Quantcast Time for a character overhaul - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that there needs to be some more characters out. Especially the charcter meals. Why not do a meal for Adventurers with Hercules, Peter Pan, Aladdin, and Robin Hood. There is a lot of potential that they are not taking advantage of.

As far as people not recognizing the characters that happens now. We were standing in line to see Capt. Hook and Mr Smee and the lady behind us insisted that it was Capt Hook and Doc. Doc?? We finally had to correct her on that one. But you could bring out the seven dwarves more often most everyone recognizes them and they have the costumes they come out for some of the parties. Why not bring out Abu more than at the parties.

Now granted you probably couldn't use charcters say from The Great Mouse Detective, or The Black Cauldron, but you could do the Rescuers, or Hercules, or The Sword and the Stone (at least Merlin would be fairly recognizeable), Robin Hood, etc...

At least they are working on bringing our Tinkerbell it's a start.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alandisney View Post
    I agree with the OP. If the average tourist doesn't know who the characters are and lines up anyways for pictures and autographs then why does it matter who Disney has out? Disney says they put out the more popular characters because that's who the tourists know, but the average tourist doesn't know the difference between Pluto and Goofy.

I like seeing the popular characters but why does Disney put them everywhere? An example-Animal Kingdom. You watch Jammin Jungle Parade and Mickey goes by on his float then you walk out to leave. 3 minutes later you are in the Oasis and poof there is Mickey and the gang out for pictures and they're in totally different outfits. For all the talk of character integrity, I think that really defeats it. Its not good when you hear children saying when they see Mickey "they have lots of Mickey's"

I was eating at Liberty Tree Tavern one day and Goofy was coming to my table and then Goofy was also outside doing Spectromagic. and the kids were looking out the window looking so confused...
    My Next Trip To WDW: June 15th!!!

I Love Gaston!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gastonsgirl View Post
    I was eating at Liberty Tree Tavern one day and Goofy was coming to my table and then Goofy was also outside doing Spectromagic. and the kids were looking out the window looking so confused...
    That should not have happened. The characters in LTT are supposed to step off during Spectro, for that exact reason.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of confusing Marie with Hello Kitty, when we were at Animal Kingdom, all my kids thought that Stanley was Charlie Brown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gastonsgirl View Post
    We walked by a restaurant where you could see Chip and Dale inside, then a minute later we saw Chip and Dale again at a character meet. My daughter asked me how they got there ahead of us.
    I just think some characters are over-used.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice for them to change up the characters some. I also wish that they had less of the TV show characters and more from the movies.

For those of that are into finding characters, getting pictures and autographs....maybe Disney should have a tour where you have a special meet n greet with rare characters. I'd pay money to do that tour if I could get pictures with Gaston, Hades, Marie, etc. Those that are rare.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    It would be nice for them to change up the characters some. I also wish that they had less of the TV show characters and more from the movies.

For those of that are into finding characters, getting pictures and autographs....maybe Disney should have a tour where you have a special meet n greet with rare characters. I'd pay money to do that tour if I could get pictures with Gaston, Hades, Marie, etc. Those that are rare.

I like that idea.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnetteFan View Post
    Robin Hood is a training character actually, he's also a spare character for when there are extra people on the schedule with nothing to do.

Guests at Disney World will stand in line to see anyone. If someone dressed up as a big furry churro and signed autographs people would line up. But on the other hand people would be annoyed if Mickey wasn't available because they needed someone to dress as that big furry churro.

I think Disney does take into account their repeat visitors. There are plenty of people who would be pretty upset if they went to MNSSHP and and met Tarzan and Jane and then went back the next year to find they weren't there when they were expecting them.

I visit the parks very often and I'd be dissapointed if one day Chip'n'Dale couldn't be found anywhere even if I have met them a million times before. Meeting the characters is new and different everytime even if it's the same character.
    I think your missing the point here. I am not sure I have communicated this clear enough. I am not talking about the uber popular characters. I am strictly talking about the lesser knowns.
    And sure they may be dissapointed not to see Tarzan and Jane but if they tunred the corner where Tarzan and Jane were and there stood the Rescuers I think they would be twice as pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember guys, we all go to WDW parks regularly, and we all know where to go to see the characters. However, for the fans who are visiting WDW parks for the first time, it is the Disney favs such as Chip and Dale, Minnie, Mickey, Goofey and Pluto that they want to see. I never get too tired of seeing the favs. Perhaps the answer is to showcase the hard-to-find Disney characters in a unique setting or scavenger hunt game at the parks. Just an idea.
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Stephanie View Post
    Remember guys, we all go to WDW parks regularly, and we all know where to go to see the characters. However, for the fans who are visiting WDW parks for the first time, it is the Disney favs such as Chip and Dale, Minnie, Mickey, Goofey and Pluto that they want to see. I never get too tired of seeing the favs. Perhaps the answer is to showcase the hard-to-find Disney characters in a unique setting or scavenger hunt game at the parks. Just an idea.
    Once again (and I am trying not to be snippy) I am not talking about the Disney favs....and I never have mentioned changing them in my posts. I know that there are more first time visitors than regulars, and as a regular I want to see Donald every time, multiple times! I do not however have to see Gephetto 4 times. I do not think its brain surgery. Replace some of the obscure characters with other obscure characters. I mean I find it irritating that we all can list whose going to be at MNSSHP every year. Should that not be a suprise, with a few new treats every year? They have had the same set of villans out every year for the last few years. Frollo could be replaced for a year or so and Shan-Yu could replace him. Variety is the spice of life!
    Another good idea about the scavenger hunt. I have often thought about a rare character weekend.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Actually....

64% of Disney's Guests are repeat visitors.

Just a clarification.

I agree there should be a rotation to them. Obviously, removing any of the Fab 5 or even the extended Fab 7 would be disaterous.

But I would be nice to see some different people out. I mean this years Flower and Garden had NO good characters. They took out all of the specials like Francis and Esmerelda. There wasn't a point in going for Characters in Bloom as there weren't any characters.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it just depends on the individual repeat visitor, I get what everyone is saying but a lot of repeat visitors like consistency. I think a lot of people come back to events like MNSSHP or MVMCP because they liked getting to see the characters that they saw the last time they went. At the PPP I got to see Flounder and Sebastian which was really awesome, I'd be dissapointed if I went back and they were replaced by a rare character that I had no interest in like Darkwing Duck. I think for the average visitor and even the average repeat visitor it isn't so much the rareness of the character they're seeking, it's the character themselves and the interest they have in that character not just the fact that they've never seen the character before. I've never met Esmeralda before but I'd still rather see Mary Poppins for the 14th time simply because I actually care about her and am familar with her as opposed to just meeting Esmeralda who I'm not as familar with just for the sake of meeting a new character. Does that make more sense?
    I ran away from college and joined the Mickey Mouse Club!

Post Thanks / Like

It is our first time at the MNSSHP... I am happy to see whoever I can see!
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    As you all know and understand our family loves "angling" for characters. We have met as many as 100+ on one single visit. Now I do not want this to sound like a complaint but don't you think its time for a character overhaul?

I love when people post their lists on here of the characters they see when they are in the World. But (I know your not supposed to start a sentance with but) I can guess about 90% of the characters who will be on it. It seems like they are in a rut.

I think its time they start revolving some of the lesser known characters in a rotation. I realize that the most popular characters will be out all the time. I understand the big 5, and princesses, but how about giving us a little more variety?

I have bit my tounge from posting this many times because I know some people cannot afford to go as often as we do. But what about those of us who go often? I wish they would throw us some more obscure characters more often. I mean when is the last time the three little pigs were out? The MNSSHP has had the same characters with few exceptions for 5 years.

Anyways I am not trying to cause a fuss and I appreciate the rare characters we get to see, but I just know if things remain like they are one year we are not going to see anyone new, and that will break our hearts.

I have suggested on another sites forum (I was blasted) and in letter form to Disney our desire for them to switch up some characters. Like replace some of the teardrop characters with other rare characters. I mean how popoular is Fowlfellow? Yet we see him just about every year. Gideon, Timon, Rafiki, Mr Penguin, Gaphetto, and etc... could they not bring out some others instead every so often? Sorry to sound negative we will love every minute in spite of the lack of rarities but I do think its time for some oldies to reappear!

No flames here. I agree 100%! We have been fortunate to travel to WDW at least once a year and we love to see the obscure characters. My kids have all of the traditional characters autographs, and although, we love to see them again, it is an adventure to find new ones.

Marie is a must have for my DD, and we have yet to see her. Abu would have been great to see! How about Giselle? You can't tell me that she wouldn't be popular. Remy and Emile had a brief stint @ DHS, but where are they now?

These are just a few that we would like to see!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWhirled View Post
    Marie is a must have for my DD, and we have yet to see her. Abu would have been great to see! How about Giselle? You can't tell me that she wouldn't be popular. Remy and Emile had a brief stint @ DHS, but where are they now?

These are just a few that we would like to see!
    Marie- Usually in France
    Abu- just mnsshp, mvmcp, and P&P
    Giselle- is not out (was just in pre-parade for Enchanted release)
    Remy and Emile- currently not out anywhere
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would have rare characters out when the special edition DVD's are released.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it just depends on the individual repeat visitor, I get what everyone is saying but a lot of repeat visitors like consistency. I think a lot of people come back to events like MNSSHP or MVMCP because they liked getting to see the characters that they saw the last time they went. At the PPP I got to see Flounder and Sebastian which was really awesome, I'd be dissapointed if I went back and they were replaced by a rare character that I had no interest in like Darkwing Duck. I think for the average visitor and even the average repeat visitor it isn't so much the rareness of the character they're seeking, it's the character themselves and the interest they have in that character not just the fact that they've never seen the character before. I've never met Esmeralda before but I'd still rather see Mary Poppins for the 14th time simply because I actually care about her and am familar with her as opposed to just meeting Esmeralda who I'm not as familar with just for the sake of meeting a new character. Does that make more sense?
    Yes, I I see your poinmt but I do not agree with you. I do not think thats a correct assumption. But even if you were somewhat correct, would you rather see Mary Poppins 3 times in a week or Esmerelda once and Mary Poppins 2 times in a week? Most famalies come in for more than 4 days. They will have the oprotunity to go to the Magic Kingdom town square multiple times and every time the same characers will be there. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be against variety but all are welcome to their own opinion.
    They have about 65 different not including the characters out for meet n greets every day. This does not include repeats. These 65 have been relativly the same for 5 years. Anyways....

Post Thanks / Like

I invite everyone to work in entertainment and attempt to create a schedule for all these rare characters they'd like to see out. And a budget.
    I ran away from college and joined the Mickey Mouse Club!

Post Thanks / Like

I invite everyone to work in entertainment and attempt to create a schedule for all these rare characters they'd like to see out. And a budget.
    I think that Greenlawler was acknowledging that it would take some logistical planning to rotate more characters, but at the same time expressing his desire to see it done.
    Not necessarily more money if Gepetto comes out 1 less time and a different character comes out in place of....

I love Mary Poppins and the Fab 5 just as much as the next person, but it does get anti-climatic when everytime you walk into Town Square there are the same characters there.
    IMHO, it dampens the magic a bit because of that "Oh, we already got their autographs earlier/yesterday..." thought that pops into my head or that DD says. On the occasions that a different character has been in Town Square (like Daisy Duck on our last trip or Cruella Deville on our first trip) it was exciting and created a buzz and we just HAD to get in line and get pics and autographs.

I think that occasionally rotating in some different characters would keep the magic alive and pulsing for guests; whether they be repeat guests or guests who are staying for 8 days and have already been through the parks a few times during the same trip.....
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I kinda already addressed that issue in one of my earlier replies. It doesn't make a different cost-wise if Mickey is out opposed to Hades. The pay rate per hour is still the same. The costumes already exist.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: