Quantcast Disney world in a cast and wheelchair...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

SFTrny Guest

Default Disney world in a cast and wheelchair...

OK..so here's the deal. We have booked our trip to Disney and FW already and been plannin it for months. My daughter (17) now has to have surgery in early Sept and will be in a leg cast for 3 months...including our time in late November at Disney.

We have debated about moving the trip to Dec when she is out of the cast, but she is actually pushing to go in Nov and not worry about the cast and chair.

I am interested in everyone's opinion and suggestions about staying at DW and seeing the parks when one person is in a leg cast and a wheelchair.

We are staying at FW, will have a rental car, and a golf cart.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All good!

I have been to Disney the past two years in a wheelchair because of knee issues. Being 14 & 15 when I went, it was actually really fun! Getting pushed around and not having to do much besides ride is a blast!

Just don't get drowsy and cart her around! One night in Epcot, my mom got tired and forgot she was pushing me. She pushed me and walked off and I was sent flying into a display!!
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

What a way to clear a path - better than a stroller. (Just kidding).

Your DD will see part of it at butt level, but it's not that bad. The CM's will treat her well, as only Disney CM's do.

Since she's 17, have you considered an ECV? That way, she'll have more control over her environment. Crowds can be like a "purse string" around those of us rolling around, and I like being able to stop to avoid a collision. My DH might be looking another direction when he's pushing me in a WC. (Been there, done that).

You'll all have a wonderful trip.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Also, you'll want to check with your daughter's surgeon to see if he/she will allow her to travel at that point in time.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

My DS used a wheelchair for a day during our June trip. He has foot issues and was having more problems than usual one particular day. He didn't like it because it took away some of his freedom, but when he looked at the big picture and the possibility of having to stay in, or at least out of the parks for a day or more, he was fine with it. At the end of the day, he wasn't nearly as exhausted as the rest of us. He was treated really well by the CMs, but some of the guest just ignored him and never moved out of the way so he could catch up with the rest of our group.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

SFTrny Guest

Thanks all! Your insight is much appreciated by me and daughter. Very encouraging!

Post Thanks / Like

is your daughter 18 at time of trip? i think you have to be 18 to rent scooter. maybe with a doctors note it will be ok. she should still enjoy the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

We did that in 2000 when my niece 12 and in a leg cast. My sister got a wheelchaor delivered to the resort and they used it all the time. We all took turns pushing my niece. Good luck

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: