Quantcast Call to the Post!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Call to the Post!

Anyone like to play the ponies around here? My brother is a horse racing nut. This is his favorite time of the year, with the Kentucky Derby going off today, Preakness two weeks from now, and then the Belmont stakes shortly thereafter.

I first really got into horse racing with the Smarty Jones in 2004. Almost every year since then we've had a horse with a local connection, but this year there isn't one.

I don't pay attention to the odds so much as I go with gut instincts on numbers and names. I played the $5 trifecta boxed on Pyro, Big Brown, and Eight Belles. This is actually the first time I'm laying money down, usually I just pick for fun.

Anybody have a favorite?
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm betting on Big Brown.

"Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take Affirmed to win and Alydar to place.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Without looking at the odds I placed $10 on Pyro based on Def Leppards Pyromania being my favorite album of all time.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chick20679 View Post
    I'm betting on Big Brown.

Good move!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    Without looking at the odds I placed $10 on Pyro based on Def Leppards Pyromania being my favorite album of all time.
    Bad move!
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad I didn't bet - I would have picked Big Brown.
    Kathy şoş

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

That was very weird watching the celebrations after what happened to 8 Belles.

I won $15.

I was at my parents for dinner with my Brother, SIL, and niece. I decided to be "The House", and took all $2 bets. Easy money.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I just found out about what happened to Eight Belles. How tragic! My DD's will be devastated when they find out - and I won't be able to keep it from them.
    Kathy şoş

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

At first I was pretty happy with the results, despite the fact that Pyro didn't place.... my bro profited +1600 from the trifecta. I was only missing Dennis of Cork....
    But yea I was a huge fan of 8 Belles. I ran to the lavatory right after the race and when I came back my fiancee told me she had to be put down after the race. I literally just starting hyperventilating and bawling, I felt so bad....
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    . I literally just starting hyperventilating and bawling, I felt so bad....
    I also wanted to add that I am just a huge animal lover, horses in particular. They are majestic animals. I struggle all the time about whether I should be a racing fan or not. It's very exciting but when you see what happens sometimes, it makes you question
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see people outside of Louisville lovin' the Derby! It's a great time! I highly reccomend it to anyone at least once in their lives. My sister was in the box in front of Big Brown's owner and friends. They weren't planning on betting on him, but then felt like they should after meeting everyone. Good thing!
    It's not easy being green....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I also wanted to add that I am just a huge animal lover, horses in particular. They are majestic animals. I struggle all the time about whether I should be a racing fan or not. It's very exciting but when you see what happens sometimes, it makes you question
    You know Maryanne, this is probably the one time in sports I can agree with you (you being from Philly and me being from the 'Burgh) - I'm not sure whether to be a fan or not. It's a glamorous industry but for all the animals in the spotlight that we see who are treated well, there are hundreds more that are not. The sport is hard on these animals - young and healthy animals who don't have what it takes are often euthanized, mares are used year after year as baby factories even long after they shouldn't be breeding anymore, living conditions and training methods are sometimes deplorable, and the accidents and injuries are sometimes devastating. I hear now that PETA wants Eight Belles jockey suspended pending an investigation - they feel that something happened to the mare early in the race and he kept running her anyway. I've heard conflicting stories and I'm not sure what really happened.
    Kathy şoş

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    ... they (PETA) feel that something happened to the mare early in the race and he kept running her anyway.
    How would they know? Early in the race? She finished second.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

My dad took me to races when I was young and I love watching. I was so sorry to see Eight Belles down. Heartbreaking. I liked Pyro, Court Vision, and Denis of Cork. My DH picked Big Brown. We never put money on it, though.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    How would they know? Early in the race? She finished second.
    I know, I'm confused by that too. I wouldn't think that she would have been able to finish the race much less come in second. I've heard conflicting complaints including that she injured herself at the beginning of the race but was whipped to keep going and that's how she ended up with both front ankles broken - they thought perhaps she would have had a much less severe injury (and thus could have been saved) if the jockey had pulled her up at the start. I also heard that it happened just after she finished while they are still running.
    Kathy şoş

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Prefacing my comments with that I'm a sideline fan, watch the triple crown and that is it for the year. I enjoy watching the races (dog races too for that matter but that's another thread). I am troubled by the number of horses that I see injured in the three races each year that I watch. I have trouble wrapping my mind around how a horse breaks both legs running on a dirt track. Don't they run naturally in the wild? My only guess would be that they run them too hard at a young age. Would the excitement be any less if they waited until the horses were 1 year older to run? Maybe they would be a little slower but they possibly wouldn't break legs either. I guess I don't understand it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advnt05 View Post
    I have trouble wrapping my mind around how a horse breaks both legs running on a dirt track. Don't they run naturally in the wild? My only guess would be that they run them too hard at a young age. Would the excitement be any less if they waited until the horses were 1 year older to run? Maybe they would be a little slower but they possibly wouldn't break legs either. I guess I don't understand it all.
    I'm with you here. There was some rumor going around that 8 Belles had a sprained ankle ahead of time and they shot her up, not with steroids, but with another kind of pain reliever that is legal so she could still run on it. Never found out if that got substantiated though. I don't blame the jockey. If something was amiss, I'd blame the owner. Something just doesn't smell right about this whole situation.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone watch the Preakness?

I think Big Brown has a great shot at winning The Triple Crown. He has just been so much better than any other horse he raced against. That burst he had coming out of the last turn was amazing.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get a chance to watch or bet, which is somewhat unfortunate because those were the 3 horses I picked. I did see the final few seconds on the news, Big Brown really pulled away. My brother says there are a few horses that were held off from the other races that could possible play the spoiler in the Belmont, but Big Brown does look pretty dominant.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the Preakness. Big Brown was amazing. I liked Ichabad Crane. I've picked third place in both races. Let's see if I can do it at the Belmont, too. I want Big Brown to take the Triple Crown, though.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: