Quantcast Changes: Airline Check-in At Resorts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1) The airline check-in at resorts is now limited to one bag per guest.
    2) This is due to airline charges for more than one bag.
    3) The check-in company (BAGS, Inc) can't collect the charges.
    4) If you want more checked luggage, you must take them to airport and check them.

NOTE: It was discussed today that the airline check-in at WDW resorts will no longer accept ANY checked luggage for American Airlines, since the airline will charge $15 for the first checked bag.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like there's going to be lots more luggage on the buses which will slow down the process of disembarking at each airport location.

These airline changes will make it difficult to continue to offer this as a service!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down How stupid can they get?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    NOTE: It was discussed today that the airline check-in at WDW resorts will no longer accept ANY checked luggage for American Airlines, since the airline will charge $15 for the first checked bag.
    Are they nuts? Have they totally lost their senses?

Looks to me like AA is trying very hard to kill off their own once-proud largest airline in the country, one passenger at a time.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Did a little more research on this... here's what CNN has (emphasis added):

FORT WORTH — American Airlines, hit hard by escalating fuel prices, said Wednesday passengers will be hit with fees to check any bag, starting with tickets purchased after June 15.

American and its American Eagle subsidiary will also trim their fleets, cut their flight schedules and lay off workers in the coming months.

Speaking at the annual meeting of AMR Corporation, the parent company of both airlines, chairman, president and CEO Gerard Arpey said travelers would face a $15 charge for the first piece of luggage checked, the first time any major domestic airline has used this method to increase revenue.

Delta doesn't plan to match American's fee for the first checked bag, airline spokeswoman Betsy Talton said.

"These are difficult but necessary steps," Arpey said, noting that rising oil prices have inflated the airline's annual fuel costs by nearly $3 billiion since the start of the year.

American recently instituted a $25 fee for second bags checked after a free first bag. Arpey said other passenger fees will be increased, including surcharges for pets and for unaccompanied minors.

Also on Wednesday, Arpey said AMR planned to cut its domestic capacity by up to 12 percent by retiring 40 to 45 American Airlines jets and 30 to 35 American Eagle aircraft starting in the fourth quarter. Some of the planes will be retired; others will be parked at a desert storage facility.

Arpey said fewer flights will lead to job cuts at both American and American Eagle. The number of workers facing layoffs was not announced.

AMR shares tumbled $1.10, or 13.4 percent , to $7.10 after the announcement which came as its shareholders gathered for their annual meeting.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like slow-motion corporate suicide to me.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa.

I don't get the $15 per bag charge. Why don't they just tack the charge onto the airline ticket? Their fares aren't any lower than other airlines to broadcast charges like this.

I'm looking into my crystal ball and I don't like what I see....

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm DONE with American. The second bag charge was one thing the charge to check ONE bag is nutz. I guess everybody is expected to take "carry ons".

I figure if you can pack down to ONLY one bag for a week...that's still going to be $30 because you'll have to bring the bag back. I can't feasibly see a family of 4 packing only ONE bag.

It seems like it almost be cheaper to pack your "unmentionables" and swimsuit in a carry on and stop by the Goodwill (thrift store) and buy enough for the week. Drop the clothes off at Goodwill on the way back.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default Airline

What a shame to charge for carrying a bag. Maybe they want to attract the business class people who just use carry on.

Post Thanks / Like

I think BAGS is going to have to come up with a plan to start being able to collect money or else they are going to have to stop offering remote check-in service. Most airlines are now charging for the second bag so they are losing passengers there. Now American is charging for all bags so there goes all of the American customers. I wouldn't be suprised if other airlines follow shortly with this so there goes those customers as well.

The only airline that doesn't charge for more than two bags is Southwest but they don't even participate in the remote check-in service.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

1) The airline check-in at resorts is now limited to one bag per guest.
    2) This is due to airline charges for more than one bag.
    3) The check-in company (BAGS, Inc) can't collect the charges.
    4) If you want more checked luggage, you must take them to airport and check them.

OK, I'm confused! I thought this was only AA, we usually fly Delta, & this year we drove for the first time. We usually have 2 bags per person! My gosh, what a pain! So we would check half our luggage with BAGS & have to haul the other half with us to the airport to check? I didn't know that other airlines (we haven't flown for 2 years now) where following suit on this. If the others aren't, then why should everyone else be inconvenienced?
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    . . . I didn't know that other airlines (we haven't flown for 2 years now) where following suit on this. If the others aren't, then why should everyone else be inconvenienced? . . .
    1) Most airlines automatically charge for a 2nd checked bag per person.
    2) They usually don't charge for 1st Class or Business Elite passengers.
    3) BAGS, Inc can't collect the extra charges or over weight (50#) bags.*
    4) So, you must do it at the airport.

* Each bag already is weighed at the resort airline check-in. If it is overweight, they will not check the bag and you must take it with you to the airport on DME.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see the laundry facilities at the resorts getting busier - people will bring one set of clothing in a carry-on and switch with the clothes they wear on the plane. At the end of each day, they will do a load of laundry so that they have clean for the next day.

My boss did this - not because he wanted to, but because the airline he flew to Hawaii lost his, and his whole family's) luggage! He said it actually worked out well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    My boss did this - not because he wanted to, but because the airline he flew to Hawaii lost his, and his whole family's) luggage! He said it actually worked out well.
    1) We haven't taken more than one WDW carryon per person in years.
    2) It really does work out quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see carry-on luggage starting to push the limits with people trying to buy bigger bags they can fit more in. I picture a 5 year old with a carry-on bigger than the child
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand why AA is making this change and can also understand the reason for not just upping every ticket by $15.

The people I feel sorry for are the flight attendants. They'll be the one's having to deal with all the issues as they face the pressure of trying to get the cabin ready for an on-time push back.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

I had this discussion with DH this morning - since we go for an extended period of time (and I don't do laundry on vacation!), we're going to take three checked bags & ensure that any of our carry-on bags are within airline specs - I'm sure they're going to get much tighter in making sure your carry-ons are within the proper dimensions! But instead of a shoulder-type gym bag & a backpack that we usually use as carry-ons, we'll be taking our small rolling bags. We LOVE using the airline checkin at the resort and don't want to lose this benefit!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Gottaluvgoof Guest

I fly Southwest, so I guess it doesn't effect me. We always have to take our own luggage anyway. I do think the security check points at the airports are going to be extremely busy now, with most people wanting to carry on, instead of paying the fees for checking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Whoa.

I don't get the $15 per bag charge. Why don't they just tack the charge onto the airline ticket? Their fares aren't any lower than other airlines to broadcast charges like this.
    I agree, I think they loose more customers by adding the first bag fee, then just by adding the $15 to the ticket price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottaluvgoof View Post
    I fly Southwest, so I guess it doesn't effect me. We always have to take our own luggage anyway.
    I'm also a Southwest flyer. I think I've flown American only once, years ago, also United and Delta sometimes, but Southwest gets me where I need to go most of the time.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

1) We haven't taken more than one WDW carryon per person in years.
    2) It really does work out quite well.
    I fail to understand this. One carryon for a vacation? You don't wear contacts do you? The saline and/or cleaning solution alone would be over the liquid limit. What deodorant do you use? I think pretty close to all of those are over 3 ounces also. I just can't fathom not having a checked bag for a vacation.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I picture a 5 year old with a carry-on bigger than the child .
    I think I saw this kid last week on a flight from DC to Orlando.

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone who works "in the industry" be prepared for more changes/charges like this.

For example:

British Airways only allows pre-assigned seating on FULL fare tickets.

US Airways now charges a premium for pre-assigned window or aisle seating. They are also getting rid of "snacks" and have food for purchase.

Northwest no longer offers snacks, food for purchase only.

Many airlines now charge for the second and third bag.

Many airlines now charge a "fuel surcharge" as part of your ticket price.

As the cost of oil continues to rise we can expect more and more of these "surcharges"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: