Quantcast Is this really offensive?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this really offensive?

Ok, so last September when we were there, we were standing in line for Soarin. There was an older couple in front of us and a few people up there was a teenage girl probably 16 or so with a black t-shirt and in pink writing it said "Save the ta-ta's" and a pink breast cancer ribbon on it. Well this woman was utterly insulted by this shirt and wouldn't stop talking about it to her husband for the 25 or so minutes that we stood in line. As someone who lost a mother at the entirely too young age of 40 to breast cancer, I thought it was kind of cute. Ok, now I do understand what it means, but seriously, if she was worried about younger kids, would most young kids even know what that means? I mean I don't think it's really a well known slang, but I would think young kids wouldn't really get it. I mean there are shirts out there that talk about Breast cancer, and being a survivor, I would think they would know the word breast first before the word ta-ta. I mean there are a ton of songs out there where they use both of those words in them constantly. Anyway, she just kept going on and on about it, but I didn't really think it was that big of a deal. Am I wrong?
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a very sensitive topic without a doubt, but personally I don't see anything wrong with what the shirt said. It was trying to put a smile on your face but also give a message. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Chris
    Remembering the Magic:
    March 1997 - Off site
    March 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2007 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach Resort
    September 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

UP NEXT::
    October 2009//MNSSHP//CSR!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen that t-shirt before and I really like it. I think because it is funny it will get more people involved in breast cancer awareness.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I think the t-shirt is great! Surely the people who are offended can think of something more important to worry about. The message on the shirt was a positive one and I commend anyone who's involved in raising awareness.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

While I have not seen the t-Shirt, I have seen the bumper sticker.
    While it is not something I would wear, I do not have a problem with others wearing it.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me, but it has been an issue before - I seem to remember a group of girls who had the same or similar shirt for sale and were banned from selling it and there was also a news story about a girl who wore this shirt to school and was sent home.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it would raise breast cancer awareness among the younger, teenage crowd being worded the way it is. That's a good thing

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Here's my take on it ....

Do I find it offensive? No, not really. But it is tasteless, and I just don't understand why it's necessary to be tacky in order to raise awareness for breast cancer.

I actually find it doubly tasteless to wear a shirt like that in Disney World with so many kids around. I really don't feel like standing in line with my DD6 and having to answer the question, "Daddy, what are ta-tas?"
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it was the slang they were upset about and not the message itself. I think that awareness is so important that if they choose to get out the message with slang so be it.
    Coreen

Post Thanks / Like

lol..i have never seen the shirt personally..but that is an awesome way/use of words to help support breast cancer awareness...i find nothing wrong with it at all!!!!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

To tell the truth, I find it rather amusing. I first saw that t-shirt at last year's Revlon Run/Walk for Women's Cancers, and everyone adored it. When you're in the trenches, a little humor never hurts.

I've seen far tackier t-shirts around (even at WDW); at least this one was for a good cause.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I really don't feel like standing in line with my DD6 and having to answer the question, "Daddy, what are ta-tas?"
    Ian, you could always tell her they're trying to save the cars .
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here's my take on it ....

Do I find it offensive? No, not really. But it is tasteless, and I just don't understand why it's necessary to be tacky in order to raise awareness for breast cancer.

I actually find it doubly tasteless to wear a shirt like that in Disney World with so many kids around. I really don't feel like standing in line with my DD6 and having to answer the question, "Daddy, what are ta-tas?"

I also agree that it is tacky and not in the best of taste, especially worn at WDW. However, for the offended party to carry on for 25 minutes about it was also tacky. If they felt that strongly about it then they should have VERY nicely told the wearer that they found it offensive and then let it go. Or better yet, they should have gone into the nearest gift shop (you know there is one within 5 feet of any location in WDW anyway) and buy the offender a nice Disney shirt and give it to the offender as a gift and ask her to consider going into a restroom and changing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Ian, you could always tell her they're trying to save the cars .
    Sorry for serial posting but I missed this the first time. I had no idea there had ever been a car company by this name!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet822 View Post
    I think that it would raise breast cancer awareness among the younger, teenage crowd being worded the way it is. That's a good thing
    My thoughts exactly. I first saw a bumper magnet like this at WDW. It absolutely caught my attention and lead to a conversation with my DDs(10&16) about breast cancer that we otherwise would not have had.
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought it meant good bye.

Ta ta for now!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

While it doesn't offend me and I think it's cute and a modern way to raise awareness, I can see how it could offend more sensitive people. Especially those type of people that can be offended by almost anything and love to rail on and on about things.

I do agree though that it could start an interesting conversation with younger children on what "ta-tas" are
    But my DD8 knows what breasts are and I would just explain that it's a slang word for breasts that some people use. It's way better than some of the other slang that is used for that same body part!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I realize it's not like the end of the world or anything, but I just don't get the need for the coarseness of the shirt. I actually find that it cheapens the cause to a degree.

Why not just make a nice, tasteful shirt that says, "Breast Cancer Awareness" on it or something? What do you gain by adding the tasteless slang to the shirt?

I dunno ... I find this to be just another part of the overall coarsening of our society. I just don't see the benefit ... keep it clean and more people will be interested.

Look at that woman that was offended. Did the shirt do anything to help her become more interested in fighting breast cancer? A potentially offensive shirt alienates some people, while a nice, tasteful shirt is going to help your cause across the board.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good answer, Jeannie, I liked it!

If my kid asked me that, I would just say what tatas are or point and that would be the end of that. I have three girls and I really don't want them asking their friends, I think it also opens up conversation on things with your kids, maybe Disney isn't the best place for it though LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I agee with you, Ian, to a point. Our society is becoming more "accepting" to bluntness. And yes, their message could have been stated in a more simplistic manner. However, many times people find, simplicity boreing. I do. Besides, what you and others may feel as tastelessness of the shirt actually accomplished what they were out to do. It started a discussion about breast cancer. and though it was more about the shirt, it also made you aware of the cause, good, bad or indifferent.

Would I wear it, probably not. I don't really find it offensive either. But would I wear a boreing shirt about breast cancer, no to that one also. If I had to choose, I would wear the "ta-ta's" first.
    Last edited by princessjojo; 05-22-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: clairification of info.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: