Quantcast HUGE increase in rental stroller fees [merged threads] - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes!! That's a crazy increase!

We rented a double for our two older kids when we went last month. DS is 5 and DD turned 7 on the trip. We rent the double for a few reasons. We wouldn't have rented one at all if we felt safe letting DS walk but he doesn't pay close enough attention to his surrounding and would end up knocking into someone or getting lost. Renting for DS to sit we had to rent for DD to sit too otherwise there would have been an arguement.

We also had the babies stroller.

Next trip, in January, we'll probably rent a single for DS and DD will walk!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If it becomes too much of a burden, you can always bring your own stroller. That's what we do.

I mean in reality, renting strollers at WDW is nothing more than paying for convenience. It's not like it's some kind of necessary social service. Disney should charge whatever the market will bear for it and convenience services always cost more.
    I agree with you, to a certain extent, that this is true with the strollers. But the ECV's would be another matter altogether (if they ever did increase the rates).

Anyway, since it goes into effect the day after tomorrow, we should be able to gauge fairly quickly what the effect on stroller use will be.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

That is totally ridiculous especially since they are not gas powered! You can buy a nice stroller outside the gates at any large retaler for that cost and just throw it away when you are done and still spend less money!!!!!!
    POFQ Jan 2011
    Saratoga Springs May 2010
    POFQ May 2009 and Sept 2009
    POFQ Aug 2008
    POFQ Sept. and March 2007
    POFQ March 2006
    POFQ March 2005 POR July 2005
    POR Dec 2005
    CS August 2004
    Contemporary & POR May/June 2003
    CB May 2002
    OKW 2001
    Disney villas 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they'll do the same thing with the motorized scooters...
    Kind of a harsh statement, when some people may truly need that convenience for mobility.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    Well, there is always the other option of purchasing the strollers they have there. They were $40.00 in August of 2007. I'm not sure if they went up or not.
    We purchased this stroller for my 2 year old last year and for $40 it was a really nice stroller. We figured since we were there 8 days spending $40 once vs. $15/day this was a no brainer. It's actually a quality stroller that seemed resonably prices and the best part is that it's the same colors as Mickey Mouse. My son loved riding his Mickey stroller in WDW and he still does today.

As for the raised stroller rental fees, that is crazy at first glance. But after looking at the numbers this actually could make WDW more in profits. If they rent 2/3 of the single and 1/2 of the doubles the profits stay the same and my guess is that the demand will drop some but it wont be it won't be by 1/3. With the raised prices anything less than a 1/3 drop in rentals means more profit. Plus by renting less stollers there is less overhead, maintenacne & replacement costs.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Jacking up the price of stroller rentals to reduce the number of strollers in the parks makes no sense. That unfairly punishes those that actually need them. If they wanted to do that, it would make more sense to have pricing levels where they charge more for stroller rentals that are used for older children.

We bring a stroller for DD who is almost two, but our son is only four and still needs a stroller in places like Epcot and AK. He's too heavy for an umbrella stroller, but the WDW stroller types work great. So if we don't want to pay the insane rental fee, I guess we're expected to go buy a big jogging stroller for him to bring just to WDW?

I expect yearly price increases at WDW, but honestly the place is getting out of hand.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 umbrella strollers at Babies-R-Us for about $15 each for my kids then 2 and 5. They are easily folded and even have a storage bag on the back. It was no trouble to get the strollers on and off the bus and took up little room in the car on the way down. We made them stand out by buying the small bicycle licence plates and putting our last name on them. We actually found some at Wal-Mart that looked like our state flag!
    Dec 08 SSR & first trip at holidays!
    Jan/Feb 09 Girl's only weekend with McGoofy!
    Sept 09 bounceback free dining again!

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then." Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like

1) WDW knows you will share no expense for the little prince or princess.
    2) Or princes and princesses.
    3) After all, look at the ridiculous prices for BBB and character meals.
    4) Let alone the new surcharges for meals during popular times.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitch2004 View Post
    Wow that’s expensive. We are going this year and were going to rent a double stroller on the night we got to Fantasmic and MNSSHP to try and cut down on the stuff we have to carry out of the park when everyone is trying to get on the busses after the show and Halloween party. I have Irish twins under the age of two. Last year when we went we didn’t use Disney strollers because the baby was only 2 months old. I glad we spent the extra money last year buying light weight travel strollers with straps and a bag for travel, because I would be able to afford a Disney double stroller for 7 days.
    I'm not sure how renting a stroller will cut down on the stuff you have to carry out of the parks, you are not allowed to bring the strollers out of the park so you would still have to carry everything out. You would be better off bringing your own stroller from home to lug everything out in.

I agree that the price of the rental strollers are going to be HIGH! Maybe Disney is trying to phase out their own strollers, in today's sue happy existence
    people could be trying to sue Disney because their cherubs have hurt themselves jumping in or out of the stroller,
    the stroller didn't have adequate shade and they got sun burned and it is Disney's fault. The safety strap didn't work and Suzy fell out when we ran over that ladies foot so Disney must pay for pain and suffering. Etc, etc, etc.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

A double will rent for ... and no, this isn't a typo ... $31/day
    I was just thinking of this - that is what we pay for a mid-size car from National while in Orlando through our Emerald Aisle program!!! In fact, last June I think we only paid $25 a day!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    Let alone the new surcharges for meals during popular times.
    Errrr not to get off topic but ...
    What new meal surcharges?
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmagic4 View Post
    When we went to MVMCP the strollers were free so maybe they will be at MNSSHPP? I hope so
    They are.

Except for one late EMH, DS4 successfully went stroller-less this past trip. Seems like we dodged this bullet!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the new prices do cut down on the stroller rentals as they are large, bulky and take up a ton of room in the parks. What they should do is invest in new strollers that are slimmer. I too am tired of getting run over by those large plastic beasts. I know people say they are convenient but at what cost. 2 yrs ago I invested $50 in a smaller, travel stroller from One-Step Ahead. It has the basket underneath and canopy on the top and because if its design it is sturdier then an umbrella stroller and does not tip over if you put anything heavier then a soda in the back. It also reclines for napping. The real plus is that when it folds up, it is very compact and then and you can just put it over your shoulder with the strap or sit with it between your legs on the bus and it does not take up any additional room.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't see why Disney would want to lower the usage of these. I mean, what difference does it make, do excessive rentals cut down on park capacity? I can only assume profit is the motive behind this...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is a way to keep ticket prices down!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Maybe this is a way to keep ticket prices down!
    Actually, it's about that time of year for them to announce the yearly price increase on those too

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect it's an attempt to reduce the number of strollers in the parks.

Hopefully they'll do the same thing with the motorized scooters, so I'll no longer have to be terrorized by The Scooter Mafia when strolling around Main Street.
    I agree, the stoller use is out of control. Also I would imagine with so many of the bigger kids using strollers, they are probably being damaged to a greater extent. A co-worker rents a stroller for her son (older than 7 and not small) just because he is lazy. Her words!
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Default where should we look for a stroller to purchase? (on site)

I don't really want to bring a stroller when we fly... but we'll need a stroller. Our children are are 4 and 6 and just can't handle long days in the sun (we're pasty Canadians).

Last year we rented a double... this year it looks like it's cheaper to rent 2 singles- why'd they price the singles cheaper? (just curious)

Because we're staying on-site, (no rental car) where should we look for a stroller to purchase?

I know we should plan for mid-day breaks... but if there's a hitch in our plan and we end up at the park longer than expected, they do much better in a stroller.

I'd like to think we practice good stroller etiquette...
    Next visit: November 2012 AoA :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biodtl View Post

I understand where you're coming from, but I hope they don't - they are already expensive enough and DH legitimately needs one (he fell 28 feet and landed on his feet so he can't walk distances), but we really don't need the extra expense.
    If WDW ECV rental prices increase and strain your budget too much, check into renting one through an off-site company. If you ask for referrals on the Disabilities board, you'll have a good starting point for research.

The only downside to renting offsite is keeping the ECV in your room. It can be a bit tight, particularly at the value resorts. But someone who needs an ECV at all times would have it at all times, which just might outweigh the small disadvantage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    Errrr not to get off topic but ...
    What new meal surcharges?
    There is now a surcharge ($4 per person, I think) for character meals and buffets during various times of the year deemed as "premium".
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: