Quantcast Do Ponchos on water rides work?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do Ponchos on water rides work?

Our next trip is in December (the 13th-19th) and we still want to be able to ride the "water" rides even though the weather might be cool.
    I have seen the suggestions of wearing ponchos on Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids, does this work well?
    Is there a trick to wearing the poncho a certain way? Does it just allow you to get less wet or to stay pretty dry?

I would love to hear from anyone with experience on this!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For the most part I used mine to make sure that my butt didn't get wet sitting on the seats. I don't like my pants to be soggy, makes walking yucky. For Kali I did take my shoes off and put them under the poncho with me, cuz having wet squishy feet is yucky too. I don't think they will prevent all water from touching you, but they are pretty effective. I had one of the Mickey ones and DH said I looked like Big Bird so that's a bonus too!!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

We've used them, as well as garbage bags, on water rides and had pretty good luck with them. You won't be completely dry but a lot better than you would be without them. One point of caution is that in summer they can be brutally hot, plus you're stuck carrying them around with you. That's why we went the garbage bag route-- poke holes for your arms and head, and at the end of the ride just give them to someone else in line. Then you don't have to carry them around and you make someone else happy. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

yes, they do work to an extent. They don't cover your entire body and on rides like Kali (where water comes in from all over) it does prove to be a bit of a problem staying completely dry. on flume rides (like Splash) they do work pretty well.
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

Default What not to do...

Don't just wrap a poncho around your shoulders. I sat behind someone (a stranger) who did this on Splash Mountain. Coming down the first hill, it flew off her shoulders and into my face.
    Ben

just2mickey Guest

I agree with everyone else. For Splash mountain~yes. Not so much for Kali River Rapids. That water has a way of finding its way into every little available space on your dry body.

Post Thanks / Like

It worked for my son but he's tiny, just a suggestion so you don't have to carry the wet ones around after, I found some in the camping section at target that were 88 cents and bought a bunch and just tossed them after.
    2011 Oct 29- Nov 5 MNSSHP
    2010 Nov 5-13 POFQ MVMCP
    2008 Nov 8-15 POFQ MVMCP
    2006 POFQ
    2000 Poly Honeymoon
    1987 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

For keeping feet dry, here's a trick I've used before - take some plastic bags with you, preferable the kind that the Sunday newspaper comes in. They are the perfect size to make some temporary disposable boots.

Post Thanks / Like

It will work better if you put on the hood! I bought one to wear on KRR because it was still early and chilly. I didn't put on the hood and a ton of water went right down the back of my neck. I was definitely the wettest. I asked for my money back but they don't come with a guarantee (kidding)
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

They kept us dry on Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids. I bought some super cheap ones at the Dollar Store (88 cents) before we left. They were compact enough that I took a couple and put them in my bag everyday. When we were done with one we just tossed it! Very convenient and kept us dry! I will definitely be using the same strategy when we go in Feb! Counting down the days!!!
    Jill
    09/02-Offsite
    02/04-CSR
    05/05-WL
    01/06-AKL, 05/07-BC, 09/07-CSR, 01/09-AKL, 10/09-CSR, 05/10-CSR
    11/11-WL
    09/12- POP me & my DD (15)
    11/13-WL
    11/14-BLT-Ainsley's 1st trip, 01/16-AoA/Disney Cruise, 09/16-WL
    09/16-Offsite
    12/17-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good ideas. We're going in Dec and was planning to buy several ponchos but, reconsidering the trash bag idea unless I find an awesome poncho deal.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Ponchos

I got my ponchos in the camping section of Wal Mart for 87 cents. Cheap enough!! Yes, ponchos work!
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just2mickey View Post
    I agree with everyone else. For Splash mountain~yes. Not so much for Kali River Rapids. That water has a way of finding its way into every little available space on your dry body.
    I beg to differ. I have used a poncho many times on Kali . I put it on making sure I am sitting on it, tucking it under my legs and the hood is on during the wettest parts. My feet may get wet but don't mess with my hair.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what? I look forward to the big guns blasting water at me on Splash. And besides, some days it's so hot and muggy that you WANT to get wet! Even so, you'll dry off before you know it... ponchos are a waste of time and you have to carry them around.
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what? I look forward to the big guns blasting water at me on Splash. And besides, some days it's so hot and muggy that you WANT to get wet! Even so, you'll dry off before you know it... ponchos are a waste of time and you have to carry them around.
    I have to disagree. The OP said they were going in December. I go in December every year, and while I will grant that some days are lovely, there are days when it never gets out of the 40s. And you cannot convince me that it is pleasant to walk around a park all day soaking wet in 40 degree weather, regardless of how much you love Disney or Splash. In fact, on days like that they turn OFF the water cannons with the understanding that people generally do not like to be soaked in that type of weather. The lines will be short (on days like that most logs go down Splash empty), but if you want to enjoy the rest of your day, a poncho is a good plan.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck with the ponchos on both rides. Make sure you tuck the poncho under you and around your tush, wear the hood and you should be fine. Just in case DON'T wear jeans or jean shorts. THEY will NEVER dry. Wear cotton or light weight material they dry much faster just in case.
    As for the shoes on Kali, I thought you could NOT take your shoes off on that ride any longer.
    We wear our Tevas when we go to Kali. Then it's not a problem.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

We have seen many people wearing ponchos on the water rides so I assume they work pretty good. As for keeping your feet dry on Kali, You can't go shoeless, but, if you prop your feet in the middle, up off the floor, they stay much dryer.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

As long as your seat is not "that seat" on Kali River Rapids you will be ok. I always wear my poncho when on Kali and have always kept pretty dry except the one time where our raft turned around just before going down the ramp and placed me and my DW with our backs to the action. When we went down the ramp it was my wife and me who received the worst part of the action. The rest of the people in the raft were having a riot laughing as the only two cowards with the ponchos were the ones soaking wet from the very beginning of the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

My response is Yes and No. They will definitely help, but your rear will usually get wet, or your thighs on the outside.
    I usually cover up on Splash Mountain and don't get too wet, but you go get a little on your seat area.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

Last time it was pouring down rain when we rode Kali so we already had our Disney ponchos on.

I'd say it worked great. The only thing that was wet was my legs, feet and face. My clothes stayed dry. If you don't want to get soaked....wear them.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Share This Thread On Social Media: