is always to sell new pork.....they will accomodate those who wish to buy recycled points.....but it is neither advertised or encouraged in most cases....

I wouldn't be surprised if the agents are specifically instructed not to acknowledge the benefits of resale....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification, every thread I've read on here about DVC says to buy where you want to stay so I assumed that was something Disney recommends, but it sounds like it's more of a recommendation / warning that DVC owners give to people considering buying.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification, every thread I've read on here about DVC says to buy where you want to stay so I assumed that was something Disney recommends, but it sounds like it's more of a recommendation / warning that DVC owners give to people considering buying.
    You're absolutely right! Disney just wants people to buy. It's the membership who encourage you to purchase where you want to stay.

We have points at SSR and BWV. Been very happy with our membership thus far. It will be interesting, over the next few years, to see how the wait list vs. home resort scenario plays itself out. Members will not be happy if they are forced to their home resort until the end of their contract.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry ... correction to the incentive ... existing DVC members buying a BLT add-on can currently take advantage of a $5 per point credit.
    The $5 discount will also be available to non-DVC people that want to buy BLT.

We very seriously considered AKV last Dec when we took the tour. Knowing that we really wanted BLT, we thought we would buy AKV just to get a foot in the door and then stay at BLT once it opened. Boy, did we make the right decision to wait!! After reading here, it is obvious that it is an absolute must to have BLT as "home" to be able to stay there in December.

We will be new DVC members on Oct 4th!!!
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboundagain View Post
    The $5 discount will also be available to non-DVC people that want to buy BLT.
    That's not my understanding. Can you point me to where you saw that?
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

That's not my understanding. Can you point me to where you saw that?
    That's what Teresa, our agent, told me several different times last week.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: