Quantcast Ever stayed at FW without going to Parks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ever stayed at FW without going to Parks?

This October we are camping (pop-up) at FW for the first time (six nights). But we are not planning to tour the Disney theme parks this trip; Instead we are going to visit Universal Studios (2 days) and Sea World (1 day). My two teenagers (15 & 13) have never been to Universal and we though we ought to try it at least once. (We also need to save the $$$ by not buying multi-day park passes to WDW parks) I'm curious though. Has anybody else ever stayed at FW but not done the Disney Parks? I'm wondering if being so close to MK will make it unbearable, or if staying at FW will still give the trip that extra Disney magic.

I am considering buying tickets to MNNSHP (which we have done before and loved) the last night we are there, just to give the trip a great "Disney" finale.

We may also visit a water park one day, either BB, TL or maybe Aquatica, haven't decided which yet. Any thoughts?
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at FW but we always went to the parks, kids are at the age. But I must say there is a lot to do on the grounds. Remember you have horse back riding, a movie and sing along everynight, and bike riding lots of fun, plus I think they have hay rides in October if I remember correctly. Between the other parks and MNSSHP you will have a great time. Plus you should be able to hit your favorite rides during MNSSHP.
    We will also be there in October, I think it really is the best time for visiting.

Have Fun
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

I have read on other more active camping boards that people do this often. On our trip in Sept there will be a few days that we may not go into any of the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not going to the parks doesn't that make for an awefully expensive camping trip at $80 a night? Our local sites charge just under $10 to hook up for the night.

I guess my thought is if you're spending that kind of money you may as well have the conveniences of a full hotel.
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    If you're not going to the parks doesn't that make for an awefully expensive camping trip at $80 a night? Our local sites charge just under $10 to hook up for the night.

I guess my thought is if you're spending that kind of money you may as well have the conveniences of a full hotel.
    I have the conveniences of a full hotel and more. There is a ton of stuff to do at Fort Wilderness.

Post Thanks / Like

Camped and not gone in - no. Been to Disney grounds and not gone in a park - yes...and it was unbearable!

My son is now a CM and when we helped take him to Florida last month we stayed in his apt. and had to just walk around DD and watch fireworks. We did go to Trails End so we felt like we were almost "home" in Ft. W, but not nearly the same.

I could definitely camp there and not go in the parks, though. So much to do and see at FT W.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post

Our rate (AAA) is only $36.00 per night (plus tax) for a non-premium (pop-up) site. That's a little more than a state park campsite, but it comes with extra magic! And we love to camp, much better than a cheap hotel. Yes we could find another campground in the Orlando area that is less, but there is nothing under $10 down there. We though about staying at another campground (cost about $25), but I wanted to get a little Disney magic in on this trip, even if we weren't going to the parks.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at FWC in tents and a pop up without going to the parks. You really are going to parks, though. It's just like any stay for us, whether we go into the parks or not. I still feel immersed in Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back this eveing from a 4 nighter at FW. We did not do any of the Disney Parks, we did try Aquatica, which was great. We did the Chip-N-Dale movie, watched the fireworks down at the beach and spent alot of time at the pool. It was a wonderful time.
    Trips
    WDW-------1998 Offsite
    POR-------- 06/99
    ASMv------ 03/02
    CSR-------- 07/03
    ASMu------ 12/04
    ASMv------ 12/05
    CSR-------- 07/06
    FWH------- 12/06
    ASMv------ 03/07
    CSR-------- 07/07
    POP-------- 12/07
    POP-------- 01/08
    DCL-------- 04/08 DW 4 nights (1st cruise)
    FW -------- 07/08

Post Thanks / Like

Default stayed without doing parks

Yes, just got back from a 3 week stay, we have premium annual passes. Hubby & I went to MK one night for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern, did Haunted Mansion and left.

My sister came to do MK with her DD so I went for a few hrs on 2 days with them. Hubby went to AK on 2 days with me so I could take pictures we stayed about 3 hrs each day.

The Disney trip was a very big deal for my sisters family, before they left my neice (8)stated that her day at Fort Wilderness was her favorite part and her parents agreed! They plan to visit us again when we go for Halloween.

There have been many, many trips to the Fort when we didn't go to the parks for varied reasons but there is so much to do we didn't miss it. Touring the other resorts can fill up several days alone, Downtown Disney / PI and there is lots to do at the campground too. . .

Have a wonderful time whatever you decide to do.
    Bless you, Terri
    1979 to 1987 Offsite
    1988 to 1991 CB, DL & PO. Ft Wilderness campsite 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 2000 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 Xmas & New Year every year & at least 2 or more other visits per year. July & Oct 08

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: