Quantcast Disney Vacation Club Continues Unprecedented Growth With Two New Development Projects - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SFTrny Guest

Treehouse Villas are BACK!
    Treehouse Villas are BACK!!!
    Treehouse Villas are BACK!!!!!

Wahoo for Treehouse Villas!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

i was happy when it became clear that they intended on a DVC unit at comtemporary.....

....which was about 10 seconds after the last people checked out of Garden North.....

but now two years later....i can't shake the bummed feeling....

why do we have to keep mass producing units at Saratoga?

granted...they are nicer units.....but seriously....the last thing we need are more peeps booking outta saratoga....

their facilities are already inadequate and overtaxed.....now they have to build 60 more units for 8 people...

you know....it's not just that i LOATHE saratoga....

it's that Disney used to show a little restraint in this....a good restraint...

could VWL been twice as big...or three times? yes
    would they have still sold no problem?
    yes
    same two questions...same two answers with BCV...

Saratoga has gotten out of hand.....it's a mass produced, poorly thought out and constructed....DVC demand factory. Built on the site of an absolute disaster that was Disney Institute

It's not one bit better than OKW....and more points

they've added enough at saratoga....and soon at AKV i believe....to ensure that the 7 month window becomes largely academic....

you know what that sounds like? a traditional timeshare....

....the exact thing that DVC swears they are not....

Post Thanks / Like

Default when available to the public?

amy guesses on when the BLT will become available to the general public? and will there be anything left??
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    you know what that sounds like? a traditional timeshare....

....the exact thing that DVC swears they are not....
    It must be a cash cow for Disney and they cannot stop going back to the trough for more. Disney will do almost anything for a buck right now and hope to be able to deal with the consequences later. It doesn't seem like there are too many in the marketplace that are concerned about tomorrow either, since many cannot wait to get in.

It seems laughable to me that Imagineering is "inspired" to "dream up" new DVC units. I never ever had the impression that they were motivated by those kinds of things. It sounds more like Disney management is inspired to give preference to Imagineering projects involving the growth of DVC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    It must be a cash cow for Disney and they cannot stop going back to the trough for more. Disney will do almost anything for a buck right now and hope to be able to deal with the consequences later. It doesn't seem like there are too many in the marketplace that are concerned about tomorrow either, since many cannot wait to get in.
    Cash cow in many ways to be sure. If WDW could turn every resort room into a DVC, they most certainly would. Think about it. Every time they sell a DVC membership they have built in a long term regular customer. Some of us were visiting annually previous to the creation of DVC, but I am sure to visit annually now. In fact with my DVC being paid off we make the trip twice a year and stay in a resort on the second trip. They are guaranteed your park admission and dining dollars on a regular basis. If you decide not to go you will most likely rent, trade, or even better let your points expire so they can rent the room to someone else. Not to mention they are still collecting a maintenance fee for upkeep. Even more genius is placing them next to existing resorts so that some resources can be shared further reducing costs. As long as they keep selling the magic to folks like us, they will continue to grow.

My question is when are they going to build another gate to handle the increase in visitors, and why do they constantly seem to be cutting budget on things when they are busier than ever?
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

I love that the Contemporary villas have the same style as the original building. I was worried it may not match as well and would ruin the look. The new treehouses should be exciting too!

Now if only I had the money to be DVC member...stupid gas prices
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Disappointed ~

I mustn't be as loaded as the rest of you since I cannot afford timeshare.

I am dissappointed that the villas on the Sassagoula will not be available for people like me to get into.

I guess we're are just not what Disney wants.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doodleboy View Post
    My question is when are they going to build another gate to handle the increase in visitors, and why do they constantly seem to be cutting budget on things when they are busier than ever?
    Those are the #1 questions for me right now. Development costs for new attractions, like Midway Mania, aren't as big as they sound when the same basic attraction is put into two parks. So, why are they giving the appearance of going cheap on the parks when revenue/attendance appears to be at least as expected (if not better)?

Does anyone (on the outside) know how the money is breaking down? Where is all the DVC money going? If it was a way to get 90% - 95% of your money spent on WDW alone, that would be a good selling point for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with dvc and my mother. She purchased at bay lake towers. going down in a week so i get to see the model rooms. I am so excited!!!!! So everyone knows they told me tommorrow night at 8pm on the travel channel there is going to be a special on BLT. i can't wait to see that view.
    *~*~Linny~*~*

Post Thanks / Like

Knew about the CR DVC phase but news to me about the SSR Treehouses!
    My oldest DS has been wanting to stay at CR forever, so that would be our next choice of places to stay....that's IF we can get a reservation!!
    The SSR treehouses look spacious and nice, but we found SSR to be too out of the way for us.
    Thanks Jason for all the info!!!!
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like sales for BLT begin on Sunday 9/21 for those already DVC members. If the price is right, I will have to add-on there - the MK is my favorite park and I have been waiting for this!!

1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to buy in at BLT but I know we don't have the money for it right now. I like the sound of the rooftop deck!
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy View Post
    Looks like sales for BLT begin on Sunday 9/21 for those already DVC members. If the price is right, I will have to add-on there - the MK is my favorite park and I have been waiting for this!!

Actually, it's on sale now. We're meeting with our guide tomorrow and probably signing the papers same day.

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    I mustn't be as loaded as the rest of you since I cannot afford timeshare.

I am dissappointed that the villas on the Sassagoula will not be available for people like me to get into.

I guess we're are just not what Disney wants.
    I'm curious ... have you ever priced DVC? I see from your signature that you've stayed on property at some moderate resorts previously and that you visit pretty regularly.

Not only can you probably afford DVC, but it would probably save you a lot of money. A lot of people, for some reason, assume DVC is not affordable, but when you really take the time and look into it that normally proves not to be the case. Chances are you'd end up coming out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    their facilities are already inadequate and overtaxed.....now they have to build 60 more units for 8 people...

you know....it's not just that i LOATHE saratoga....

Saratoga has gotten out of hand.....it's a mass produced, poorly thought out and constructed....DVC demand factory. Built on the site of an absolute disaster that was Disney Institute

It's not one bit better than OKW....and more points
    Well, I know from reading other posts of yours that you're not a big SSR fan, but I gotta say ... I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of the resort.

I'm not sure what you think is so "poorly thought out" about it and I completely and totally disagree that it's "not one bit better than OKW" ... I've stayed at both and in my opinion SSR is head and shoulders better than run down, worn out, antiquated, smelly Old Key West. We just did a 2BR at OKW in May and I can tell you I won't go back. To me, OKW feels like some cheap, tawdry motel somewhere. Not my thing at all.

Anyway, I guess my point is it's clearly a matter of personal preference as to whether or not you like SSR. I, for one, am quite glad to see them expand our offerings with the treehouses and I'm pretty certain most other SSR owners do, too.

Quote Originally Posted by andypooh View Post
    amy guesses on when the BLT will become available to the general public? and will there be anything left??
    I think it's like October 3rd. Not sure if they'll be anything left ... from what I hear they're moving very, very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by doodleboy View Post
    Cash cow in many ways to be sure. If WDW could turn every resort room into a DVC, they most certainly would.
    Absolutely. It's pure genius, really. They basically outsource the upkeep and maintenance costs to the owners, while at the same time ensuring repeat guests for years to come. It's a brilliant business model.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I wonder, will the MK view rooms be more points that the non-MK view?

FYI the points chart is now available on the DVC member site. Here's a sample:

Adventure Season

Studio Standard View Sun-Thu - 12 points per night
    Studio Lake View Sun-Thu - 15 points per night
    Studio Magic Kingdom View Sun-Thu - 17 points per night

Studio Standard View Fri-Sat - 23 points per night
    Studio Lake View Fri-Sat - 21 points per night
    Studio Magic Kingdom View Fri-Sat - 28 points per night
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The following is based only on the photos posted within this thread...

Personally I think the BLT is going to be a looming eyesore for those in the MK and for those staying elsewhere around the lake. It looks completely unimaginative and not very different from any other ordinary spec condo building you'd see around Florida. Enjoy DVC owners - I will not.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    Personally I think the BLT is going to be a looming eyesore for those in the MK and for those staying elsewhere around the lake. It looks completely unimaginative and not very different from any other ordinary spec condo building you'd see around Florida.
    I felt the same. It's selling point must be the proximity to the monorail and MK, because I don't see much else going for it. If this is what Imagineering's "inspiration to create new DVC resorts" came up with, I'm legitimately concerned about the quality of that portion of the company these days.

SFTrny Guest

OK...I'm not going to buy into a timeshare either...but I might have to see if I can get a week at the DVC Treehouse Villas once they are open. WHAT FUN!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Default The Saratoga Manifesto

Ian....

since you just lobbed a softie right over the plate for me....let me give it a whack....

Why do i think saratoga is the most unimaginative, cheaply constructed, horribly inadequate vacation club resort ever (and hopefully will ever be....because i can't take another "deluxe DVC resort"...like this)?

First the history lesson...

Once there was an evil prince of hollywood name mikey eisner....who thought that people would want to go to school on vacation in orlando....
    so he took old 70's housing units and turned it into grown up disney school.....and added a couple of wharehouse buildings (ugly ones...at that) in the center to house some demonstration space, a spa, a movie theatre, and a small restaurant

It was called Disney institute.....a somewhat interesting idea....but a complete failure from all angles (profit being the key one)

So in 2001....they pulled the plug.....the spa remained....the rooms emptied.....the internationals moved into the treehouse....

Fast forward to 2003....people from all reaches of the northern US get over their "they're going to get me" 9/11 flying fears.....buy 1000 shares of Enron....and take out a 550K mortgage on an annual household income of 61,500....
    and start to swarm to wdw like an outbreak of locusts

Disney thinks....hmmmm....what can we do to exploit this from the timeshare angle?
    We know....we'll keep the same old central structures and knock down the old modular prefab units from DI and build new....mass produced modular units thrown up in the caribbean beach style....

let's build 600....wait...they're biting!....900...wait....we've got more land to exploit....new treehouses!!!

But let's just cheap it up by picking a non-theme.....horseracing in new york....which has nothing distinctive to identify itself with....

let's just slap some pastel paint on the building and rooms and call it imagineering.....

Let's take a former cul de sac next to the spa and check in and throw up the main pool....let's make it in the middle of a bunch of pedestrian walkways across from a huge parking lot and the main street through the property.....let's make it the most poorly located pool in all of WDW....no question

let's go ahead turn 90% of the former DI's usuable space and make it offices and model rooms for pushing pork....

Let's....put a weird quickserve/sometimes full serve (based on our new DDP hustle)/ gift shop that is about 500 square feet and call it amenities
    (something i'd like to point out that has only been done at POP as is far BETTER at POP....certainly not anthing similar at any other "deluxe" resort)

oh....and we still have the golf bar

let's tuck about 200 units on the back side of the property across from the reedy creek firehouse and a stones throw from service areas.....the most un-disney location at any WDW resort

let's build a second "themed pool" that is basically a oval pool with some fiberglass poles stuck in one end...

and my coup de grace....the piece de resistance....

let's charge almost the same as the boardwalk, beach club, and wilderness lodge in terms of points....and offer nowhere near the incentives to stay there....

let's make it more than OKW which is a practical carbon copy of facilities.....with larger rooms and no pullouts....

let's do this KNOWING that this will never have the kinds of people flock to it like the others.....because it's shoved right next to peddler's village and within earshot of all the central florida tourist gaud that is NOT how disney plans it's resorts to feel like.....

yeah...you can technically walk to the marketplace....which is nice occasionally....

unless of course you have to take a 30 minute walk across the jungle just to get to the point of saratoga that's "conveniently located" next to Downtown....

Let's face it....this is mass produced consumer product here....

it's not beach club....it's not wilderness lodge....it's not animal kingdom lodge....it sure as heck isnt' the polynesian....

it really is very similar to the moderates and values in terms of construction....

but here's the kicker....all the values and moderates have much nicer themes and obviously much more thought and care put into designing the themed elements and grounds....

the moderates....for sure....offer much more pleasing experiences in terms of locals and design....and more food....by the way....

listen....i hold these truths to be self-evident...that not all DVC is created equal....

but just look at the numbers.....she was only closed for a year when the initial construction on Saratoga began....she opend 1-2 years later.....

you know what can get done in imagineering in 2 or 3 years?

NOTHING.....this baby simply didn't have the disney groundwork laid to be much more than a chain hotel....

i'm willing to bet that the person who recommended saratoga and horse racing flew into LaGuardia and never left the skybar....

it's just not a Disney place......other than the view of the rainforest cafe volcano....

and none of this would have mattered.....if they hadn't bothered to charge more than old key west....

old key west and saratoga are very similar.....not alot of dining options.....spread out.....pretty generic exterior entry modular room blocks....boat access to downtown....."light" theming

heck...they're on the same golfcourse!!

but the fact that i have to pay 3 points a night...at least more for a room at saratoga than okw is madness......and only 1 point less than beach club....(based on studios)....

you have to be kidding me!!!!!

so in closing....ask not what your DVC can do for you....

ask what you can do for them to close saratoga and refund everyone.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I felt the same. It's selling point must be the proximity to the monorail and MK, because I don't see much else going for it. If this is what Imagineering's "inspiration to create new DVC resorts" came up with, I'm legitimately concerned about the quality of that portion of the company these days.
    The above is definitely its biggest selling points, but from the promo materials it might also have something no other DVC resort has -- awesome sky-high views.

Both the MK and Bay Lake views look like they will be spectacular because of the height of the building.

Other DVC resorts have some great views, but I think BLT's will rival all others.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as BLT being an eyesore... It never become one for me. I work at CT, WL, and FW and I'm constantly around the lake in one respect or another and we all just kinda got used to it. When in MK, you wont even notice it unless you specifically look for it if you can even end up seeing it. As far as the view being blocked at the CT, yes, the view is a bit different from Bay Lake side, but it really has minimal affect. Seeing fireworks from CT might be a bit different. Overall I think it's nice. I was at first opposed to them building the BLT but it's turned out to be nice soo far. Time will tell what the mass opinion ends up being though...
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: