Quantcast Caribbean Beach Resort Refurbishment News & Progress**Update 9/11/08**

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Caribbean Beach Resort Refurbishment News & Progress**Update 9/11/08**

9/11/08 | New Pool Complex Opens

The new pool complex opened to Guests on 9/10/08. This opening was only 5 days ahead of schedule, despite Resort Cast expecting the pool to re-open much further ahead of schedule. The area now features more intricate theming, a larger pool, zero entry, a second water slide, an in-ground hot tub, an in-ground cool spa, a larger lounge chair area, and a children's water playground.

7/29/08 |
    Pool Construction Likely Ahead of Schedule

Although a new completion date has not been announced, Resort Cast are reporting that the progress appears to be ahead of schedule. While reports tend to vary on projected completion dates, the censuses is that the project appears to be on-track to be complete Mid-Late August 2008.

7/18/08 | Further Confirmation on New Guest Room Theme

Further reports have emerged noting the Nemo theme having been applied to most if not all of the Guest rooms refurbished thus far. Although it has yet to be confirmed if all rooms will receive this retheming, it appears likely that they will.

7/14/08 | A New Guest Room Theme & Rumours of Family Suites

Sparse reports of Nemo themed border, bed comforters and drapes emerge. According to the reports, bed comforters and border with Finding Nemo characters interwoven in the designs and water themed curtains are being added to the rooms. The reports contend that this will be the state of all rooms after the refurbishment, but do not provide any support for such claims beyond pictures of a single room with such changes.

Rumours begin to emerge that the remaining rooms in Trinidad South will be converted to Moderate Family Suites after the current Guest room refurbishment. The theme of these Family Suites is also rumored to be Pirates of the Caribbean.

7/12/08 | A New Pool Area Continues to Take Form

Resurfacing of the new pool area appears to be nearing completion. Work continues on building the new fort, work on refurbishing the original fort continues as well. Several mulched beds with newly planted palm trees have appeared. A new pirate ship play area has been constructed.

6/20/08 | A New Pool Taking Form

A new pool basin has been constructed and work on constructing what appears to be a second larger fort begins.

6/17/08 | Guest Rooms to be Refreshed

Construction permits reveal plans to refurbish all of the Guest rooms except those in Trinidad south. The scope of the refurbishment includes, "reupholstery of select existing upholstered furniture, installation of new window treatments, refinishing of select existing items, assembly and installation of new FF&E {Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment}, installation of carpet and base".

4/15/08 | A Peak at the Future Pool

Concept art of the new Old Port Royale pool appears on the construction walls surrounding the area. The art depicts a larger fort with a more elaborate water slide and what appears to be a larger pool area. First signs of digging work in the area appear.

3/30/08 | Pool Area Rebuilding Begins

The Old Port Royale Feature Pool area has begun resurfacing several areas. Much of the area still remains dirt.

3/15/08 | Pool Area Razed

The Old Port Royale Feature Pool area has been razed. The main fort still remains standing among a dirt construction area.

1/8/08 | Old Port Royal Pool Closes

Old Port Royale Feature Pool closes for refurbishment. The refurbishment is scheduled to last through September 15, 2008. Children's waterslides are added to the Barbados and Jamaica village pools and enhanced children's recreation activities are offered during the refurbishment.
    Figment! aka Jason șoș
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Jason, thanks for the info and for confirming the rumors that were flying.... I'm glad to know the rooms will be getting such a cute update, as reports from some folks as to the condition of their rooms lately has been a bit discouraging, and we'll be there in December!!

Any word on the suites and when/if they might be completed? That might be fun to consider switching to....
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really get this re-theming. I mean, I get the part about Nemo being appealing to children and families... but what the heck does it have to do with the Caribbean, aside from the fact that the fish are colorful??? They are all Indo-Pacific and have no relation to the Caribbean. I guess they are eschewing the honeymoon/anniversary group for families again, just like with Pleasure Island. They must have had some massive research results come in recently....
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

nice to know, thank you!
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

An "Australian" story now set in a Caribbean setting...?? This is unreal. The CBR was such a beautiful resort. Nemo - and clown fish in general - have NOTHING to do with the Caribbean at all; from what I understand, the clown fish are only found near Australia. Can't Disney just leave well enough alone? I have a room booked for my daughter's honeymoon at the Caribbean; I may have to change the reservation because she doesn't care all that much for "Finding Nemo". It's just...wrong.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

We have a vacation booked for September, we chose CBR based on the theming. Would we be able to switch resorts without penalty, ie losing free dining, based on the change? We wanted the Caribbean theme, definitely NOT Nemo. Do we have any options?
    It seems almost like a bait and switch tactic, not that WDW is trying cheat anyone, but if they change the theming, they should give their customers a choice without penalty.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I don't really get this re-theming. I mean, I get the part about Nemo being appealing to children and families... but what the heck does it have to do with the Caribbean, aside from the fact that the fish are colorful??? They are all Indo-Pacific and have no relation to the Caribbean.
    Surely you aren't suggesting that Disney would push aside biological science for the sake of resort theming. Perhaps this is just a precursor to a resort name change....namely the all new Indo-Pacific-Caribbean Beach Resort with Nemo and Friends.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a good idea to give the theming of CBR a more "Disneyesque" character.

Any idea on the timing of the family suites?
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

There is no mention of the Pirates themed rooms??? Orlando Sentinel has a picture of what the room is to look like...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh...I wish I hadn't booked CBR for my next trip now. Any word on where the refurbisment of rooms stands? Will there still be non-refurbished rooms in late September?
    KUNGALOOSH FOREVER!!

"Will you stop this foolishness!!"
    "What kind of foolishness would you like to see?"

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

CBR was always our favorite resort, partly because it was also our first on-property vacation, but primarily because of the island theming. Since 1989, we've stayed at CBR at least 12 times, with the most memorable time being our family vacation in August 2001. This was also my Mother's last visit to the World (she passed away 5 months later).

Don't get me wrong; I like Nemo, but as others have already mentioned, I don't get the connection here. Why would Disney "mess with" the perfect theming in the rooms? Does this mean the island music, island names, and the island theming of Old Port Royale are the next things to go? I hope not. One can only hope that the "powers that be" will come to their senses and leave well enough alone.

Refurbishment is one thing, but adding Nemo doesn't fit. It seems to me that Nemo-themed rooms might be a better fit at ASMovies.

CBR has joined the list of my favorite WDW places that have been changed into something entirely different than the original intent or have disappeared forever. I may visit CBR on my next vacation, but I probably won't stay there.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Bluewater Beach, Wyevale, Ontario, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Count us as being another being extremly disapointed in the Nemo retheming of CBR. CBR has been our all time favorite of all the Disney resorts and now it seem they have gone and ruined it. Does Disney think that only families go to thier resorts? My DH and I have been going to Disney with out our DS (now 22yo) for the last 4 years. We've been undecided about what to do for vacation this year (due to a illness) and this just may decide us not going to Disney this year and going to the real Carabean instead. Ya I know it won't be Disney but my DH can't do any of his favorite rides this year so it maybe just as well. Did I say how disapointed I am with this refurbishment?

By the way, Jason I always look forward to your updates, Keep up the good work.
    Donna T
    Fall/2015 - ?,
    2/2011 - ASM
    1/2010 - CBR
    1/2009 - AKL, Cruise, Poly.
    12/2007 - DL
    10/2006 - POR,
    12/2005 - AKL,
    1&12/2004 - CBR,
    Many others
    Sept. 1981 - Disneyland Hotel Honeymoon,

Post Thanks / Like

The Trinidad South building rooms are scheduled to refurbished with PotC theming. This is the building that is furthest away from the central food court and closest to Pop Century.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates Jason!

For those of you who are worried, I saw pics of the Nemo rethemed rooms and they really aren't bad at all. I think they still maintained the Caribbean feel even with Nemo added in. If the links are allowed because they are from another website:

Beds
    Wallpaper border at ceiling

The rest of the room is essentially unchanged. The dresser is different but not Nemo themed and it appears that the fridge is built into it. The curtains are a heavy drapery material in a silvery blue with a woven pattern that resembles water - very pretty actually.

I also saw pics of the pool on another website and if you are familiar with how the pool used to look, it looks very much the same only now it's much larger. There's no Nemo here and the Pirates theming looks just like the old fortress that was in place previously. There was a significant change in the kiddie pool - that now has a kiddie size water park themed like a pirate ship.

I really liked the changes overall and wouldn't hesitate to stay at this resort again. Well, maybe not in a Pirate themed room - those look a bit over the top!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: