Quantcast Indy Speedway

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indy Speedway

Post Thanks / Like

Question Indy Speedway

For some reason this popped into my head. Why is the Indy Speedway in Tomarrrowland anyway? Doesn't seem like driving a car did or does have anything to do with the future.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would assume (without looking up facts) that when DIsneyland first opened in 1955, highways were still relatively futuristic.
    When Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, the highway theme was changed to a speedway theme because by that time highways were no longer futuristic.
    But I would agree, this whole attraction isn't futuristic at all and shouldn't be in Tomorrowland. That is a big space where something else could go, although I haven't heard of any talks of removing it.
    I personally think it should at least be Cars themed.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mess with my Speedway

Anyways...

Kids - and some parents/adults - almost ALWAYS want to drive "their own car" at some point - *in the future*. And some of *those* want to drive their own "race car" - in the future. See?

That, plus the Speedway is the "sports arena" of the "community of Tomorrowland", just like Buzz is the "Star Command Headquarters" for Tomorrowland.

Oh - and PLEASE....*NO MORE Pixar* in Tomorrowland - or in the parks for that matter!
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

It's so weird you started this thread .... I just posted in the what attraction would you not miss thread this exact question!!

Lose the cars!!!*

*Sorry Jim.

-Kristy

Many trips all off-site
    Oct 07 Pop and Poly
    June 08 POP/Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Main Street Jim;1714726]Don't mess with my Speedway

Anyways...

Kids - and some parents/adults - almost ALWAYS want to drive "their own car" at some point - *in the future*. And some of *those* want to drive their own "race car" - in the future. See?

Ditto - believe it or not this was the biggest must do ride for my cousins aged 13 & 14 (in all of MK) a few weeks ago (their very first trip to WDW ever) because they got to drive a "car" all by themselves! - I've been there, honestly - I recall that I felt the same way on this attraction when I was just a kid of 7 years old. When I ride it these days I sometimes get flash backs to the time when I had to stretch one leg out further than the other to reach the pedal. Lastly, I truly love the put-put sound of the motor and watching the little kids "drive" (banging the guide rail really) with great big grins on there faces as they turn the final corner approaching the pit stop from the railing near Toontown. To me this ride is about as magical as it gets for kids and the kids at heart who long for the future when they finally drive or climb behind the wheel of a real race car! I hope it's always there for the kids... (oh, heck for me too).
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

The attraction is located where it is because it's really a part of both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. It's right on the border. Look at our costumes that we wear out there...LOL...they fit in both Fantasyland *and* Tomorrowland. DL's Autopia is the same way, and for a time, it was listed as BOTH a Fantasyland Autopia and a Tomorrowland Autopia.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see it updated, but I think it is a great ride, especially for kids. What if it had like a Meet the Robinsons theme with futuristic cars and buildings to drive through and around?
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Indy Speedway and would hate to see it go! Its nice that it is named after the Indianapolis 500-the greatest spectale in racing and most known/historic car race. Maybe I am biased because I am from Indy???
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we're no longer the "Tomorrowland INDY Speedway". Our sponsorship deal with the Indy Racing League and Indianapolis Motor Speedway ran out at the end of 2007; we only had a ten-year contract. We're now back to just the "Tomorrowland Speedway", with all cars having been re-decaled as such. There's only a couple of spots where the signage and spiels still need to be changed. We are, however, getting a new "Victory Lane" car installed soon as well.

But anyways...I digress

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason this popped into my head. Why is the Indy Speedway in Tomarrrowland anyway?
    Because the cars are way, way, way too slow to be considered an adventure (and thus be in adventureland). By the way I'm not a raceway hater...I think its a great ride for little ones, my kids both drove their first "car" there. I have many fond memories of the place.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

It probably has a lot to do with Disneyland's Autopia being between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started. I have posted many times in other threads about how "lame" I (and my boys) think this attraction is. My kids refuse to wait in line to ride this because it is not anywhere near as much fun as local cheesy amusement park's go-kart rides they can ride almost everywhere else. And that is my biggest complaint about it. Yes, I know little kids enjoy it, but being part of the MAGIC KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, it ought to be an attraction that is "light-years" better than what is available at local two-bit tourist-trap amusement parks. But it is not. In fact, it's worse. And that is a real shame. MK is not an amusement park, it's a Magical Theme Park. And all of its attractions should reflect that. But the speedway doesn't measure up. It's the biggest waste of real-estate in any WDW theme park in my opinion and ought to be replaced with something more magical and much better than you can find at other cheapo amusement parks. It's needs to be either radically up-dated or replaced. It could still be car (or "Cars")-themed. Surely Disney imagineering can do better than this.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Indy Cars

This is easily the most UNDisney attraction in all 4 parks.

It's no different than a thousand other roadside gocart tracks just louder and smellier and dirtier because there are so many cars.

And while WDW puts 'Enviromentality' whatever cards in resort guest room urging guests to keep using the same towel the Indy Speedway burns gasoline ever hour the park is open.

Theming is well, if there is any it's not related to anything Disney.

Just because Disney parks have always had a car ride doesn't mean the Disney Company should have let this attraction go unimproved for so long.

Now even the Indianpolis Speedway doesn't want to have a connection with this turkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very mixed on this particular attraction. I don't really know where it belongs but both Fantasy Land and Tomorrow Land don't seem to fit. I also agree that it seems more like an amusement park ride rather than a Disney type of ride. However, kids to absolutely love it.

I think that where it really belongs is in the Hestor and Jestor section over at Animal Kingdom. The attractions in that section are most definitely local carnival type of rides and I think that (space issues aside) the cars would fit in well in that area.

Of course, you also have to realize that I don't like that area of Animal Kingdom so if that area was done away with I don't know where they would put the cars.

Post Thanks / Like

And while WDW puts 'Enviromentality' whatever cards in resort guest room urging guests to keep using the same towel the Indy Speedway burns gasoline ever hour the park is open.
    We do have a hybrid car in the works. We're still working out the bugs in it

Theming is well, if there is any it's not related to anything Disney.
    Well...Kilimanjaro Safaris is not themed toward "anything related to Disney" (i.e., there's no "Disney" characters or movie tie-ins in the attraction); it's themed toward a real African Safari. Maelstrom is not themed toward "anything related to Disney"; it's a Norwegian boat ride. Likewise, the Tomorrowland Speedway *is* themed toward race cars and (formerly) the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with the "Yard of Bricks", the scoring tower, etc.

Now even the Indianapolis Speedway doesn't want to have a connection with this turkey.
    That's not the case. we only had a 10-year sponsorship with Indy and the IRL, and that contract ran out. Just like when AT&T's contract ran out with Spaceship Earth, GE's with Horizons, Frito-Lay/Pepsi with Country Bear Jamboree, etc...

I think that where it really belongs is in the Hestor and Jestor section over at Animal Kingdom.
    Would that be "Chester and Hester's DinoRama"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Well...Kilimanjaro Safaris is not themed toward "anything related to Disney" (i.e., there's no "Disney" characters or movie tie-ins in the attraction); it's themed toward a real African Safari. Maelstrom is not themed toward "anything related to Disney"; it's a Norwegian boat ride. Likewise, the Tomorrowland Speedway *is* themed toward race cars and (formerly) the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with the "Yard of Bricks", the scoring tower, etc...?
    Well, actually, themeing is part of what makes Kilamanjaro Safaris and Maelstrom attractions worthy of Disney World.

If KilSaf was done 'Speedway Style' it would be an elephant in a parking lot and Malestrom would be a portable swimming pool with a rowboat floating in it.

I think a car ride where the parent coaches and the kid steers is a terrific WDW attraction but the version at WDW/MK needs a post 1972 refurb.

Post Thanks / Like

The version at WDW/MK needs a post 1972 refurb.
    Ummm...it's been refurbed - three times now. The first time was with the 1994-95 "retheming" of Tomorrowland, from Grand Prix Raceway into Tomorrowland Speedway, and again in 1997 with the IRL/Indianapolis Motor Speedway sponsorship into the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway. Now we're just back to the "Tomorrowland Speedway" (dropping the "Indy").

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to be a far less popular than I would have guessed, which surprises me a bit... it always has massive queues when we go.

It's one I can take or leave, depending on those aforementioned queues, but for me it's biggest downfall is the smell. For someone with allergies, the fumes are not all that fun to be hanging around

Thinking about it though, I have always placed it firmly on the edge of Tomorrowland. Can anyone remember if there is there a clearly defined border on that side (as opposed to the bridge) ???
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe there could be a Wall-e themed attraction there since it has to do with space and would fit right in in that area with Space Moutain and other spaced themed stuff.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

And as soon as they update it, or replace it, everyone will be complaining about "how on earth could they change it".

A few years ago, my two sons 13 and 15 at the time, and I rode this ride. We had a ball, pretending to be racing each other. Do we ride it often, no, not at all. But then, we're not really the intended audience either.

No, it's not a thrill ride, it's not a roller coaster. Buy to a 6, 8 or 10 year old, it's probably a lot of fun. Not everything needs to be a thrill ride. There are more guests other than the thrill seakers. Those younger children deserve their fun too. And yes, adults can ride too and the whole family can have fun together.

Imagine that, "a family park where parents and children could have fun - together."
    Marker from MO

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: