Quantcast What traffic violation would you like to see ticketed by police more often? - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeRX View Post
    How dare someone suggest that you actually stop at a stop sign!
    Yes. I am a bad person!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeRX View Post
    Mindless? No, not at all. It's just that some posters have kind of self-centered arrogance that will not allow them to see that their actions are potentially harmful to others.
    I wholly disagree and sort of actually take offense to this statement! I understand how not stopping at a stop sign is dangerous. I do not see how sliding after looking both ways for clearance is dangerous, however. I do not think I am self-centered or arrogant in any way.
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Two things:

1. It should be legal in the US to re-end slow drivers in the left lane. I am sorry, but get out of the lane if you are not traveling with the fast traffic.

2. Police pulling you over for speeding when you follow them. When I was in court to fight the ticket, I told the judge I am in complete agreement for the ticket only if the officer, who was present, is ticketed and charged the same penalty with points. This would have cost him his car duty job and he would be stuck behind a desk. He dropped the ticket
    I dont believe that for a second.

Like it or not, police officers are exempt from traffic laws.

Post Thanks / Like

Default *Snicker*

Police pulling you over for speeding when you follow them. When I was in court to fight the ticket, I told the judge I am in complete agreement for the ticket only if the officer, who was present, is ticketed and charged the same penalty with points. This would have cost him his car duty job and he would be stuck behind a desk. He dropped the ticket
    I did this once, on my way home from college. Followed a state trooper who was doing about 90 on the I65. He didn't pull me over. I can't decide if it was the smartest or the dumbest thing I've ever done.
    1992...off site
    1996...Dixie Landings
    1997...off site
    2000...Dixie Landings
    2002...Wilderness Lodge
    2004...POR
    2004...POFQ
    2005...15th anniversary!
    2007...October trip with the DD's!
    2008.. October trip! Woooohoooo!!
    2010...April trip! DD's are marching in the MK!

War Eagle!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J9 View Post
    I wholly disagree and sort of actually take offense to this statement! I understand how not stopping at a stop sign is dangerous. I do not see how sliding after looking both ways for clearance is dangerous, however. I do not think I am self-centered or arrogant in any way.
    I think I just out this debate.
    PA does not have yellow paint or triangles in the state because if it was safe to "slide" then they would have put up a YEILD sign instead of a stop sign. So maybe they only use the eight sided red signs because they ran out of the yellow three sided signs.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    I think I just out this debate.
    PA does not have yellow paint or triangles in the state because if it was safe to "slide" then they would have put up a YEILD sign instead of a stop sign. So maybe they only use the eight sided red signs because they ran out of the yellow three sided signs.
    I give up...everyone is too stubborn on the stop sign issue.

I'm not trying to start this up again - I just took offense at being called self-centered and arrogant.
    Janine
    -----------------
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J9 View Post
    I give up...everyone is too stubborn on the stop sign issue.

I'm not trying to start this up again - I just took offense at being called self-centered and arrogant.
    I don't blame you for taking offense. I would have too.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDale2708 View Post
    Not coming to a complete stop before taking a right on red. I can't believe how many people I see blow right through without even hitting the brakes.
    I used to see something like this all the time--I just moved from Fairfield, CT where there are a lot of 4-way stop signs. I can't even tell you how many times I would be stopped at the line waiting my turn, when someone from behind comes flying out to my right and sneaks by to make a right hand turn!

Soarin' to tower: We are ready for takeoff!

1986 - Royal Plaza
    1987 - Disney Inn (Now SOG)
    1990 - CR
    1993 - POFQ
    1994, 1997 - Travelodge (now Best Western LBV)
    2001, 2002 - WL
    2004 - GF
    2007 - POR
    2008 - CSR
    2009 - Pop/Poly
    2010 - VWL
    2011 - Cruise on the Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Philadelphia PD start to ticket and tow those that park in middle of Broad Street and those that double park.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, y'all.

This thread went in a COMPLETELY different direction then I had planned it (I know it happens).

I don't want controversy, bickering, or hurt feelings to be a part of this thread. I would hate to see this thread closed, I just wanted to see if others had any peeves like I do.

Let's all get along, and drop the whole stop sign sliding issue.

I have found a new peeve! People not moving over into the empty lane when you are entering onto a highway. Here in Texas, especially on I-35, the entrance lanes are WAY short, which gives you about zero seconds to get onto the highway. There are usually 2 lanes, and some poo-head is always taking his Sunday drive on a Thursday in the right lane, while the left lane is completely open. You are coming along and need to enter the highway, and he just poo's right along, usually slowing down. Come on dude, move over! I understand its a courtesy and not a law, but really!!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDudet View Post
    I have found a new peeve! People not moving over into the empty lane when you are entering onto a highway. Here in Texas, especially on I-35, the entrance lanes are WAY short, which gives you about zero seconds to get onto the highway. There are usually 2 lanes, and some poo-head is always taking his Sunday drive on a Thursday in the right lane, while the left lane is completely open. You are coming along and need to enter the highway, and he just poo's right along, usually slowing down. Come on dude, move over! I understand its a courtesy and not a law, but really!!
    I am with ya on this one!!!

Last week I was trying to merge onto the highway - the only other car in sight was the one right next to me. Why? There's a whole highway here - two other empty lanes. At least, speed up so I can get behind you. No? Ok, I'll just stop since I am out of ramp and wait for you to get out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

How about the people who are petrifed of driving but do it anyway. You know the ones, you see them puttering down the highway "safely driving 20 MPH UNDER the speed limit! white knuckled not looking left or right, staring bug eyed straight ahead, possibly taking up two lanes because they need to make sure no one drives next to them or passes them. ( too distracting)
    They stop 20 feet from the stop line. Usually they can't see over the steering wheel to begin with.
    They pull into a parking lot and take 20 tries to pull STRAIGHT IN!! Don't even get me started on them backing out of said parking spot! Then the almost take out the pedestrians in the cross walk and are oblivious to the yelling and gesturing going on around them!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I'd like to see Philadelphia PD start to ticket and tow those that park in middle of Broad Street and those that double park.
    This is SOOOO annoying! (Although I've noticed a lot of the middle-of-the-street parkers are usually in front of funeral homes when there are services going on....I guess I can excuse that.)

But for the most part....I hate Broad Street and loathe driving it every day. I can't stand when people go real slow and then pop on the hazards when they could have just as easily pulled into the parking lane instead of blocking a traffic lane. And don't even get me started on the dummies who turn left on the red lights. I must see at least 5 cars do that each trip!
    Janine
    -----------------

Post Thanks / Like

OKAY, okay! Again I apologise for starting the whole stop sign thingy!

Boy, am I glad I didn't say anything about turning left directly into the right lane, or turning right into the left lane!

Whew!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    I dont believe that for a second.

Like it or not, police officers are exempt from traffic laws.
    Police are NOT exempt from traffic laws. They must follow the same rules of the road as everyone else. If they cause an accident, they are at fault and will be charged. It is difficult to charge a police officer for traffic offenses, since they work alone.

It happened just recently here in Ontario when an Ontario Provincial Police officer was pulled over for travelling more than 50 km/h over the speed limit - IN HIS CRUISER!!! He was charged under the new laws regarding street racing and the cruiser was impounded. Huge fine, lots of points, license suspended, court appearance.

Having said that, the only traffic law emergency vehicles are allowed to break is the speed limit, only while responding to an emergency call with lights and siren on and only if traffic and road conditions permit. If they cause an accident while doing this, they will be charged. It has happened.

To grind up and put more salt into an old wound, emergency responders must also come to a complete stop at all stop signs and red lights and proceed through only when the way is clear and must have lights and sirens activated while doing so.

If you feel strongly enough about the issue and you see this behaviour, take down the vehicle number and time and date and report it to the police. Follow it up with a call to your local councillor/alderman/mayor/police chief/fire chief.

Over the past few years, an average of 26 firefighters have died in North America each year in traffic mishaps. Excessive speed, failure to stop at stop signs/red lights (Oops, there I go again! ) and failure to wear seatbelts have been the main contributing factors.

So. One last thing: if you see an emergency vehicle coming up behind you, or toward you, you MUST pull to the side and come to a COMPLETE stop. What if you roll into the middle of an intersection they want to turn at? Again, it has happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Another pet peeve I have is people who stop in the line of traffic and Block the entry/exit to other roads. there is a stop light on one road and the entrance to my street is about 75 feet up from the stop light. WHY do people insist on pulling up to the bumper of the car in front of them and blocking the entry to my street???
    that way no one can go past me because I have to stop and wait for the light to change in order to turn. This especially burns me because I live around the corner from the Hospital and emergency vehicles can't get through either without fancy manuvering from the yahoo who thought they would make sure that no one snuck out of the side street in front of them!!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Police are NOT exempt from traffic laws. They must follow the same rules of the road as everyone else. If they cause an accident, they are at fault and will be charged. It is difficult to charge a police officer for traffic offenses, since they work alone.

It happened just recently here in Ontario when an Ontario Provincial Police officer was pulled over for travelling more than 50 km/h over the speed limit - IN HIS CRUISER!!! He was charged under the new laws regarding street racing and the cruiser was impounded. Huge fine, lots of points, license suspended, court appearance.

Having said that, the only traffic law emergency vehicles are allowed to break is the speed limit, only while responding to an emergency call with lights and siren on and only if traffic and road conditions permit. If they cause an accident while doing this, they will be charged. It has happened.

To grind up and put more salt into an old wound, emergency responders must also come to a complete stop at all stop signs and red lights and proceed through only when the way is clear and must have lights and sirens activated while doing so.

If you feel strongly enough about the issue and you see this behaviour, take down the vehicle number and time and date and report it to the police. Follow it up with a call to your local councillor/alderman/mayor/police chief/fire chief.

Over the past few years, an average of 26 firefighters have died in North America each year in traffic mishaps. Excessive speed, failure to stop at stop signs/red lights (Oops, there I go again! ) and failure to wear seatbelts have been the main contributing factors.

So. One last thing: if you see an emergency vehicle coming up behind you, or toward you, you MUST pull to the side and come to a COMPLETE stop. What if you roll into the middle of an intersection they want to turn at? Again, it has happened.
    I know I must be wrong since I have been a police officer for the last decade and a half. As long as they are on duty, they are exempt from traffic laws. Like it or not.

There is no requirement to use lights and sirens. (For instance, responding to a bank robbery in progress- when nearing the location, officers routinely turn off their lights and sirens so they dont tip off the bad guys that they are arriving.)

Running stop signs, speeding, going the wrong way down one way streets, driving without headlights, etc....dont have to do it. The only stipulation is that they have to use due diligence when operating a police car in that manner or, of course, they will pay the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    I know I must be wrong since I have been a police officer for the last decade and a half. As long as they are on duty, they are exempt from traffic laws. Like it or not.

There is no requirement to use lights and sirens. (For instance, responding to a bank robbery in progress- when nearing the location, officers routinely turn off their lights and sirens so they dont tip off the bad guys that they are arriving.)

Running stop signs, speeding, going the wrong way down one way streets, driving without headlights, etc....dont have to do it. The only stipulation is that they have to use due diligence when operating a police car in that manner or, of course, they will pay the price.
    Maybe laws are different in Canada?

Post Thanks / Like

As a police officer for 34 years I agree with all of your complaints. I fly a desk now and every day when I get off work I see the exact violations that you have been talking about and say to myself, Where is a Cop when you need one.

In their defense I must say that when I am at my desk I hear our officers being dispatched to call after call and we have about 8 officers on the road at a given time. There is just not enough time to devote to traffic related issues when you are going to fights, alarms sounding, shoplifting, and other non- traffic issues.

I dont think that there is a magic cure.

I feel your pain and understand

Just say to yourselves, There's no place like disneyworld, There's no place like disney world.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: