Quantcast Just Back from Double Dip Cruise!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Back from Double Dip Cruise!

I just returned from my land/sea vacation that I went on with 6 other families. I will never be able to travel alone again! Traveling with a group is a blast!! My only regret is that we didn't go on a 7 night Disney cruise. This was our second time on the Wonder and I had to beg my kids to leave Oceanneers Club! I had read on Intercot before about parents pulling there kids away from the Club but I never thought that would be me. Had I known...I would have booked for a week! Everything was great, though I must admit our dining staff was better the first time around, though it was still the same great experience. The weather was fantastic and stopping at Castaway Cay TWICE is a must!!! The second time we headed to the far end of the island with the kids to the more quiet section with the vollyball nets, soccor, etc... and it was heaven. So much more peaceful than at the main area of the beach. One other must if traveling with a group, the private dining room at Palo that requires a minimum of 12 people. This was a highlight of our trip. You felt like you were the only ones in Palo and it even had an ocean view. I wish the new ships were coming out sooner. Before leaving, I had said that would be the next time I would go on DCL, but since we had so much fun I am not sure I can wait that long!
    1970's Two Stays Contemporary Resort
    5/03 All Star Sports/Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/06 Polynesian/Disney Wonder Cruise
    5/08 Polynesian/Disney Wonder Cruise
    8/10 Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in cruise envy: you double-dipped at CC! It sounds like it was amazing. I love Castaway Cay!

Did the ship stay there overnight or did it go out to sea again? Who were your servers? More details, please!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

No the ship did not stay overnight, but one of my travel mates had said how great it would be to be on Castaway Cay at night! Monday we were at CC, Tuesday Nassau, Wednesday at CC. As for the names of our servers, you know, I can't even remember their names...now that tells you something. I also felt there were others on the ship that were in training. We had a very painful wait at lunch at Tritons, though the food was worth the wait. Though on a positive note, the bar staff was fantastic and extremely friendly and helpful. We even had one of them join us for Karaoke one night to sing a quick song. It was pretty funny. Last time our servers were Julie and Isaac and they were fantastic - plus the Love Boat name connection was kind of funny too. We also saw the new Toy Story show. I thought the costumes were great...though I wasn't blown away like the other shows. Don't get me wrong, it was still way above shows you see on other cruiselines. It was exactly what you would expect from Disney and you could see how much detailed planning went into this production. Another note about the kids club, I don't know if it was because I paid more attention this time since my boys were more interested in the club, but I was extremely impressed about every aspect about the Oceanneers Club. From the check in process, programs conducted to even the check out process it was perfect! My son is still talking about how I took him out of the Club before he was done coloring his Disney pillow case at the pj party! Well, it was almost 11pm! You might have cruise envy, but I have CRUISE WITHDRAWAL!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I just can't wait!!!
    Sounds like a good time! Thanks for the comments...do you plan to post a more detailed trip report soon? (whining....please!! please!! MUST HAVE MORE!!!)
    Megan and four-footed Jolene "JoJo"

DL October 2004- Offsite
    WDW October 2006 - Pop Century 70's
    DCL Magic November 2008
    WDW November 2008 - Pop Century 50's
    WDW Birthday trip!!!! Aug 2009 WoooHOO!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I didn't want to bore everyone but your wish is my command. Here is a little more detail about our trip. There were 6 families that included 11 children ranging in ages from 3 to 8. We started our trip at the Poly for 3 nights.

LAND
    We reserved a bus from Happy Limo to take us from the airport to the Poly. I highly recommend this. The price per person was less than the Disney transfers and we even made a grocery stop on our way to the Poly. This is a must if traveling with a group. It was so nice to just be with all your friends and the kids loved it. The boys were calling the back row of the bus "The Boys Club." It was very cute.

When we arrived at the Poly around 11am. The front desk informed us that only one room was ready - mine - yeah! Though come to find out the rooms were ready the entire time and my poor friends had to wait all day for their rooms. The check in process wasn't as smooth as our last visit, but we made the best of it.

We stayed at the Volcano Pool all day and then headed to Epcot for dinner that night. We once again grabbed the front car of the Monorail. That view is fantastic. If you haven't been in the front car, always ask, our request has always been granted. We like to do it at least once per trip. We were lucky enough to have reservations for LeCellier that I obtained 6 months in advance. The food was fantastic and I can now see what all the hype is all about! My husband pretty much rolled me out of the restaurant!

The next day we got to Magic Kingdom as soon as it opened. NO LINES! The crowds, or lack of, were fantastic. We got to do all of our favorite rides without the wait...Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, etc...We were able to do so much and head back to the Poly Volcano Pool by 1pm to have lunch. Then it was off to Epcot again for dinner with the gang at Coral Reef. What a great place to have dinner! The food was fantastic. It actually exceeded my expectations. One of my friends was even lucky enough to score a table right up front...she always gets the best seat in the house! That night we saw Illuminations and enjoyed Soarin' and Test Track and a bunch of other rides. BTW: We were on the dining plan and took advantage of every penny!

Then it was off to Animal Kingdom on Saturday which opened early and we were there first thing! Again...NO LINES! We hit EVERYTHING and even enjoyed shows like Nemo which was UNBELIEVABLE! We were again back to the Poly for lunch by 1:30 and poolside again. That night we went as a group to O'Hana's at the Poly. Oh so much fun. The restaurant even accomodated our large group and we had one table for kids...one table for the men...and one for the women. It was an early Mother's Day celebration. The kids loved eating alone and the wait staff was fantastic bringing all the kid-type foods family style. I was quite impressed with their suggestions they gave us to keep the kids happy. We then headed back to Magic Kingdom that evening.

SEA
    The next morning the limo bus picked us up at the Poly for 9am and we headed to the Disney Wonder. When we got to the terminal we were informed that we would be the first to board at 11:45am. We headed right to lunch at Parrot Cay and our rooms were ready before 1pm. Everything just fell right into place perfectly. Our dining rotation was even perfect to accomodate for our Monday night Palo reservation...Tritons, Animators, Animators, and Parrot Cay. I just love the sail away party and this time it was a blast since we were with all of our friends. The DCL staff even asked one of our friends to be part of one of the dance performances at the party - YMCA! It was an absolute riot. He got so into the dance that I couldn't stop laughing. His performance will no doubt be on YouTube.

Hope I haven't put you to sleep yet...

Sunday night at Tritons was great. Though, I wished they had organized our group a little better in the dining rooms. This poor family was put in the middle of our four tables...it was actually kind of weird how they were in the middle of all of us crazy people. I figured it wasn't worth fixing or re-organizing since it would only be for 3 nights since we had a night at Palo too. Had it been a week cruise I would have fixed it. We headed to check out the Oceanneers Club that night since there was no show. The kids did not want to leave.

Castaway Cay in the morning was great. We got off the boat around 10ish. We picked up some sand toys and headed for the beach. It was a pefect beach day. We had lunch at the barbecue on the island which is fantastic. We spent most of the day on the beach and then it was time to get back to the ship and get ready for our adult only night - yeah! We dropped the kids off at The Club at 5pm and went to the Cove on the ship for cocktails. The bartenders there were unbelievable and even fun to hang out with. We went to Palo at 6pm. We were lead back to the private room which I reserved before we left. I was blown away. I didn't think it would have a view of the ocean, but it did. Being in this room you forget that anyone else is even in the restaurant. We didn't even ask, but they just kept bringing out all kinds of food for us to sample. I love when people think for you! The ship photographer also came in and took some great group shots of us. It will be a night I will never forget. We did go to The Club after dinner to pick up the kids for the show since it was Toy Story.

The next day we stopped at Nassau. We had actually organized a girls only morning in honor of the Mother's Day holiday a couple days prior. The women hit the adults only pool for a while and the men had the kids. We then put the kids in the Club and some of us had lunch at Triton's and then went ashore for a little shopping. Sorry, no large purchases to report. Dinner was at Animator's Palette that evening. You know what is wierd? Last time we went things were first black and white and then changed to color, including the waitstaff's vests. This time there was no gradual changing to color. I was kind of disappointed. I am not sure if this was because it was Pirate Night? Speaking of Pirate Night...WOW! What a great time we had at the Pirate Party on deck that evening. The kids loved all the dancing and we had gotten the boys swords which they loved to play with during the party. They even chased all the girls! Some of us went out that evening. We wanted to go dancing though it was hard to find. They had Karaoke until almost midnight. And, let me just say, the singers were not very good and it was torture at times. Though we made the best of it and even became backup dancers for some of the singers. Lots of laughs that night. (P.S. The Golden Mickeys Show was that night too.)

We then went back to Castaway Cay on Wednesday. As I mentioned earlier, we walked past the more crowded beach over to the part of the beach that has the vollyball and soccer. The beach has a lot of shells that are a little hard on your feet but it is so much more peaceful here and much less crowded. I highly recommend it! Everyone had so much fun playing vollyball and soccer in addition to swimming and playing in the sand. It gave the kids so much more of a variety of activities. We also enjoyed the barbecue again. Also, some of the people in our group had cabanna massages which were HEAVEN! In the evening we had dinner at Parrot Cay and my kids begged to go into the Club after dinner so we missed the show but it was okay since we had seen it before. We spent a lot of time in the sports bar since we are from Boston and had to support the Celtics. The staff also was very accomodating and put the Sox on too! They have lots of board games around the club too...who thought Connect Four could be so much fun!

The next morning we were up early to have breakfast and head back home. We once again had the bus pick us at the terminal. We were through Customs and at the bus stop by 8:30am. We had a 1pm flight...so we spent a lot of time at the airport. I think I might chance it next time and book an earlier flight.

Some other things we as a group took advantage of were room service which we didn't do last time...I think I should have even done it more. Others enjoyed spa treatments, BINGO, snorkeling and time with the characters, especially the Princesses. I have boys, so watching the girls faces light up when they were with the Princesses was priceless!

I can't wait to plan another group cruise...it is the only way to go now for me

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.

As for your withdrawal, the only cure I know of is to start planning your next cruise!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gracias!

Thank you so much for your trip report. I'm glad you had a good time. I'm trying to talk my sister and her family to join us on DCL next year.... how did you get all of those together? Were you the master planner?
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Wow you did not put me to sleep, you made me want to take a cruise, something I never thought I would want to do. It sounds like so much fun I think I might just have to try it.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was the Master Planner and eveyone in my group called me "Julie the Cruise Director" during the 2 years I planned this trip. (BTW: My name isn't Julie, it's Lisa). I absolutely loved planning this trip. I sent out an email to all of our friends in our neighborhood two years in advance. We would have had more people join us, but a lot of people had just had babies. So, I can only imagine how many will join us next time.

We booked the trip as soon as the 2008 rates were available and got a fantastic deal. I loved our travel agent, I don't think I am aloud to promote an other agency on the site, but they were great. I used Intercot for a lot of my ideas, especially dining at Disney and a lot of the ins and outs. I would frequently send out tips to the group via email and reminders, I think they thought I was nuts. I would send out suggestions for dining, park/ride options, etc...but we had all agreed at the beginning of the process that each family would "do their own thing" when they wanted too. As you can imagine, there were a lot of different personalities, though for the most part we sticked together or even better bumped into eacher all over the place. I did not try to coordinate sitting at the same table for Disney dining - that would have been a nighmare. Though was happy it worked out at O'Hanas - what a blast that night was.

JMTSSTONE: You must convince your sister! I can't imagine traveling alone ever again! Traveling with a group allows the kids to have built-in playmates and the adults to have more people to have fun with too. Especially when you need a break from your husband...oh did I say that out loud?!?! One night we required that one representative from each family go out and then switch off the next night. Most of us felt guilty keeping the kids in the club too late. I think as long as you make it clear that you don't have to do "everything" together, most people would jump on board to vacation together.

Do you think we could ask DCL to kick it up a notch and get these new ships ready earlier? I said I wasn't going again until the new ships were ready...ugh...I am not sure I will make it! I am in cruise and cruise "planning" withdrawal. I will let you all know when the next group trip is coming...maybe you could "come with!" We are a fun group

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report! It was fun reading it! I think my sister and I must have been on the same cruise as you because we just got back from the Double Dip to Castaway Cay too! We loved it and are in cruise withdrawal too! Two stops at Castaway was the way to go!

We also had a fun time watching the Krazy Karaoke! It was one fun night!

Post Thanks / Like

That is too funny! Did you leave on May 15? Okay, a little embarressed if you went to Karaoke on the Tuesday night...we were the crazy back up dancers that couldn't wait to get on the dance floor. What great weather we had on that cruise!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report! We are leaving in 30 days for our Double Dip cruise! So glad you liked it!

I'm worried that I will miss the sea days that I love, did you find this so? I know we'll love CC twice, but I would much rather had 2 stops at CC and no Nassau, with a day at sea inbetween!

Was there still a huge rush to get off at CC on both days like it normally is?
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree - No Nassau! I would much rather have the day at sea. Last time we did not get off at Nassau, but this time I felt like we should. Wrong choice - we should have stayed at the pool. Oh well...next time. I felt this time around I didn't explore the ship as much or use the pools. Castaway Cay twice is a must! There was no mad rush off the ship. At both Disney World and on the ship I did not have ANY problems with crowds - it was lovely. Everything was a breeze. I am so excited...FedEx just arrived and it was my photo book from the trip! This was the first time I ever created a photo book - I love it! I highly recommend it. Check out www.snapfish.com if you are interested in making one after your cruise!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LW_DFREAK View Post
    I totally agree - No Nassau! I would much rather have the day at sea. Last time we did not get off at Nassau, but this time I felt like we should. Wrong choice - we should have stayed at the pool. Oh well...next time. I felt this time around I didn't explore the ship as much or use the pools. Castaway Cay twice is a must! There was no mad rush off the ship. At both Disney World and on the ship I did not have ANY problems with crowds - it was lovely. Everything was a breeze. I am so excited...FedEx just arrived and it was my photo book from the trip! This was the first time I ever created a photo book - I love it! I highly recommend it. Check out www.snapfish.com if you are interested in making one after your cruise!

I ask about the mad rush to CC because when we sailed last (mid-late Jan), there seemd to be a good amount of people waiting for the gangways to open, and the line for towels was a good size. This was right when they allowed us to disembark, so I'm pretty sure if we waited a little, the crowds should be gone.

We have our favorite place on the beach, and we don't want it gone! I think our cruise is completely booked (not a single category shows up online!), so we were just thinking about a plan of attack. We thought that since there were 2 days at CC that the mad rush to absorb every CC moment was a little less.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Lisa, thanks so much for all the wonderful comments, tips, and of course, the report!! My DH and I are about to book our first ever cruise, and we're doing the land/sea as well, only no "double dip" . And it's not 'til next October -- you've got me wanting to go next week!!! We're adding a 4th night on land prior to the cruise, just to get our fill of the parks before we go, and of our resort... we've never done a deluxe, and as my dream has been to stay at AKL, I want to enjoy it!!

Sigh... it sounds like you had an awesome time... thanks so much for sharing with us!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! I looooove the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We stayed there a few years ago when my boys were only 18 months and 3 years. We had gotten a fantastic deal with the Disney Visa and stayed there for 10 days with a Savanah view. We would have stayed there again with the Land/Sea if we didn't need to have easier access to Magic Kingdom with all the little ones in our group. I keep bumping into all my friends that we vacationed with - well it is hard not to since they all live in my neighborhood - and everyone misses eacho ther and can't wait to do it again! P.S. As for waiting unti next October. I planned our trip 2 years in advance. I thought it would never come. Though when it got closer it came fast. I made the cutest "Countdown to Disney" calendar that was for "my kids" but I really think it was for me!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LW_DFREAK View Post
    I made the cutest "Countdown to Disney" calendar that was for "my kids" but I really think it was for me!!!
    LOL - I do the same thing... totally for me, I have to admit it!! I haven't decided whether or not we're going to tell them about it... we're going this December (land only) and that's a surprise, so if I can pull it off, I just may surprise them w/ the October trip, too!

Glad to hear you loved AKL... I've always wanted to stay there, and since we decided to splurge on a verandah room (it's our 15th anniv. trip), what better way to get "forced" into a deluxe??? But I've been a little nervous... I thought I'd love the WL, but when we visited it 2 years ago, I was disappointed... I didn't like it as well as I'd thought I would, from the pictures. So - I'm sure hoping we'll like it as much as I think we will! We're going to do a Sav. view room, too -- do you think it was worth it? Our girls will be 8 and 11, so we want the bunk beds... and I'm planning some downtime at the resort so we can enjoy it, and the view.

Thanks for all your comments, etc - they're great, and getting my psyched!! (like I need help for that... )
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I could stay there and not have a Savanah view. I think that is one of the huge attractions for the resort. My son still talks about the bunk beds from the AKL. That is what he remembers most about the resort! I have always wanted to stay at the WL, so hmmm, you are making me rethink things. Something I remember from the AKL it is very dark, though it does go with the them. We loved walking around at night looking at the animals and there was always someone around to give you the scoop on everything. Oh I am so jealous! Also, I love surprises...so I say go with the surprise if you can.

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from a double-dip too (4-day Wonder, 5/18-5/22). It was our first cruise. All I can say is

We are 25-year WDW veterans, and I can honestly say that the cruise was even a step above WDW, which doesn't seem possible. Every cast member provided outstanding service. As amazing as the food, sights, fun, weather, etc. were, the CM's shined the brightest. They simply did everything right, and somehow seemed very sincere, not just bucking for a tip.

The only negative action we saw was among some of the guests - complaining and treating servers poorly. How miserable must these people be in the 'real world'?

There is too much to say, and I'd just be repeating other posts. We have no complaints. Our dinner mates were so great, it was like they were CM's.

If you are reading this deciding if it's worth it, it is. DW was worried about sea-sickness. None occured.

Oh - one more thing: When you arrive to park, be advised you will be stopped at 3 check points as you enter the lot, before you hit the parking cashier booth. We almost missed the second checker (who was about 25 feet from the first checker), and the ol' rental car got a couple of panicked slaps on the rear from Security Sally!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: