Quantcast New/Odd signs going up at water parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New/Odd signs going up at water parks

A couple of other sites have reported some new safety signs going up at the water parks. The wording on these signs is somewhat un-Disney like and somewhat blunt. I can't post the link to the web-site nor the picture, but they are worded as follows:

• Don't enter the water if you are ill with diarrhea
    • Diaper age children must wear swim diapers
    • Wash hands with soap and water after using the toilet or after changing diapers
    • Wash your child thoroughly, especially the rear end

Apparently, this may have been prompted from warnings by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) in response to a rising number of Crypto cases. They have a similar set of warnings they are advising to child care facilities and workers. Below are the CDC warnings:

• PLEASE don't swim when you have diarrhea. This is especially important for kids in diapers. You can spread germs in the water and make other people sick even when you are feeling better. Keep children who've had diarrhea out of the pool for a few days after they feel better. If you have been diagnosed with crypto, please stay out of swimming pools and recreational waters for at least two weeks.
    • PLEASE don't swallow the pool water. In fact, avoid getting water in your mouth.
    • PLEASE practice good hygiene. Wash your hands frequently, especially after using the toilet or changing diapers. Take a shower before swimming, washing thoroughly with soap and water (especially the rear end). Everyone has invisible amounts of fecal matter on their bottoms that end up in the pool. Germs on your body end up in the water.
    • PLEASE take your kids on regular bathroom breaks or change diapers often, and use swim diapers. Waiting to hear "I have to go" may mean that it's too late.
    • PLEASE change diapers in a bathroom; not at the poolside. Germs can spread to surfaces around the pool and spread illness.

Obviously, they couldn't put all of that on a sign, but if this is a risk that they're concerned for, maybe they should be doing a little more than just putting up some odd-sounding signs.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I don't know if I should laugh or be terrified.

You know though, I'm sure this has been going on a lot longer than a few months or years even.

I'm sure there has been plenty of times when it's been too late for kids and the pool just got a bit warmer.

And I'm sure it's not the end of the world.

Unless we are talking a full Baby Ruth in the pool. Then that might be a different story. (Caddyshack reference).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post

You know though, I'm sure this has been going on a lot longer than a few months or years even.

And I'm sure it's not the end of the world.
    Yeah, but if it is in response to Crypto, then it's a little more serious. Chlorine is pretty effective for most stuff and works fairly quick. But, Crypto requires more time for the chlorine to take effect and clear it out of the water.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crypto??

What Is Crypto?
    1976 offsite (thanks Mom Love ya!!)
    2000 Off site
    2002 All Star Music
    2004 Riverside
    2006 Riverside
    2006 Coronado Springs
    2006/07 Offsite (New Years Eve)
    2007 - 2011 Riverside
    2011 off site
    2011 - Pop Century
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
    What Is Crypto?
    I haven't hear of it, either.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

Crypto is a germ that causes diarrhea. Crypto, short for Cryptosporidium, is found in infected people's stool and cannot be seen by the naked eye. This germ is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive for long periods of time and makes it resistant to chlorine disinfection found in pools.

No, I didn't know that. Google works wonders
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

thats gross! Why do people have such problems with washing their hands after using the bathroom? really its disgusting! I am so used to washing my hands many times a day. I am not a germophobe but I hate when people don't wash their hands-its disgusting. Also, I use hand sanitizer all the time because I am used to working with ice cream and other food at my job.
    Speaking of my job, in my waterpark there are these signs that everyone always makes fun of when they come in the park because it says something like "If you are overweight and/or non-athletic you should not use the slides..."
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I did see the pictures that you are talking about on another site......
    They did say that most of the signs are now gone.....
    I have a hard time believing that they were really there and not made up by the person that sent them in.....

Ill want and see if we get anyone that saw the signs......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTigger View Post

I have a hard time believing that they were really there and not made up by the person that sent them in.....

Ill want and see if we get anyone that saw the signs.....
    I've seen other's postings on another site that have confirmed them.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

This problem (crypto) is spread by fecal matter being released into the pools, mostly from children with loaded diapers.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of a parent would take their child into a pool with a loaded diaper! It takes common sense to elliviate these problems. Unfortunately there are alot of people out there with no common sense!

I cannot tell you how many times I see people walk out of a bathroom without washing their hands. That is the most disgusting thing ever! How lazy, it only takes a minute or two to wash.

Makes me want to stay out of public pools on our trip!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely keeping DD out of the kiddie pool at POP! I can only imagine all the diapers in there.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

These same signs have just popped up at many of our local public pools in Ohio as wel,l so that leads me to belive that its just a general warning. I think its good that they have these signs up myself because there really are some completely clueless people out there.
    Leslie

next trip 10/08 All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Hope the signs help. But I have my doubts, the things mentioned, by and large, are just good common sense issues of hygiene and decency...and the folks who pay attention to such things are prone to do the right thing without signs, while the folks who typically don't pay attention to such things will likely just ingnore the signs.

Furthermore, while there might be a cumulative effect by the signs after they have been in place in pools and water parks for a while (and over time the messages work their way into the thought processes of families), I kind of doubt that more than a few families will follow along and be willing to keep Jr. or Princess out of the water on a hot florida day when everyone else is having a good time (especially after forking out some serious dough to enter BB or TL). More apt to happen, I beleive, is the rationalization scenario of "well, its just one child, what can it hurt."
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTigger View Post
    I did see the pictures that you are talking about on another site......
    They did say that most of the signs are now gone.....

Ill want and see if we get anyone that saw the signs......

I saw them Sat at TL. I was a little shocked, but glad they are putting the education out there. ONe would think that this is common sense.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

It makes me nuts that we have to have signs to educate people about stuff like this. Accidents are accidents, but some parents can do much more to prevent them from happening. In our local pools, we have a 10-minute "safety break" every hour, in which everyone needs to get out of the pool. But what it really means is TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO THE POTTY NOW.

We are overly careful with our young kids. My 3.5-year old daughter is fully potty trained, but we won't take her in a public pool without rubber pants AND a swimmer on for at least another year. We don't want to be responsible for a pool closure.

One time at the Vero Beach Resort we saw this woman with a 1.5-year old child wearing nothing but a droopy diaper in the pool. We decided to be helpful and gave the woman an extra swimmer that we had in our bag. So while the kid is still submerged in the pool, she rips off the old diaper completely, and puts on the swimmer. Guess that was her idea of "Wash your child thoroughly, especially the rear end" using the public pool as a bath.

We will be going to the waterparks on our upcoming vacation, and I just hope that none of get sick due to someone else's carelessness.
    Stan
    11/72 CR 10/73 PR 7/75 PR 7/77 PR 8/79 PR 7/81 PR 7/83 PR 7/85 PR 8/87 Grosvenor 6/89 PR 7/90 CBR 7/92 POR 8/97 POFQ 6/99 POR 9/00 BWV 1/03 OKW 6/03 POR 8/03 BCV 5/05 BWV 5/06 BCV 12/06 SSR 1/07 ASMv 8/08 BCV 1/09 BWV 8/09 PR 1/10 PC 5/11 PC 7/11 AKL&BCV 1/13 OKW 6/13 BCV&AKL 1/15 OKW 7/16 PR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    ONe would think that this is common sense.
    Sadly, common sense isn't common to every body.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I was there recently and saw the signs. I remember because I told our group about it as they were having lunch. "Don't go swimming if you have diarhea!"

Unfortunately, anyone without the common sense to do this won't heed the signs.

Post Thanks / Like

The pool at our local YMCA was closed for days last summer because it had become infected. So, it's not a joke. Read about it here

Post Thanks / Like

sad that the world has come to this, but people sometimes are just plain dumb!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: