Quantcast Question about Animation Characters at the Magic Kingdom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Animation Characters at the Magic Kingdom

I have a question about the Animation Characters at the Magic Kingdom (i.e. Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Tigger, Winnie The Pooh, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, etc.) I've always wondered if a male character has a male inside, female character a female. Or does Disney decide to put someone with the right height into a specific costume?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

According to what we were told on the keys to the Kingdom tour, the characters are usually "cast" into costumes by body type. (How many women do you know who are over 6 feet tall and skinny enough to play Goofy?)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Default If you're the right height...

You can play Mickey!

I worked at Disneyland when I was in high school (1990) as a character. I'm 5'1, so was usually dressed as "Dale." To be Mickey you cant be taller than 5'0, I believe, but one day they needed someone, so I was called. It was fun! It is SURE hot in there, though! You are not allowed to be photographed without the full costume- meaning, you cant take the head off and have your picture snapped. I also never got any instruction on autographs, although that might have changed since then... I also wore Roger Rabbit and one of the three pigs. Underneath, we wore Disney gym outfits, then tossed those into the laundry when we were done.
    You are also NOT allowed into the park after your shift, nor did you get any free passes until you'd been there a year. They are super strict!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    According to what we were told on the keys to the Kingdom tour, the characters are usually "cast" into costumes by body type. (How many women do you know who are over 6 feet tall and skinny enough to play Goofy?)
    Actually, I know 2 of them! lol One is a friend of mine, tall enough to play Brer Bear. The other is the daughter of another friend, and she's tall enough to play Goofy.

My taller friend, however, has a very artistic and feminine cursive signature. I'm not sure how that type of "Brer Bear" signature would look.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

What are you talking about?

The characters are whatever they are! Mickey is a boy, and Minnie is a girl! Sheesh! Imagine, Mickey wearing a dress!

Why do people need to ruin the magic?

But I've know quite a few times when Maleficent was friends with Goofy. In fact, a lot of time, she is friends with Goofy, Tigger, Brer Bear, Captain Hook.

And how did you learn to write? You were taught and your teachers usually helped! So I'm sure the characters had to learn to write at some point?

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post

The characters are whatever they are! Mickey is a boy, and Minnie is a girl! Sheesh! Imagine, Mickey wearing a dress!

But I've know quite a few times when Maleficent was friends with Goofy. In fact, a lot of time, she is friends with Goofy, Tigger, Brer Bear, Captain Hook.

And how did you learn to write? You were taught and your teachers usually helped! So I'm sure the characters had to learn to write at some point?
    Thanks for reminding me that there are nasty people on the boards who I should avoid.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly!!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Simba View Post
    Thanks for reminding me that there are nasty people on the boards who I should avoid.
    I'm sorry you found that response to be nasty.

As some one who works in the parks, I hear this question repeatedly, and the person who usually asks it has no regard for who might overhear. I like to preserve the magic, both on and off stage. You can refer to the characters as costumes, people, whatever - for me, they are the characters regardless of what they are backstage. Mickey is Mickey, no matter where I see him and who he is friends with.

To me, it's a dumb question. Not that I'm not used to hearing those (again, I work in the parks), but because it violates the concept that Walt wanted - a place where magic happens.

So, I hate it when people spoil the magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Simba View Post
    Woah, I don't think anyone meant any harm. The good captain was simply abiding by the protocal we have used on these boards for years. I did not sense any spite at all.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

I have often wondered the same thing....

I didn't find the captain's comment nasty at all. I took it as trying to be funny and I also know that she works there and would expect that from her as a CM.

'90~Grosvner Hotel
    '94~Shades of Green
    '03~Off property
    '05~Off property
    '06~youth trip off property
    '06~All Star Movie Resort

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever."
    ~ Tinkerbell

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you found that response to be nasty.

As some one who works in the parks, I hear this question repeatedly, and the person who usually asks it has no regard for who might overhear. I like to preserve the magic, both on and off stage. You can refer to the characters as costumes, people, whatever - for me, they are the characters regardless of what they are backstage. Mickey is Mickey, no matter where I see him and who he is friends with.

To me, it's a dumb question. Not that I'm not used to hearing those (again, I work in the parks), but because it violates the concept that Walt wanted - a place where magic happens.

So, I hate it when people spoil the magic.
    Exactly!! I hate it when people ask me questions that would ruin the magic about characters (in front of children, no less). Mickey is Mickey, not some person in a "costume" or a "suit".
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I actually found the comment to be a little bit snarky.

I understand wanting to preserve the magic, im a cast member too(ad/lib attractions)

But I think someone on a discussion board asking a question is a little bit different than a person asking the question while in line to meet the mouse himself.

We're pretty much all adults here and I don't see any harm in someone asking a question about the behind the scenes magic. For many guests that's the magic they really enjoy!
    Walt Disney World College Program:
    Upcoming: 08-27-07 to 01-04-08 Operations!!!

"Keep Moving Forward"-Walt Disney

There are younger people on the boards too.

Besides, it doesn't matter how old they are. Walt wanted the magic preserved.

I was actually using light sarcasm. I've responded to several posts of the same nature in the same manner (how does "Mickey" breathe?, Is "Mickey" really hot in his clothes? and the OP for those never took it the wrong way. This is the first time.

So I apologize if it was taken the wrong way. I suppose a lot of the people here on the boards just know me a bit better than some of the newer folks and they know I meant no harm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Exactly!! I hate it when people ask me questions that would ruin the magic about characters (in front of children, no less). Mickey is Mickey, not some person in a "costume" or a "suit".

As far as I'm concerned, the only person "inside" the character is.....the character!

I like my magic!
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I really respect the cast members who work as costumed entertainers! Several years ago when I was attending a seminar at WDW we were taken on a tour of all the backstage areas. While in the wardrobe area at the Magic Kingdom a cast member came in from their time on stage and started to remove her garment. Even though it was only in the lower 80's outside the young lady was dripping with sweat! Seeing her gave me a great appreciation for the fact that these entertainers do all that they do even when they may not feel like doing so!

Wait....

Going back, Arnold you originally asked the question about Mickey and Minnie.

Then like 3 posts later, you said you knew two women who were really tall and were friends with Brer Bear and Goofy (which are in the same height range).

Why did you even need to ask the question in the first place if you already knew the answer?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know, but I don't think sex matters. I think it just depends on your height.

Post Thanks / Like

attention everyone: get over your negativity!
    we are all just hear to help and share magic!

but anyway, I went on the Backstage Magic tour as soon as I turned 16 and anyone can 'play' anyone..if they fit the type. Ex: Minnie has to have feminie legs, so if you're a short male and have muscular legs, chances are you not gonna get the part! But, I do know Mickey...and lets just say the mouse is multi-gender!
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the only Disney character I could play would be Hercules
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Wait....

Going back, Arnold you originally asked the question about Mickey and Minnie.

Then like 3 posts later, you said you knew two women who were really tall and were friends with Brer Bear and Goofy (which are in the same height range).

Why did you even need to ask the question in the first place if you already knew the answer?
    I don't think the original poster meant that they literally knew a female who was playing Goofy and other tall characters, they just meant that they knew females who were that height. At least I interpreted it that way.

It isn't a "dumb" question when people are curious about what goes into bringing the characters to life. I can easily see how people would be curious about it, it's a very cool and fascinating thing for someone who doesn't get to see it on a daily basis.

I think "preserving the magic" means different things to different people. Some people consider it more magical to think of the characters as the characters and to other people it's very magical to realize that there might be a person who is able to make that character come to life for them. After being a CM the magic certainly wasn't ruined for me so I can see how it isn't any different for other people who are being realistic about the characters and want to know how the whole process works. Just because people don't always play pretend doesn't mean the magic isn't there for them. Just my opinion at least.

Although it is best to keep these sorts of questions relegated to private messages since not everyone is comfortable with them being discussed openly.
    I ran away from college and joined the Mickey Mouse Club!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: