Quantcast Yavn Speaks 4/4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Yavn Speaks 4/4

LittleDragonErin Guest

Default Yavn Speaks 4/4

Yavn's got a friendly reminder and an update on the wackiness the Toons have brought to VMK!

Me again, so a little Toon told me about a strange sporting event that's starting this weekend – I'm working on getting more details about this wacky event, so stay tooned.Keeping it Safe – and Fun

Before this Toon wackiness gets too crazy, I wanted to take a moment and talk a little about VMK and our mission and our commitment to you, our Guests/Players.

At Disney we work very hard to make VMK a fun and safe environment for Guest of all ages.

With VMK we've always tired to innovate, be creative and do exciting new things. Sometimes those ideas work great, and sometimes we need to keep working on them and prefecting them. But as Walt said, "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." And of course, as we always have, we very much appreciate that you are with us on the journey.

VMK or Virtual Magic Kingdom is a FREE online multiplayer game and was launched as part of a promotion for the Disneyland 50th Celebration.

We've built an awesome community, and VMK Players do their part too. Like any game or community, VMK has rules and guidelines that our players MUST follow to visit and play in the Virtual Magic Kingdom.

That said, I thought it would be a good idea to talk briefly about our game rules, the VMK Values.

The rules are very simple. If you follow them, everybody has a lot of fun. If you break them you'll find yourself banned from VMK, which isn't very fun. They're all important, but these are a few I want to focus on today:

1. Using ANY program that modifies, plays or logs into VMK for you is NOT ALLOWED. Using these programs affect our systems (and other players) and will get you banned.

If you didn't download it from VMK.com, DON'T use it with VMK!

2. NEVER harass players or bother players – or engage in ANY behavior that may be offensive or disruptive to the game or other players. This includes disruptive protest, using foul language, name calling, blocking a room, entrance or Quest item.

Be respectful to other players and the community, don't do anything that wouldn't be allowed in a real Disney park. Treat players as you would like to be treated.

Be safe! And have fun!

3. Adult subjects are NEVER allowed in VMK. This includes discussing or describing adult subjects, creating any type of 'relationship' rooms or engaging in chat related to adult subjects or relationships.

Play VMK like your parents or schoolteacher are watching, if they wouldn't approve of your behavior or activity, there's a very good chance we don't either.

4. NEVER, under any circumstance ask for or give out ANY personal information to another player. (This includes your password, e-mail address, telephone number, location, or other means of contact or personal information.)

It doesn't matter if you know the person – giving out ANY personal information online is NEVER safe, against VMK Values and will get you banned.

5. Don't describe or discuss acts of violence against yourself or others. Doing this will not only get you banned but depending on the situation it could also get you into trouble with local authorities (that means the police).

6. Don't scam or steal from other players. Don't give away, trade or sell your VMK character.

Scamming takes many forms, for example creating or opening any type of 'Pay to Play' room. (This is a room where you pay the room owner to play a game and it's up to the room owner to award the prize.) Players charging for ANY type of game or activity is also against VMK Values and will get you banned.

These are just a few of the VMK Values, for the full list look here.

He'll be Right Back!

Alright, so now I'm hopping off my soap box and getting back to the game. We've got a Topsy Turvy month ahead, so enjoy it and have fun!

Remember again, VMK or Virtual Magic Kingdom is a FREE online multiplayer game. VMK was launched as part of a promotion for the Disneyland 50th Celebration. Let's keep VMK a fun and safe place to play!

-Yavn

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDragonErin View Post
    With VMK we've always tired to innovate, be creative and do exciting new things. Sometimes those ideas work great, and sometimes we need to keep working on them and prefecting them.
    Hmm, hope this isn't a hint that flying carpet still isn't ready to be released. Then on the other hand..Where is it?
    These three things will continue forever: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is love.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW You mean this game is FREE? I never knew that before. I mean all this time I have been paying oh no I must get my money back!

I think its interesting we got a newsletter explaining the rules in VMK. But whatever

I wonder what kind of sport event we will be having this weekend? Guess we'll have to wait and see although its interesting he tells us nothing about it when it sounds like it will be happening tomorrow.

Okay off now to get my money back...
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

So what I get from this is we are being scolded for being unhappy about the quest ending early because the game is free. Maybe they need to also remember that the game is free and put kids' feelings above rarity of some pixels. So many spent hours and didn't get to finish this quest, yes it's free but that was bad customer service, even if the customers aren't paying with money.
    AKA Mamacita in the VMK
    Past trips:
    WDWx7 (CBRx2, ASMx2, POR, Poly, FW)
    DLx7
    Next up, who knows!
    No time for goofin off, I got dawdlin to do!

Post Thanks / Like

So what I get from this is that he is blaming us for being unhappy? We should be able to be unhappy when they promise a game that actually works the way its supposed to and it doesn't even work right. Blaming us for complaining when the game is "free" isn't right at all...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David şoş

Post Thanks / Like

so is VMK pal not acceptable? I hope it is b/c my pc crashes more often during play if
    I just go thru the website
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KineGirl View Post
    so is VMK pal not acceptable?
    Not for sure about that. I think pal is just a wrapper and still uses the site to log in but again, not positive. I do know however that it can't be downloaded from the VMK site.
    These three things will continue forever: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is love.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Yavn is blaming anyone for anything in this letter. (That was the subject of his last letter, remember? "The cheaters and the hackers, blah blah blah...") Looking at this from a business perspective, what Yavn is doing here is called Damage Control. He is politely reminding us that

a) this is still just a "game", and
    b) Disney is giving it to us without requiring anything in return on our part.

It's amazing to me that so many people have turned against Disney because this weekend's quest didn't go perfectly. Despite the quest's challenges and frustrations, I thought the "idea" was a great one--it just wasn't executed as well as it could have been. I'm sure the people behind VMK expected the quest to be a raving success. Once they realized how much anger it generated, they sent Yavn out to remind us to take it easy, that it's still better in nothing. And for what we pay for this (recall: nothing), I don't think we can rightfully expect anything more than what we get.

So Yavn's message in a nutshell: the quest wasn't perfect, but we tried; remember to treat each other with respect; and lighten up--you should be happy that you get anything at all.

Cheers!
    There, I said it, and I aint gonna edit.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I'm back and after some time I have my money back still can't believe this game is free wow.

Personally I never took from the letter that he was blaming us for being unhappy. I didn't get that at all. At first I thought it was a bit odd that he was reading us the rules in a newsletter however after thinking about it, I think that more people will probably read the newsletter then would ever take the time to read the VMK Values. So if that is what it takes to get people to read some of the rules of VMK so be it although whether or not that would also make them listen is completely different.

As far as the game being free with some things I say you know what this is a free game I'm not paying for it so I shouldn't get really upset for example with things never being released however in other aspects I don't think the game being free is any excuse. Like poor customer service. That is NO excuse for not being nice to the players just because the game is free. I look at it like this the only way this game can stay open is if people continue to play. If we didn't play the game would close. So they should really respect the fact we do play. I mean if we didn't and the game closed they would be out of the job. So I guess they should just be nice to us and keep us happy.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry,

VMK Pal is not acceptable.

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BikerPrince View Post
    Looking at this from a business perspective, what Yavn is doing here is called Damage Control.
    Hmm... well it's not the worst attempt at damage control I've seen. I have to give that prize to President Clinton's press conference of January 26, 1998: "I want you to listen to me. I'm gonna say this again. I did not have..."

But Yavn's latest missive smacks of "eat your vegetables because there are children starving in China." I wish someone would feed those kids already. They've been starving now for what... 60 years?

The best thing that "the powers that be" can do right now is make the angry questers forget why they are upset. That's just good public relations.

The masses are fickle, Yavn. They'll forget the revolution when you give them cake. Ned's new furniture is a step in the right direction. Hurray!

Oh and no more monkey shines in VMK events would be nice too.

Ricks (who wants the Pan water back! ĦViva la revolucion!)
    Zut alors! I have missed one!

Post Thanks / Like

Just clarifying, I'm not so upset with them that I've turned against Disney or gotten my blood pressure up. I'm disappointed in how badly they handled this and I'm sad for all the people who put so much effort into the quest only to have it yanked out from under them. But all we can do is shake our heads and move on.
    Now on to the cake woot!
    Mamacita
    AKA Mamacita in the VMK
    Past trips:
    WDWx7 (CBRx2, ASMx2, POR, Poly, FW)
    DLx7
    Next up, who knows!
    No time for goofin off, I got dawdlin to do!

Post Thanks / Like

While I read the scolding, I wondered more about the repeated "50th" mentions --

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDragonErin View Post
    VMK or Virtual Magic Kingdom is a FREE online multiplayer game and was launched as part of a promotion for the Disneyland 50th Celebration.
    . . .
    Remember again, VMK or Virtual Magic Kingdom is a FREE online multiplayer game. VMK was launched as part of a promotion for the Disneyland 50th Celebration.
    -- it felt more like a reminder that they could have closed this already. 50th is long gone, the park fun has been removed (really dissapointing my boys) and so don't be surprised . . .

Combining those lines with the "look at our other website" themes . . . we took the message differently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5togetherWDW View Post
    While I read the scolding, I wondered more about the repeated "50th" mentions --

-- it felt more like a reminder that they could have closed this already. 50th is long gone, the park fun has been removed (really dissapointing my boys) and so don't be surprised . . .

Combining those lines with the "look at our other website" themes . . . we took the message differently.
    I agree! We tell our kids to enjoy the game for what it is. Their rare may not be rare the next day. The game may be off the next day, so enjoy the fun while it is there.

Sure it may be frustrating at times. We just have to give the new VMK crew the time to break themselves in...rather than us breaking them out of the game and it shutting down

I have been thankful VMK has been free...not sure what I would do if they started charging! It is a great way for them to keep the Disney brand of parks in our minds...in between trips. Great advertising! So can anyone guess where the Kids (we now have teenagers - the last one just became a teenager*) want us to save money to go?

*HELP!!!!!!!!!!! no, no, no...just joking They are really good kids!
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't use VMK much other than saying hi to my friends and a few fun, laid-back mini games. I don't expect much from VMK, one day it could close and all those hours you spent on it would be wasted. For me, I just see it as a way to keep in touch and an escape from the world. However, from what I've read, I think that they should've handled it better. Is this their 3rd year? They should've had more experience by now. Their first year in beta sounded better than the following ones! :P
    Inferno. RIP VMK.
    -Happiest Place On Earth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytinkerbellprincess View Post
    However, from what I've read, I think that they should've handled it better. Is this their 3rd year? They should've had more experience by now. Their first year in beta sounded better than the following ones! :P
    I think, from what I have heard that they have a new set of programmers...so maybe are reinventing the wheel...you know, the first few versions may have been a bit square
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

Well I did get one question answered yesterday. I hit DLR for a DVD signing and I went to Innoventions. Those 4 machines were still there and they also added two more free standing ones in front of it. So the thought that they are closing it down, why would they invest the money into those new machines. And they also don't have a toontown, club penguin or pirates set up in there.

I'm still thinking they are now part of Disney online so trying to think up some way of having a layer of paid like they do pirates. They have done their advertising tool of Pirates last month and Toontown this month. Course we still haven't seen that yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Well obviously I was wrong.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: