Quantcast Trams?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Trams?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trams?

I haven't been to FW in many years, but my family used to camp there all the time. I have noticed many mentions of buses...are there any trams any more? I remember taking the boat back from MK in the evening and large trams making the stops at the loops. I always liked them better than regular buses...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trams

Nope. No trams. Just the buses, and unfortunately, in February, what used to be a two bus loop is now a one bus loop, so purple is all purple, going both ways, and if you miss the bus you have to wait for it to finish the 45 min. that it takes for it to finish it's route. It is completely frustrating. I complained to Disney about how irrate we were all about it and it seems that the answer is to just rent a golf cart, so apparently they cut costs on buses, in hopes that instead of spending money on that bus, they are making money off of the golf carts. Good for them, harder for us! That is the only thing I don't like about Fort wilderness is that to get anywhere in the park you either need a golf cart or a bus and I feel the golf carts are going to go up in price, now that gas has risen. I meant that they will raise the price in the carts because they want more help running their bus system, prob the same reason why they cut out some of the buses altogether.

SFTrny Guest

Ummm...while there is probably an indirect connection between the price of gas and the price of everrthing else...the golf carts are electric.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been getting the cart the last few years for just that reason we don't want to wait for the bus and then wait for the crowds it's bad enough waiting for the ones that go to the parks we don't want to also wait on the internal buses also plus we like to cruise the camp looking at the other rigs
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort
    oct. 08-Fort

Post Thanks / Like

We were told many years ago that the trams went to the other parks from the parking lot to bring guest to the gates. That is why they are no longer at Ft. Wilderness.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember those from when I was younger, but had forgot them until I read this post. Thanks for bringing back those memories
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibrowse17 View Post
    I remember those from when I was younger, but had forgot them until I read this post. Thanks for bringing back those memories
    Yep. I remember the trams, too. They were similar to the parking lot trams seen today at all the parks, but they were somehow more "down home" and friendly.

And before the trams (dating myself here ) were the steam trains that circled the campground loops. They were really fun, but not very efficient for moving lots of people. You can still find old trestles and roadbeds left over from the trains. Did you ever wonder about the names "Settlement Depot" and "Outpost Depot"? They were both once the train depots at either end of the campground resort.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    And before the trams (dating myself here ) were the steam trains that circled the campground loops.
    I remember the trains from my very first camping trip to Disney World. Alas, I never got to ride on one before they were "retired"!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid, I loved riding the trams around Fort Wilderness. I was 8+ when I was allowed to ride them by myself. (Times have changed...)

Anyways, it was a great adventure. In the afternoons when my younger brothers were sleeping, I would plot out a course and head out. A typical scenario for me was to hop the tram around Fort Wilderness, ride the boat to the Contemporary. There I would play a few games in the game room then head up to catch the monorail. I usually would ride the circle and get off at the TTC and hop the other monorail to Epcot. After doing the full loop, I would get off at the TTC and ride the boat over to the MK, and then catch the smaller boat back to FW and finally a tram back to our loop.

I look back and think its crazy I did that as an 8 yr old, but it sure was an adventure. It was a sense of freedom that today's 8 yr olds probably don't get. Can't say I will let mine do that when she is 8!

Thanks for causing me to relive those great memories!!
    **Last Visits**

Feb 23 Fort Wilderness
    Nov 22 Hilton Tuscany Village (During Hurricane)
    Sep 22 Dolphin Hotel
    May 22 Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort

**Scheduled Visits**

Mar 23 Undecided
    Jun 23 Fort Wilderness

Twitter: MouseFacts

SFTrny Guest

I'd love to see a steam train installed that runs through FW, over to WL, and on to the TTC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    And before the trams were the steam trains that circled the campground loops. They were really fun, but not very efficient for moving lots of people. You can still find old trestles and roadbeds left over from the trains. Did you ever wonder about the names "Settlement Depot" and "Outpost Depot"? They were both once the train depots at either end of the campground resort.
    I've got a couple of photos of the FW steam train; one from a car right behind the cab looking into the cab and one of the train at one of the depots (I think it was the outpost depot). Those were from DW and my honemoon trip in '76. I've read somewhere that the tracks were put in rather hurriedly and caused a lot of problems. It would be nice to have that added attraction back at FW though.

Oddly enough, I don't remember the trams, although I'm sure we rode them.

On a completely unrelated note, I still have the ticket stubs from seeing Hoop-de-Do in '76. We thought we were being extravagent paying $12.50 apiece for them.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember back in early 80's probably, camping with my family in a pop up at FW. I remember the tram cars vivedly. They were fun to ride as a kid. I also kinda remember some sort of tree houses with pop guns mounted in them that kids could climb up into and play. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm sadened to hear that the trams are gone though. Someday We'll stay there again.
    12-AKV (Jun)
    11-BLT (Nov)
    10-AKV (Jun) BLT (Nov)
    09-New DVC member @BLT
    09-SSR ( Dec)
    08-POFQ (Halloween)
    07-AS Music (Halloween)
    06-AS Movies (Halloween)
    05-AS Movies (Apr)
    01-2003 Off Site
    00-CS (5 year anniversary)
    97-AS Sports (friends wedding)