Quantcast Not enough points - what to do?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not enough points - what to do?

So, I want to know if you don't have enough points to cover a vacation (and can't borrow from the next year) can you just pay an extra amount to cover the points you don't have?

Background - I talked with a DVC sales guide yesterday and it sounds like the first year you get whatever amount of points you buy and then the next year you have double the amount of points. She said since we're buying into AKV and it is under construction we can't borrow from '09 points. We are already planning a trip in October and have rooms booked, but if we can use points instead I'd rather do that. We'd need a 2 BR, so for a Standard View for when we're going (Thursday - Tuesday) we'd need 177 points. If we buy 175, we're short 2 points. Therefore, getting to my question above.
    5/04 - Caribbean Beach
    5/05 - Caribbean Beach
    11/06 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Honeymoon)
    6/07 - Caribbean Beach
    10/08 - SSR (for DS's 1st B-day)

DVC Owners @ AKV as of 4/08
    Next Trip: 6/09 - SWW!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't beleive you can buy the points you need to make up the difference. I beleive you cover what you can with the points you have, then have to pay for the nights you can't cover. So, in this case, it would appear that you would have to pay for the last day of your stay.
    DVC Owner: BCV in 2002 & AKV in 2008
    18 visits home between 2000 and 2014
    Next up:
    AKV in September 2014
    BCV in December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

You can pay cash to stay in a DVC room as member if you don't have enough and will get it at a member discounted price. which since you won't be using your points for that last night you will have points to book for your next stay. If you are planning on continuing the same pattern and always seem to come up a couple points short this will allow you to use the banked points to cover the same accomadation the next year and the pattern will just continue to repeat itself over time
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OhToodles! View Post
    So, I want to know if you don't have enough points to cover a vacation (and can't borrow from the next year) can you just pay an extra amount to cover the points you don't have?

Background - I talked with a DVC sales guide yesterday and it sounds like the first year you get whatever amount of points you buy and then the next year you have double the amount of points. She said since we're buying into AKV and it is under construction we can't borrow from '09 points. We are already planning a trip in October and have rooms booked, but if we can use points instead I'd rather do that. We'd need a 2 BR, so for a Standard View for when we're going (Thursday - Tuesday) we'd need 177 points. If we buy 175, we're short 2 points. Therefore, getting to my question above.
    Maybe this is a silly question, but why don't you just buy 180 points instead of 175? Or, just buy 177 instead of 175. The additional cost for the 2 points will be less than it will cost to pay cash for the room for that one extra night...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

This was just a scenario. We may just buy the minimum points at this time. We wouldn't always need this much space - just happens that we have more people going this trip.

Thanks for letting me know I can just pay for one night stay if we don't have enough points. Maybe one of the other couples will foot that bill since it'll be cheaper than the 5 night stay they were going to have to pay for!
    5/04 - Caribbean Beach
    5/05 - Caribbean Beach
    6/07 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default ??

Okay, so I'm pretty sure that I've used my 2009 points to book a 2009 Cruise and I'm an AKV relatively new owner...

Are you sure you can't borrow from your '09 points?
    Mother of 2
    DVC Member since 09/07
    ASM 09/07
    VB 01/08
    AKV Concierge 09/08
    AKV Studio Savannah View 12/08
    DCL - Wonder 10/09
    AKV Jambo House, Concierge 01/10

Future Trips:
    BWV 09/10
    Hawaii DVC in 2011! Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you can't borrow from your '09 points?
    That's what they told me. For 08-09 I can use the 160 points and then for 09-10 I'd have 320 points, but can't borrow any of the 320 points for the 08-09 year. At least that's how I understood it. I'll try to clarify again when I call back to buy!
    Last edited by OhToodles!; 04-24-2008 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    5/04 - Caribbean Beach
    5/05 - Caribbean Beach
    6/07 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OhToodles! View Post
    Thanks for letting me know I can just pay for one night stay if we don't have enough points. Maybe one of the other couples will foot that bill since it'll be cheaper than the 5 night stay they were going to have to pay for!
    Just something to keep in mind when paying cash for the rooms - they offer a limited number of rooms on a 'cash' basis. So make sure you work out the details with MS. It's usually not a problem, but just make sure you are aware the number of cash rooms are limited. Have a great trip.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: