Quantcast Im getting scared...Sci-Fi

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Im getting scared...Sci-Fi

So this being my 1st trip to WDW I have talked to lots of people about my ADRs, however the more I read stuff about Sci-Fi I am beginning to doubt my pick and am seriously thinking about changing...

People say the food stinks, the seating is tough, etc.

I know everyone says Sci-Fi is good a 1st timer, but I still want to have good food & being to have a nice family dinner (from what I have been reading the seating is difficult because of the rows in the cars).

Should I change from Sci-Fi to something else??

Any help would be nice...
    Last edited by *NikkiJ*; 04-29-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: color
    Summer '90 Disneyland as a kid with my parents and grandmother

August '08 POR with DH and DS

January '14 CSR with just DH

November '14 CBR with DH, DS, DN (dear niece)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there in 2000 & although I don't remember exactly what I ordered I know that we didn't dislike it. We remember the set-up being pretty neat & a nice environment which is why we are going back this September with my 5yo, 7yo & my parents. I think everybody should experience this unique TS at least once. It may not be the best but if we didn't like it I would've remembered that. Good luck whatever you choose.
    Upcoming Trip - 9/2012
    9/18/10-9/25/10 POP (kids stay & play free)
    9/17/08-9/24/08 POP (free dining)
    9/2000 CBR
    9/1998 Offsite
    9/1996 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I know Sci Fi gets a bad rap, but we love it. In fact, every time I suggest skipping it to try something new, both by DH and DD nearly start crying. The food isn't fancy, or gourmet, but has always been very good for us. The onion rings are my favorite.

As far as the seating, you can request one of the tables at the back if you don't think the cars will work for your family. We love the cars...it's like going to a drive in movie. I would say definitely give it a try and decide for yourself.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be scared! It's a fun atmosphere. I would say that lunch is a better bet than dinner. Sandwiches, soups, salads, burgers, and snack/appetizer things seem to be safe bets here. I haven't done dinner at Sci-Fi, but the majority of food complaints seem to be based on dinner choices. And even then, not everyone hates it. People who dislike something tend to be more vocal about it. Will it be the best meal ever? Probably not. But it could be a lot of fun, and why not give it a try?

You can see the seating here: Two in front, two in back, for a family of four. I think they have larger cars for larger parties, or maybe larger parties have table seating.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I just made my ADR for Sci-Fi for lunch. We've never been, and although I"ve read the same things you have, we are still going. I think the atmosphere is going to be very unique and our 2 boys will love it. We'll stick with sandwiches and onion rings and I think we'll be fine. Again - we are 1st timers, so I"m not too worried. I

Post Thanks / Like

Sci Fi is a must do for us!! We love the atmosphere, and we have always liked our food.
    The cars are set up as three rows of two seats. Or they have cars in the back that have tables attatched to them and they have tables designed like round picinc tables it one of theses sounds better then request one of those. We really enjoy going here and I am sure you will too.

Have Fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things you have to remember is that the virtual world of the internet is just like the real world in that no person likes to be the odd person out. What I mean is that if I log into a thread and see that there are 15 negative comments about Sci-Fi and no positive then I am likely not to say anything for fear of looking like I don't know what I am talking about.

You also have to remember that people's impressions of restaurants is just like movies, everyone has an opinion and all of them are a little different.

For these two reasons I always say that if something interests you then you should give it a try. Of course, don't forget that your own notions going in can VERY definitely color your opinion so do your very best to keep an open mind and believe that you are going to like it until the actual situation on the proves you wrong. If you go into a situation with an open mind you are far more likely to have a positive experience than if you go in expecting it to be bad.

Post Thanks / Like

We loved it...Sci Fi is an experience...The food was good and the atmosphere made it a great meal...I think that you should give it a try...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was very cool. My 2 yr old DS liked "sitting in a car" and watching "movies" while eating. The food was good. I highly recommend the Oreo cookie milkshake, BLT soup and Spinach and Artichoke dip.

Yes it was a little strange having my DH sit behind me, but it added to the charm. I would recommend browsing the menu ahead of time and if you like what you see, go for it!
    If only everyone was as happy as Goofy is...
    89 - offsite
    90 - Disneyland
    93- offsite
    May 01 - POR
    May 06 - AKL
    February/March 07 - CS
    Nov/Dec 07 - Offsite
    Sept/Oct 08 - POFQ and DCL Wonder
    May 10 - WL
    Nov 12 - AoA
    Nov 14 - CBR

Next trip - January 2016- POR - My first 1/2 Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to most other TS restaraunts, it has a rather plain menu. That being said, the burgers, fries, and shakes are great. And the atmostphere is really cool.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

We went for lunch a few years back and had a blast! The food was very good,our CM was a lot of fun, and overall atmosphere was really cool. Keep it!

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there in 2006 and all loved our food. I had salmon maybe (it was definitely fish, but don't remember what kind of fish), DS a burger and don't remember what DH had. As we did not have a reservation we were seated at the picnic tables at the back which was perfect for us being 3. My only complaint was that it was almost a million degrees outside and very cold inside. Really needed a sweater in there. I would keep your reservation and give it a try.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

We have not been here as of yet, but the only reason for us is that during our meals, we like to have a conversation with our family to talk about what we have all done that day and what we have enjoyed the most, etc. So, for us, this restaurant just doesn't work. However, we will probably give it a try at some point in our Disney trips. I can honestly say, however, that Sci-Fi did not make it on to our ressies list for our upcoming Sept trip. There are simply too many other places that we want to return to or try for the first time!! So many places to eat, so little time.
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

We are excited to try this despite seeing some bad reviews. Everyone likes different things and our motto is try it at least once!!

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I too, think they get a bad rap. We visit almost everytime we visit WDW. We like the atmosphere and the seating arrangements, we think its fun. While the food is by no means gourmet, it has always been tasty and satisfying. IMO, I would go for it. You will have a great time and kids get a kick out of the old time drive in motif.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not afraid to stick out. I think the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater stinks, and I would never recommend it, especially to a group larger than three people. My family of five could not have a legitimate conversation because of the seating arrangement. Somebody was always craning his neck to turn around and face the back of the row.

That could be forgiven in exchange for a good meal, but the food is truly terrible. I wouldn't dare try anything but an order of onion rings and a milkshake. Maybe the cheeseburgers are safe.

There are so many great restaurants to waste a precious dinner at a mediocre place. Honestly, there are at least three better table service restaurants at Disney's Hollywood Studios alone.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We too read that the Sci-Fi food was bad.
    We just ate there in March. The food was fine, and the car seating and big screen made it enjoyable.
    I plan on going back next trip.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Something I failed to mention in my previous post is that we have always found the quality of the food to be very good. I think there are two primary reasons it gets a bad rap and the first is the seating and the second are the menu options. However, I think that in keeping with the theme of the restaurant both the seating and the food choices are appropriate for the theme. Yes it is different than what you will experience elsewhere but that is what makes it fun!

Post Thanks / Like

We love it - especially the kids. The atmosphere is fantastic - it's something you should try at least once. The kids love sitting in the cars and watching the movie clips.

I think it gets a bad rap because it's just your basic TGIFriday's type fare - nothing fancy or particularly different. That said, we enjoy it and plan to go back.

Post Thanks / Like

We went on our Honeymoon in 2003 and LOVED it there. Hubby is a sci fi NUT! We went last September with 2 kids (then 7months and 3 years) and we just had a hard time with the seating arrangements... But my cousin, his wife and their 2 boys ages 7 &9 LOVED it. I think it is just easier if your kids are a little older and can sit in the seats by themselves and just be amused with the movies and the scenery. We will definately go back someday... We love burgers, artichoke dip, onion rings, milkshakes... (And hey the "glow in the dark blue Mama Drink" as my DD referred to it was REALLY good after a long day at the parks. )... We just need the girls to get a little older so it is easier to eat without facing each other.

Give it a try... If you are very nervous.. go for lunch... it wont be as much $$ and you can get an idea if you ever want to go back.
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: