Quote Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
In the decathlon, they get points for each event and then only one gold medal, which is kind of weird, running and all the jumping and such is much harder on the body than swimming (since a lot of runners use swimming for therapy). When I did track and field, you are usually good at short or long distance, but it's rare to be great at both. I hope it doesn't come out later that a lot of the swimmers have had assistance, there has been some talk about that.
- I'm wondering if the Chinese haven't concocted some kind of new "thin water". Nah, though I'm sure the new technology in costumes help somewhat.

- I've finally watched some of the much-controversially-discussed women's gymnastics as GB's Beth Tweddle was in action in the a-bars final. It was a rather surreal scene as she and Nastia Liukin seemed to have bypassed the Olympic venue and wandered into a creche.

- I find the Modern Pentathlon a sadly undercovered event full of remarkable sportspeople. Rather than time-trials and races - essentially all tests of physical prowess - like the decathlon; the pentathlon requires this plus other styles of sporting test - a one-on-one combat event (fencing), a test of nerves under pressure (shooting) and the improvised skills of the equestrianism (they are only assigned their horses the day before the event).