Quantcast Monorail Etiquette - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden's Dad View Post
    My mother would slap my face if I didn't give up my seat to a female. It is just the gentlemanly thing to do.
    And I'd slap you for thinking I need to sit anymore than you do. =) But that's just me.
    June 2007 - offsite *College Graduation & Birthday present!*
    December 2008 - Polynesian Resort *Honeymoon!*

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Where the stars at night are big and bright
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damhnade View Post
    And I'd slap you for thinking I need to sit anymore than you do. =) But that's just me.

Wow, I see a thread closing coming soon. I hope y'all realize that some of us were raised a certain way and that offering a seat to a woman or opening a door is never meant as an insult. It's something I would appreciate someone doing for my wife or mother. Two of the strongest people I've ever met. It boggles my mind to even think that this would be looked at as attempt to userp myself as a superior sex or person. I'm just trying to be nice! You don't want my seat, don't take it. But it hurts to see us so PC that every little action has to be disected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude. Now if I'm clearly more in need of a seat, that's different. But gender does not earn seat priority, for over thirty years now. Manners are updated with changes in social code, and women are no longer considered in need of deferential treatment. That's insulting. If you're giving up your seats to women, you're probably offending many of them. I do give up seats to anyone carrying small children or people clearly in need of seating.
    Due to the diversity of social ideology what you may consider rude is in fact not at all rude because of the lack of malicious intent.

I respect your opinion, you are entitled to it and welcome to express it but I disagree that it is rude for a person to offer a seat based on gender. Just the diversity of social idedologies, that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damhnade View Post
    Yikes!

As a supporter of third wave feminism, I feel woman's lib was more about socio-political and economic equality than a retaliation against men for the practice of traditional and harmless mores (IMHO, that includes showing deference to a woman by offering her a seat).

To me, Disney World is about celebrating magic, kindness and happiness. Sometimes that means accepting that people show kindness in ways different from your own. I personally would just take a seat.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I remember, just 5 years ago, getting on the monorail in August, 8 months pregnant, and had to stand. Not one person offered me a seat. Chivalry is definitely dead. I really could have used a seat.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a female and I've given up my seat to dad who was holding his sleeping child while the mother was carrying the stroller. He tried to get his wife to sit down but she wouldn't do it. She said she was too tired to hold the child and she would have to if she sat, so it was his turn to sit.

I don't think it's being rude by any means, nor is it just a female thing. It's a matter of being polite, because obviously he needed the seat more than I did. It's the people with small children who don't make THEM move for someone who needs the seat more. That's what drives me nuts. I don't care if the men sit there while I stand, but when parents don't move their small children out of a seat and into their laps that drive me up the wall.
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

Offering up your seat to another person (whether male or female, old or young) or holding a door for them, etc. has nothing to do with their "need" to sit or inability to stand, or whether they have more merit to sit than anyone else because of their gender or age or anything else.

It has nothing to do with need or merit. It's all about "GRACE". In other words, unmerited kindness. Simply being gracious and/or kind to others not because they are need it or deserve it, but just because the world would be a better place if everyone would think of others (and act accordingly) before thinking of themselves.

Of course this concept has become almost completely alien in today's totally selfish "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" culture, but that doesn't mean that it is wrong.

If someone offers you a seat, either take it, saying "thank you" or just say thank you and politely decline if you wish, but don't act offended, that only makes you look like an inconsiderate (synonym for donkey). And the world definitely does not need more of those.

Instead, look for someone else to extend the same sort of kindness to, whether or not they have done anything to deserve it or appear to have any need for it. And do it even if you think they might be ungrateful. It is your action of kindness that is the reward, not the response you may or may not get. It's true very few people in the world do this anymore, but you can make your little part of the world a better place if you do and your life will better because of it.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as saw 3 pages of responses I knew this was going to be who does and doesn't give up their seat to others.

I'll add my two cents. I am a young, able bodied woman. I will always give my seat up for a senior citizen. Whan I ride the "EL" in Chicago, I always get a seat for my Dad, even it means I stand the whole ride.

I think anyone offering their seat for another should be thought of as nothing more than a kind, thoughtful gesture.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

My mother would slap my face if I didn't give up my seat to a female. It is just the gentlemanly thing to do.
    Actually, it's the condescending thing to do. As if we are so much more weaker and frail that we can't stand for a 3 minute monorail ride.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Longhorn View Post
    Wow, I see a thread closing coming soon. I hope y'all realize that some of us were raised a certain way and that offering a seat to a woman or opening a door is never meant as an insult. It's something I would appreciate someone doing for my wife or mother. Two of the strongest people I've ever met. It boggles my mind to even think that this would be looked at as attempt to userp myself as a superior sex or person. I'm just trying to be nice! You don't want my seat, don't take it. But it hurts to see us so PC that every little action has to be disected.

If you are giving up a seat to "be nice", then I am assuming that you are offering your seat to any person who comes on the monorail - male or female. If you aren't, then you aren't being nice, you are being condescending!
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I don't see anything wrong with a man offering a seat to a woman. I don't like being condsidered as someone who needs special assistance however. I prefer to stand while I'm on the monorail. I like being able to see things out the window and it's easier to be standing when my stop comes up. If someone offers me a seat I am grateful for their kindness but I politely decline and hold onto the rails.

Joy

Post Thanks / Like

I offer a seat to whoever looks like they might need one, where ever we are. It's just being kind

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow never though I would get in trouble for trying to be polite. Oh Well not the first time won't be the last. Sorry but I will continue to open, or hold doors for ladies, offer my seat to them, etc... I like to think that chilvary is not dead, if I offend you for being polite then I apologize, but it won't stop me from doing so. I don't see how it is a matter of equal rights, I am not saying that you are incapable of standing because you are a woman just that if you would like to have a seat instead of standing then you are welcome to it is just being polite. I can't say I have had anyone get mad at me for doing any of those things at the time, but they may have been just quietly stewing over my male schovanistic attitude.

I agree with you Hayden's dad and I am raising my three sons to give up their seats for ladies and, shocking, open doors for them. There are many things our culture deems as correct/incorrect today that we don't adhere to, what's a few more.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgaribaldi View Post
    I offer a seat to whoever looks like they might need one, where ever we are. It's just being kind
    I completely agree. The situation should not be so complicated. Offer a seat to whoever appears to need it. That person should realize your gesture of kindness.

Perhaps the new rule of thumb should be to get on the monorail and have everbody stand!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guya103 View Post
    Perhaps the new rule of thumb should be to get on the monorail and have everbody stand!
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to get into the giving up a seat for a healthy female thing, but it does seem like "pregnancy narcolepsy" is a common condition on public transit in America.

By this, I mean the amazing ability for most men and woman on a train to suddenly "fall asleep" the moment a visibly pregnant woman enters the car, thus seemingly avoiding the need to give up a seat.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Wow, and this thread is proof of why I hate women's liberation.

I'm 23, and female. While I ALWAYS opt to stand, I do not take offense when someone offers me a seat.

It's not condescending, it's not chauvinistic, or anything else bad to a woman. It's not by any means to be insulting. If you find it insulting, then perhaps you need to stop thinking you are so much better than everyone else because that is how it comes off, especially after reading some of these responses.

It's called courtesy, respect, and generosity. It's called having manners and being raised to think of someone other than yourself, and I applaud those parents that are raising their kids to be such. I know my children (when I have one) will be true ladies and gentlemen.

Then again, I've always been told I am very old-fashioned so forgive my old 1950's soul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon1026 View Post
    Actually, it's the condescending thing to do. As if we are so much more weaker and frail that we can't stand for a 3 minute monorail ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon1026 View Post
    If you are giving up a seat to "be nice", then I am assuming that you are offering your seat to any person who comes on the monorail - male or female. If you aren't, then you aren't being nice, you are being condescending!

Absolutlely not condescending. No, not at all. I think the term "condescending" is totally incorrect for this situation. "Condescending" implies the person descends from a position of superiority down to a lower level. In the situation of offering the seat the person offering shows no condescention, is not rude, is not impolite. The person is merely acting from a different perspective of social ideology than yours. These are not bad people doing bad things. Don't try to make them something they're not.

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it and welcome to express it but I disagree with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!

How about if we return to the vomit discussion? Or the weather? Or, .....hey look! It's Cinderella!
    1976- WDW Contemporary Garden Wing
    1985- Grad Night WDW Magic Kingdom
    1986-1989 WDW and DL day trips
    Nov. 2007- WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2010 WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 WDW Pop Century & Villas at Wilderness Lodge

"Slap me thrice and hand me to me momma!"---- Mr. Gibbs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fysh View Post
    Absolutlely not condescending. No, not at all. I think the term "condescending" is totally incorrect for this situation. "Condescending" implies the person descends from a position of superiority down to a lower level. In the situation of offering the seat the person offering shows no condescention, is not rude, is not impolite. The person is merely acting from a different perspective of social ideology than yours. These are not bad people doing bad things. Don't try to make them something they're not.

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it and welcome to express it but I disagree with it.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. To give up a seat to male or female based on consideration of others and the assessment that you don't mind standing while others may need to sit, not at all condescending. But based solely on gender? Textbook condescension.

Women are not more needy of sitting positions than men, thank you. Truly chivalrous men don't put themselves above others, but act out of a sense of general kindness to others. If that's your motivation, applause to you. I've given up my seat to men holding children. Why not? This doesn't make me saintly or worthy of extra praise, or worth belittling. I'm truly sorry to all the people who give up seats who thought I was criticizing. I thought I made myself clear in earlier posts. Giving up seats for others is kind and generous, and certainly nice. But please don't put women in the position of inferiority, if that's your motivation. If it isn't, you have no need to take issue or offense.

con·de·scen·sion
    Pronunciation: \ˌkän-di-ˈsen(t)-shən\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Late Latin condescension-, condescensio, from condescendere
    Date: 1647
    1 : voluntary descent from one's rank or dignity in relations with an inferior
    2 : patronizing attitude or behavior
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: