Quantcast Bed Bugs at Poly???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Bed Bugs at Poly???

I'm just curious, I stayed at the Poly, Rarotonga bldg., got bites upon waking and was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same problem??

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed in Rarotonga twice so far, and have never experienced a problem. Always had super clean, beautiful rooms!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any problems at WDW period and especially not at the Poly. Not that it couldn't happen, but given their record I would say it was most likely sand fleas from the beach or those pesky mini mosquito "no see um" things! We only had one run in with them and that was on the balcony at the AKL a few years ago.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that certainly wouldn't have been the first time I was bit by sand fleas... thanks for the option though, the thought of bed bugs really freaks me out!!! It's so dark in those rooms you never know what's lurking under things.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Since posting this, my husband and I have treated our bedroom for bedbugs for the last 5 weeks, and they are still not gone! I returned home from Disney in Nov. with them in tow! Apparently we're not the only ones coming home from a Disney World with them. Our exterminator told us we are the 5th case that they've heard of.
    So, just a little tip before traveling, ANYWHERE...buy the spray for your luggage that repels bed bugs from a reputable exterminator...this is the worst thing I have gone thru, the few dollars you'll spend for this will save you much more in the end including your sanity!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Terrible!!!!

I feel terrible for you.We were there the same time you were and didn't have a problem, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. We stayed at the TOKELAU building. Don't people bring them in. ???
    ¸,ø¤º°`¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,Karen°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸¸,DVC MEMBER
    ¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø"If you believe in Magic, you belong..."¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`° º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø

Post Thanks / Like

They're saying because of so many international travelers they are bringing them in! And how many international travelers are at Disney...TONS! Also, we were told that not only could we get them from the room but just from our luggage being next to someone elses luggage on the plane. The bugs will just crawl into someone elses bag. Thats why the spray is so important, it should just repel them.

It's horrible...and I love going to Disney but at this point...I'm done with traveling!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

This repellant, do you just spray it on the outside of your luggae and what is the name of it?

Thank you.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Can this be bought at Wal mart or any other place easily? I do not want this problem to happen so to stop it before it starts sound good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

....recently listened to a news story on the sale of used mattresses & bed-bugs (NYC radio..I think Newsradio 880?)....and the "after-story" had some talk about bed-bug control. There were a few products mentioned, and this website was one that was cited in the report to get products:

<snip>

....hope this helps?
    Last edited by TammiMcMan; 04-21-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Removed URL per INTERCOT's tos
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bed Bugs at Poly???

Wow that is really alarming! We are staying at the POly in Oct. I too would have contacted Disney asap. We have been to WDW on property atleast 20 times and have never experienced anything like this and we have stayed at the Deluxe down to value resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update...Disney did contact me yesterday which I was happy about(it has been about a week since I called them about the problem) The woman just asked if she could tape our conversation and she asked me various questions about when we visited, when I noticed bites, how much we've put out for all of the treatments and bedding etc....
    She said they are going to have their pest control go out and look at the room. I don't even care if they find something and don't tell me about it, I just want them to get rid of them so this doesn't happen to anyone else.
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds as if they are taking it seriously which is good news. Hopefully this ordeal will be over for you soon.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

We stay at the Poly frequently. During one of our stays in the Hawaii bldg, my son woke up with huge bites all over his face and neck. He was sleeping on the day bed. That was the one and only time, and nothing came home with us. Were you in the Hawaii bldg?
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

we were in Rarotonga Bldg. I did read about someone else waking with bites though but don't know what bldg they were in.
    I guess we just got a little hitchhiker!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard about this at WDW on the news. We went in March of 07 and 08. Our 07 we stayed in POR and 3 out of 4 of us came home with bits--Small ones. Thought maybe it was slight case of chicken pox since the kids had the chicken pox shot, but it could not explain why I had them--hubbie did not ???We were all in same places at the same time. ?? Never reported it since we were not too sure. Nothing luckily got back home and into our beds-Thank goodness.--Sorry to hear about your experience

We did stay again at POR in 08, but did not have any issues with the bites this time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been checking back on this link to check on your updates if. I hope that everything you are going through at home has been successful for you and that your visitors are gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Awww, thanks for the concern. It has been a week since we did our 4th treatment and so far I've had no bites! I'm still waiting to hear back from Disney...I highly doubt if they do find anything they are going to be willing to share that info with me...but ya never know.
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

I work for an industry that deals w/bedbugs on a regular basis. Our company even requires us to attend seminar on this subject. (EEWWWW)
    Sprays and repellants are fine, but will not kill ALL of the bugs or their offspring. A few tips...don't set your luggage on the floor after you empty it. Closet shelf is best. Don't be shy about checking your beds for tell-tale signs of bedbugs. They;re virtually clear before the feed, but once they have, they will leave a dark "blood" streak as they move across the bed. They also kinda congregate around the edgings of the mattress, so look around the bottom edge too. They prefer bedding (hence the name), but also like dark out-of-the-way places as well. We've seen them in the headboards on the walls, picture frames, and dressers. But, it doesn't matter where they are,,,they can "smell" you and will find you in the night (sounds creepy don't it?) They're not toxic and their bites are worrisome at best. They are brought to hotels by international travelers, and once you ger them and take them home, they are almost impossible to get rid of! The one thing that will kill them is extreme heat, So, if you've brought home more than the usual vaca souvenirs, put everything in the dryer and max heat for about 30 min. Then wash as usual and dry again! AS for infestation in your home, exterminators are best for that! If your're really freaked out and want to avoid contact, you can get a "Protect-A-Bed" cover for your mattress and foundation w/a "lock" to ensure you're not their next meal and a spray for the in and outside of your luggage, in case it comes in contact w/someone elses that has been infested!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kemps@wdw View Post
    If your're really freaked out and want to avoid contact, you can get a "Protect-A-Bed" cover for your mattress and foundation w/a "lock" to ensure you're not their next meal and a spray for the in and outside of your luggage, in case it comes in contact w/someone elses that has been infested!
    I am the one who started the thread over a year ago and I invested in that cover for our mattresses. It was well worth the money to ensure my sound sleeping at night. I have traveled 3 times this year and I'm going back to the Poly in November. I always travel with the bed bug luggage spray and never put my bags on the beds or floors. And I immediatly bring all of the clothes to the laundry room. I've not had a problem since our "issue" It did take us close to 3 months to rid ourselves of our little friends.
    All I can say is, invest in some Steri-Fab and bed bug luggage spray when traveling. It will save you alot in the end.
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Share This Thread On Social Media: